It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Unhappy Please I Need Answers....anyone?

I saw my OBGYN today and voiced my concern about my thyroid and the lumps in my neck. He felt my neck and my thyroid and immediately told me I need a scan done on my thyroid. He did'nt even have me swallow to check it. He just said you need a scan done. I also had blood drawn to actually check my levels. They will have the thyroid results tommorow. I then have the scan done Thursday 10-5. I have to be at the hospital at 7:00a.m and then back at 1:00p.m.Then I have to be back at the hospital at 7:00a.m. on Friday morning 10-6. Some questions for you all? What am I to expect with the scan.My nurse told me I would have a IV put in to run Iodine in.What are they looking for and why do I have to go back three different times?Another question? I have had this lump (a few mm's below my ear lobe and right behind jaw line for a year.). I have been told by numerous docs, oncologist and seurgeons that it is nothing. That was last year November 2005, January 2006 (seurgeon); and checked again April 2006(by another seurgeon) each time was told not to worry. But, in February 2006 I found another lump in the right side of my neck alot farther down this time. The seurgeon in April told me not to worry. I had chest x-rays done on July 30th,2006 for a pulled back muscle and the x-rays were prestine...nothing abnormal. So, if I had thyroid cancer that has spread to my lymph nodes would'nt my chest x-rays been different? How long does thyroid cancer take to show itself and what are the symptoms? I have just recently had a feeling like there is something stuck in my throat, and it coincides with my cycles.
That has only been within the last 2 months. Iam so confused and so worried. I am only 27 and the mother to four children. I just need answers and information......PLEASE anyone?God Bless you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Please I Need Answers....anyone?

Well, I'm glad someone is finally doing something. You will have some answers soon.

As for the scan, when I had my first one done (like yours) it was done with I-123 (a radioactive isotope). I did not have it done by IV; however, I had to show up at a specific time to swallow a capsule of it and then I had to go back two or three times for the pictures. They take pictures at certain intervals because it has to do with how the iodine enters the thyroid and then leaves. The procedure (pictures) is quite easy. Again, though, I'm not sure about having the iodine administered via IV but I'm sure that it is just another way to do it.

The chest x-rays: Sometimes thyroid cancer can spread to the lungs. It is not common for it to do this. Sometimes the x-rays show it, sometimes they don't. I know a few thyroid cancer survivors who have had it go to their lungs and, because it is so small, it doesn't show up on the x-ray but will show up on a whole body radioactive iodine (I-131) scan. The scan you are having this week will not address the lung area.

As for lymph nodes: Also the people that I know that have thyroid cancer spread to the lymph nodes are unaware of it. They lymph nodes never swell (or rarely do they swell). They usually don't find out about the lymph nodes spread until surgery when the surgeon can *see* the internal lymph nodes (the ones deep in your neck near the gland) are swollen. Other times, they don't find out that they have lymph node involvement until after their thyroid is removed and they are having a follow up RAI treatment. The lymph nodes will "light up" on a whole body scan. Fortunately RAI treatment is EXTREMELY effective at getting rid of this. If you have thyroid cancer WITH or WITHOUT lymph node involvement, you will have the same excellent prognosis.

Unfortunately, the scan that you are having on Friday will show NONE of these things and will focus only on the thyroid gland. That is fine. This is the normal process of detecting any abnormality. Depending upon what they see on the scan, they may then suggest that you have an ultrasound of the thyroid gland. They will do this if there are definite lumps. They will want to determine if they are liquid or solid. From then, there are the biopsies and ultimately, surgery.

Hang in there and keep us posted as to the results of your scan.

Christine

Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Unhappy Re: Please I Need Answers....anyone?

So, what do you think is wring with me?I know you have said in the past that it sounded like it was'nt thyroid cancer?From your experiance and from people you know, what is your onest opinion?Iam just so scared and hate waiting.Thanks for the previous reply.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Hmmmm....my *honest* opinion is that I don't think you have thyroid cancer. I will say that I have been wrong before. My cousin (male) had a HUGE, fast growing mass in his thyroid. He was losing weight, looking awful, feeling awful. I was sure that he had thyroid cancer because thyroid lumps/bumps in men are rare and when they do have them, it's usually cancer. Well, despite how huge and troublesome his lump was (about the size of a softball), it was benign.

In my "experience" in interacting with other thyroid cancer patients, *most* are asymptomatic and the cancer was found during a physical exam for other reasons. In most cases, the person had no other symptoms. There have been people I've known that just did not feel good either but they turned out to have other thyroid disorders along with their thyroid cancer. This is more uncommon.

