It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User
Unhappy Large Thyroid Nodules - pain, discomfort - HELP!

I seem to be feeling so much worse so quickly! I've got the 4.6 and 5.2CM nodules - one on each side of my thyroid. They have been pressing on my trachea for awhile.

My neck hurts and the pain seems to be covering a larger area of my neck. Now my shoulder and chest hurt too. I am short of breath most of the time. I'm still waiting FNA biopsy results. I'm having another ultrasound tomorrow to see if it's pressing on my carotid artery and making me dizzy.

This is all so scary. Has anyone had symptoms like this or know anything about this subject????????

Lisa

Old 09-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Large Thyroid Nodules - pain, discomfort - HELP!

My neck hurt, and that was how I finally found my 2.5cm thryoid nodule (mine was cancerous, but my ENT said because it was pushing on things, it could definitely hurt even if it weren't). The FNA aggravated it a bit as well.

I took advil for the pain, and in my case it definitely helped. I think toward the end, just knowing it was there made me stiff and it even more uncomfortable.

I hope you can get those out soon---you will feel better immediately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Thanks Reece,

I appreciate your response. I'm lobbying hard to get them out. Still waiting for my biopsies, as well as the results from the MRI and carotid ultrasound. The second doctor ordered more labs. He gave me the name of "the best surgeon" in our county so I feel like I have a direction to go in at least.

Lisa

Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Lisa,

How awful for you to have this pain and discomfort! I had a lot of pain in my neck, for about 20 years, with the pain shooting up my jaws and into my ears, and down my chest and between my shoulder blades. About 20 years ago, I had a golf-ball sized swelling in my neck, which was my thyroid gland, but since my uptake test was "normal", it was generally ignored. At that time, I also had trouble breathing when lying on my back, and had trouble shouting.

Fast forward to now, and my TT 4 weeks ago showed the gland had been nearly completely destroyed by 20 years of antibody attacks. I think that is what caused the pain, at least for me. The destruction of the gland was painful for me. Even with all that pain, my ditzy doc insisted my thyoid was fine because my TSH's were "normal" - but now, after the TT, that pain is gone, thank God! It is the one thing I can say, that is better since my TT - and getting rid of that awful pain (like someone was hitting me in the neck with a baseball bat) made the surgery worth it! I had a cold nodule, but it was not large - only about 1.5cm.

Do you have antibodies? If so, their destruction of your gland may cause you pain, on top of everything else. For me, that was mainly the source of the pain, I believe.

Keep us posted!

Ora

Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Wow Ora - 20 years ?!? Yikes! Poor you! I cannot even imagine... Your symptoms sound sooo familiar.

I do have TPO antibodies. You've given me another avenue to explore and another possible explanation for the pain. Thank you thank you thank you Ora and Reece for sharing your experience - the more I know, the better I can manage my healthcare.

I hope your next 20 years are twice blessed and make you forget about the last 20!

Lisa

Closed Thread