It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

Christina027 HB User
Arrow I am confused about birth control pills!!

I have been on Armour for two months and are also on birth control pills. I thought that if you were taking thyroid meds and you are taking birth control pills, they should be low estrogen because estrogen interferes with the thyroid hormone. Now, I am officially confused because I just read that if you are on thyroid meds you should NOT take low dose birth control pills because the thyroid hormone binds to estrogen. This is what the book [I]Thyroid Balance[I] said about birth control pills:

Thyroid hormone supplement interacts with the estrogen in birth control pills, causing less of the estrogen to enter your bloodstream......Generally, doctors prescribe oral contraceptives with a higher amount of estrogen to offset the interaction with thyroid hormone supplement. The "low hormone" birth control pills may not be a good choice if you take thyroid hormone supplement.

I have to be on a birth control pill (for medical reasons), and I do not want it to sabotage improving my thyroid function. Any pearls of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Christina

Last edited by Christina027; 09-24-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: I am confused about birth control pills!!

Just take it at a different time of day --- take the thyroid pill in the morning, the bcp at night, or visa versa.

I take both in the morning----synthroid really early in the am, and bcp around breakfast---I don't have any problem.

Are you having a problem? If not, ignore the book---as long as you start both together, you've adjusted your dosage accordingly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: I am confused about birth control pills!!

I will tell you that my experience with Synthroid and BCPs was NOT GOOD. Within 3 months of starting the BCPs (Mircette-low dose), my TSH went from 1.0 to 8.6. The estrogen definitely interfered with the Synthroid. I had to stop taking them. No one else I talked to ever seemed to have such severe issues.

I also separated my pills (Synthroid in AM, BCPs and night) and it didn't matter. The other poster was correct in that it is something that occurs in the liver so it doesn't matter when you take them.

You should try either the patch or the Nuvaring.

Closed Thread