Given your other complaints, it sounds more to me that your thyroid is inflamed. This does not mean I think you are "safe". Thyroid cancer is one of the fastest rising cancers out there right now and I wouldn't rule anything out. I think it is great that you are getting it checked. Try to remember that even if this does turn out to be your worst nightmare and you have thyroid cancer, it is SO VERY treatable. I know it is tough to hear the "BIG C" diagnosis, but quite honestly, I'd rather have thyroid cancer than something like diabetes or heart problems.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

ychonks HB User

Hello. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

One thing to know is that thyroid cancer is a very slow moving cancer. Not to say you have it. But I was living with a thyroid nodule on my right lobe for probably over 2 years that I knew of. And it did turn out to be malignant. And just like ChristineVA said it is also VERY CURABLE. You may just have a lump with cystic fluid in it and that is why the other doctors told you not to worry about the one behind your ear lobe and jaw. Do you know if they are going to biopsy your neck? Did they say why they are scanning you rather than doing a biopsy? Just curious.

I hope this helps to put your mind at ease but I know the feeling. Just remember too much stress is not good for your body.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Unhappy Re: Please I Need Answers....anyone?

I saw my OBGYN yesterday for my annual check up and displayed my concern about the lumps in my neck.He felt my thyroid and the rest of my neck and said I needed a scan of my thyroid done. They also did the blood tests and they of course were normal.Thats what has me more worried now than anything else. My OBGYN said if the results from the ultrasound come back normal then he will set me up with a seurgeon for the removal of the lymph nodes. Iam guessing if the thyroid scan comes back abnormal than I will have the so called "lypmh nodes" biopsied also. I would think anyways? Can you have nodules and/or cysts with normal thyroid blood results?Just so confuseing and worried. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. The first thing I think about when something in my life is wrong is my children. How they will be if something is wrong with me. This is not my first scare with the big "C". I had a benign lymph node removed from my neck in August of 1996, a scare with cervical cancer in March of 2003; and had a benign neurofobroma tumor removed from my tongue in November of 2005...(I know weird, huh?)!!All these benign things keep happening, but what happens if this time Iam not so lucky?The what if's are awful.Until I get the results, I won't be happy.My husband told me if it is bad, then we'll deal with it.I guess at some point you have to put it in Gods hands. You know?I wanted to know what you all think about the swollen lymph nodes, though?I have had the one on the left side of my neck for over a year.And the other node near my thyroid for at least 8 months.I had chest x-rays done July 30th,06 and they were prestine....nothing abnormal.I would think with duration of the nodes and if it was indeed cancer would'nt something have shown up in my x-rays?My friend said her dad had lymphoma and if I indeed had cancer it would be everywhere and I would be pretty sick.Iam not though. I eat and drink everyday and feel alright. Iam not haveing fevers, night sweats;and/or weight loss. So, I guess I would be more worried.Would'nt you?The one good thing about tommorow is the hospital I am haveing the scans at are close to my childrens school. I will going there in between the scans to be with my sons class for some reading and have lunch with both of my children.That will take my mind off of all that creap..for the time being. I look to them for strength and encouragement. They are everything to me. I look at them and I have a reason to keep going, although I want to crawl under a log and stay there forever!Well, I will post tommorow to let you all know how the scans go.And will post again when I get my results.Thanks for reading all this!God Bless you all.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
(female)

daisy01 HB User

my thoughts and prayers are with you hun xxx
This may not be the big *C* you may have nodules on your thyroid or fluid filled cysts. Some goitres are very fibrous and can be so enlarged and knotty that they push on and push out your lymph glands.

Like the others have said, if you have to have cancer then thyroid cancer is the best one to get, if there is such a thing. Its very slow growing and 99.9%curable.
When my daughter now aged 15, was 5 yrs old she went to bed absolutely normal looking and woke up looking like the 'elephant man' her neck and lymph glands were so swollen it was all resting on her chest. The hospital ran every test you could imagine, thyroid, allergies, TB, mumps abcesses even testing for tropical diseases and a possible snake bite but everything came back negative. She was due to have a biopsy done as 2 weeks later it was still there. I had been told by the paediatricians that they expected lymphatic cancer to be found and to prepare myself. The morning of the biopsy she sat on the hospital ward, waiting to go to the operating theatre, and the swelling went down just as suddenly as it came up. She didnt need the biopsy
To this day we don't know what it was that caused this, but she is fine now and it never happened again.
I really hope this goes someway to putting your mind at rest hun, let us know how you get on xxxx
best wishes
daisy

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Wink Re: Please I Need Answers....anyone?

Thanks Daisy1!I really appreciate your reply.All of you on here are wonderful.I feel like I can tell you all anything and I don't even know you.Its been a great comfort to me with all your wonderful and concerning replys.I do hope everything is alright with me. I need to be here for my children.They really need me.I will post...I promise when I get home.Thanks again alot!!Take care and God Bless you all.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

daisy01 HB User

i agree there are some great people on here with a whole array of knowledge and experience which they selflessly share. I could not of gotten well without them.
I honestly feel that your doctor is erring on the side of caution and making sure you get the right tests done for the very fact that you have small children to consider. Its better than them ignoring you and letting you get ill. There are so many survivors of thyroid cancer who post here not because they are still sick but because they know your fear and know they are the only ones who can truly understand what you are going through right now.
just keep posting for however long you need us, even if its only for a rant someone will listen to you xxx
daisy

Closed Thread