It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Neck really sore after biopsy today :-(

I had three biopsies today (large multi nodular goiter) whereby I had 3 jabs to 'numb the area' and then 3 needles jingled around in each of the large nodules - thats 12 flamin needles in total!

My neck is looking a bit bruised and a bit like a pin cushion, but what I didnt expect was for my entire neck to be so tender - all around the back too.

Anyone else experience this?

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: Neck really sore after biopsy today :-(

When I had my Thy biopsy it was only for ONE area. Don't remember multi needles, but anything is possible. And YES it was sore & seemingly inflamed after. I can well imagine that 3 biopsies would totally set the area OFF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudufu
When I had my Thy biopsy it was only for ONE area. Don't remember multi needles, but anything is possible. And YES it was sore & seemingly inflamed after. I can well imagine that 3 biopsies would totally set the area OFF
When I had my biopsy in the UK it was just the one needle in one nodule. Now we've moved to Oz things are done differently!! Three needles per nodule to ensure they have all the cells they need. I'm not complaining about it though because at least they're being thorough - glad I didnt know what was gonna happen before I got there though - not sure they'd have gotten me through the door!!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

had 4 nodules done last tuesday. get the results today. thought it was painful, never felt numb though they told me i would for hours after. a week later i am still bruised and a little sore but nothing like the first couple of days. my whole neck hurt. still have a bit of a hoarse voice and have no idea why.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC
had 4 nodules done last tuesday. get the results today. thought it was painful, never felt numb though they told me i would for hours after. a week later i am still bruised and a little sore but nothing like the first couple of days. my whole neck hurt. still have a bit of a hoarse voice and have no idea why.
Thanks for posting. I didnt feel numb either! Good luck with your results!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
(female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

I had one cystic nodule on the left side and had it biopsied in August. He first aspirated the cyst completely and biopsied. They sent it to the lab and came back needing more. He went back in a different spot which really hurt. I was bruised for a month and in a great deal of pain for a few weeks. It got gradually less, but it was still there. Granted, I am not great with pain and have a low tolerance, but still. Anyway, My cyst came back, and yesterday I had it aspirated again. They didn't dig around to biopsy, but it still hurt like hell. He said the walls of my nodule were very thick and that's why it was so tender and hurt. I'm not bruised today... just a red hole/mark, and I'm less sore than I was the first time around, thank God. It's still tender though, and I can't really stretch my head/neck back. I'm guessing it'll be a few days.

Good luck. I hope that's the end of it for you!

Nancy

Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMommy7
I had one cystic nodule on the left side and had it biopsied in August. He first aspirated the cyst completely and biopsied. They sent it to the lab and came back needing more. He went back in a different spot which really hurt. I was bruised for a month and in a great deal of pain for a few weeks. It got gradually less, but it was still there. Granted, I am not great with pain and have a low tolerance, but still. Anyway, My cyst came back, and yesterday I had it aspirated again. They didn't dig around to biopsy, but it still hurt like hell. He said the walls of my nodule were very thick and that's why it was so tender and hurt. I'm not bruised today... just a red hole/mark, and I'm less sore than I was the first time around, thank God. It's still tender though, and I can't really stretch my head/neck back. I'm guessing it'll be a few days.

Good luck. I hope that's the end of it for you!

Nancy
Hi Nancy

Sounds like you had a nightmare last time. Good to hear that its not so bad this time. Whats their plans for the cyst long term? Will they need to keep aspirating it or will they eventually remove it?

My neck is not so tender today thankfully. It was pretty swollen last night (well more than usual lol) but seems to have gone down a bit now thankfully.

Take care

Rach xxxx

Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

I had one nodule biopsied about 3 weeks ago and they used 6 syringes to extract tissue/fluid. The results were inconclusive SO tomorrow I get to go down to another place and they're going to try and biopsy both of the larger nodules - one on each side of my neck.

I was pretty sore for about 5 days - with pain radiating up my neck to my ear and down into my shoulder. I expect the same, but more of it, tomorrow.

Hopefully, these will give me answers.

Good luck!

Lisa

Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

I've just had my results and have been given the all clear!

I'm over the moon about it I must admit. I'm also happy about the fact that my Endo seems to be happy to go along with my decision of getting it removed. With lobes of 9.3cm and 12.4+cm (and still growing) its time to go I think!

I'm now on the waiting list for a TT and very very happy about it!

Good luck Lisa with your second lot of biopsies.

Rach xxxx

Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 AM   #10
(female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

Rach, I'm so glad it's benign!! Best of luck now with your surgery.

As for me, I am seeing an Endo in December (first available appt. sigh...) but my ENT says since it is benign, I should not worry. If it keeps coming back, I guess they keep aspirating? The radiologist who did the procedure though told me that it's just cosmetic. If it bothers me, we aspirate. If it doesn't, then I just live with a benign cyst on my thyroid? Not really sure, and I guess I'll wait to see the Endo and see what she says. My Thyroid levels in my original bloodwork were "fine" however, the more I learn, I know there are wide ranges of "fine" and it's different for everyone really. I guess as for now I'm at a standstill and just relieved it's gone... for now!

Good luck to you! I'm glad you're feeling a little better. Me too. :-)

Nancy

Old 10-04-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Congratulations! That's wonderful news Rach! You must be relieved to be near some resolution.

I'm glad yours is benign too Nancy - just a pain in the neck...

Thanks for the good wishes and let us know how you go.

Lisa

Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
(female)

aray827 HB User

Rach - I just had a biopsy of my thyroid nodule this morning. So I know how you feel. I had four aspirations done. The first was not that bad - just a little pressure. The second one brought me to tears and the third and fourth ones pinched in the beginning and then just pressure. I'm glad it's over with, but I too have a very sore neck. It hurts to swallow and talk at a normal level. Right now I can speak just above a whisper. I'm a teacher. So I hope it's better by tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting for the results. I'm glad yours came back benign! LisaBob - please let me know how everything turns out for you. I feel for you and having to do the biopsy again.

Closed Thread