It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

ajbrandish HB User
Continued Hypothyroidism even with increasing Synthroid dosage

For the past 10 months I have been battling a rising TSH level. I was diagnosed Hypothyroid 3 years ago. I started with a 50 mcg dosage of Synthroid. That dosage worked well for more than 2 years. In January 2006, I went in for my regular endo checkup and found out that my TSH was on the rise again. It was 5.2 at that point. My endo increased my dosage to 75 mcg. At my followup visit in March 2006 (2 months after the dosage increase), my TSH was back down to 2.4. My endo likes my TSH to be 2.0 or lower so she had me come back in April to see if it was any lower. In April (1 month later!) it was back up to 3.4. It had been going down, and 1 month later it was going back up. So she raised my dosage to 88 mcg in April 2006. I was scheduled to see her again in June 2006, but I ended up seeing my General Dr. in May for some asthma problems. He ran my TSH at that point, and it was 2.4. A few weeks later I started having hyperthyroid symptoms while I was out of town so they backed me back down to 75 mcg. I felt much better on the 75 mcg, and my TSH was 2.2 in June. But in July I was having major hypothyroid symptoms, and my TSH was back up to 4.2 so they switched me back to the 88 mcg. In late August, my TSH was 2.4. But now in September my TSH is back up to 3.2 so they want to switch me to 100 mcg Synthroid. I have not noticed any hypo symptoms yet.

That is probably so confusing to read. It has been a very frustrating 10 months, especially after being stable for 2 years. Basically it seems that when I first get switched to a new dosage, it is extremely effective. Sometimes even too effective, with the hyper symptoms when I first switched to 88 mcg. But then after a month or so, my TSH starts going back up. I just want to get stabilized!! I have had bloodwork and been in the dr.s office 2 or 3 times a month since January. And there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. What if the same pattern happens with the 100 mcg?? Maybe this is just how it goes when the thyroid really starts failing. But I'm starting to wonder if my dr.s just like collecting that copay 2 or 3 times a month!! Anyone been through this or have any advice for me? Thanks so much!!

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User
Re: Continued Hypothyroidism even with increasing Synthroid dosage

Well, I'm a fan of Armour, so I'm probably prejudiced, but I would be inclined to just maybe switch to that, since you're having such a problem with $ynthroid. I'm a believer that Armour supplies all you need to keep your thyroid on track as much as possible.

You might ask your Dr. to let you try it to see how you do on it, wouldn't hurt anything. Doesn't seem you're making much progress now anyway.

Just remember, anything you try is going to take time to work, it won't be an overnight miracle, it takes time to adjust (usually). Although, sometimes, you will feel better almost right away. But you have to get to an optimal dose slowly.

Hopefully your Dr. is not one of those who is opposed to change. It just may take a bit of coaxing.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrandish
Maybe this is just how it goes when the thyroid really starts failing.
I am so sorry this is so miserable for you right now, but my guess is that you have it right (see quoted sentence) ... the reason this is happening. From all you have said it does appear your thyroid is in destruct mode. Have you asked your doctor about it? What does the doctor say?

If that's true, I'm not sure you can do much more than continue to test and adjust meds, hope the thyroid gives up completely sooner than later, since I understand it is far easier to treat it once it stops functioning entirely.

I would love to understand all this better, why sometimes a thyroid is just underfunctioning and stays that way for life while other times it fluctuates wildly until it finally dies.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
(female)

ajbrandish HB User

Thanks so much to both of you for your replies! I guess the most frustrating thing for me is that each dose works for a month or two before my TSH goes up again. In researching today I read that a theory that always increasing the dosage at the first sign of an increase, especially in quick succession, can actually cause the thyroid to fail more. I've asked to wait a little bit longer before increasing the dose again, but my dr.s don't think that is wise since my TSH "turned a corner." I guess they are referring to it going down and then going back up again.

Both of my dr.s are willing to consider Armour, but they both feel I would be even less stable on it so they said I would need to come in for bloodwork even more often. I guess with the pattern I am on, I don't have anything to lose, though!

Thanks again for the replies!
Amanda

Old 09-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Far be it from me to ever argue with anyone's doctor, he/she who knows everything about your medical history, etc.

I do wonder why the labs are being done more often than every six weeks. My doc did mine every six weeks until we reached what he calls "in range but still tweaking" and now we do eight weeks between labs. I do understand your concerns there if the labs are being done more frequently than that. That said, I do know docs differ on how they do that and your doctor likely has his reasons.

As long as there are no allergy reactions, I don't think a leveling process is ever the place to switch which medicines are prescribed.

I think, if I were you, I would try to talk this out with the doctor and get some understanding why the labs are so frequent and what the doctor thinks is going on, like that ...

Last edited by ErinBeth; 09-29-2006 at 09:11 AM.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

ajbrandish HB User

Thanks ErinBeth! That all makes a lot of sense! My general dr. is the one being more aggressive than every 6 weeks. I think he is hoping to get me leveled off sooner so I can stop being so stressed about it. My endo is willing to take it a little slower and not be so aggressive. But they both think my dosage should increase now. TSH is 3.2, and I feel great. I don't think I start having symptoms until my TSH is 5+. I just don't understand increasing the dosage when I am within range on the TSH (on the high side) and I feel great. I don't want to mess with things when I'm doing good. But on the other hand I don't want to get to the point where I am having symptoms so I am tempted to accept the increase to avoid that.

I've always suspected that my TSH likes to stabilize in the upper range. I've only been under 2 one time, and I didn't really feel too good. Not anxious, but very hyper. For the two years I was stable, I bounced between 2 and 4. So I guess I'd really consider myself stable at 3.2 based on my history.

Thanks again for talking to me about all this! I only know 1 other person with this so I don't have many people to talk to about it.

Amanda

Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Oh! I did not see where you said you felt well! That changes things. I would want to stay where I am, too, and not want to change things so quickly.

I would think you need to go by how you feel, not by what your TSH says.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
(female)

ajbrandish HB User

Isis, don't feel bad for not noticing that I mentioned that I feel well. I intentionally played that down. My endo always tells me to trust my lab results more than my symptoms. So I've just gotten in the habit of not even thinking about how I feel. Also I was not diagnosed b/c of symptoms. I was pregnant, and it just showed up in all those pregnancy bloodtests. My TSH was 7.1, and I had no symptoms. In fact, I think I might only have symptoms when we change my dosage too fast, and then the symptoms are hyper symptoms... anxiety, irritability, insomnia.

But I was also diagnosed with acid reflux recently. I associated it with the increase in my Synthroid dosage. I would take the 88 mcg for several days, and I would have heartburn. Then I would go back to the 75 mcg, and the heartburn would go away. Unfortunately, I needed the 88 mcg so I had to go on an acid reflux prescription too. It's been fine for months. Now today I am having problems with it again. And I saw a few threads on this board that acid reflux can be a hypo symptom. So now I'm wondering if I am having hypo symptoms. Just not sure... but I do know I am not tired, depressed or having anxiety so I feel pretty good.

Amanda

Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

I agree that if you're feeling fine, LEAVE it ALONE (Personally, I don't remember what that is,,,)

And if Endo wants TSH down, why not add some Cytomel to your 75 mcg's of Synthroid? (Cytomel is T3 only - also supressing TSH) Most of us feel better getting both, I know I do . Or you could try Armour or Thyrolar. They are both t3/t4 combo meds

Closed Thread