It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

myshannon HB User
Child (7 yrs old) with hyperthyroid

I am new to anytype of chat room, so I hope I am doing this right. I am hoping someone, anyone has heard of hyperthyroid in a child. My daughter is 7 years old and we were just told that she is hyperthyroid. Appx. 1 year ago she was hypothyroid - that was the first we learned of any thyroid issues with her. 6 months ago her levels were about the same. 3 weeks ago she went to hyperthyroid when we had her routine blood work done. Her T3 was 556. We did repeat the bloodwork- again high. Doctor told us to have a radioactive iodine scan done. We did scan at the hospital yesterday and today. She had an absorption rate of 86.1 at 6 hours and 101% at 24 hours. The doctor started her on meds.

Has anyone ever heard of a child (not a teenager-a child 7 to 8 years old) ever having hyperthyroid. The doctor a Pediatric Endo. never had a child so young with this. The nucular dept. at the hospital never had a child as young and also told me only about 1 in 25 have that high of an absorption number. The pharmacy never filled an RX for a child so young with the thyroid med.

I am looking into a doctor in Manhattan, NY to see if they may have had a child so young.

Has anyone heard, known, anything to do with a young child and this happening to them. Any and all information is appreciated.

I am so concerned for my daughter. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for her. She is a tiny little girl.

I am feeling angry, dull, confused, and so much more.

Let me know if you ever heard of a child so young.
Is it common to go from hypo to hyper.?

Thanks

Last edited by myshannon; 10-03-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Child (7 yrs old) with hyperthyroid

I'm sorry you and she have to be dealing with this stuff. Life sometimes deals a rotten hand.

The most common thyroid disorder in children is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and it causes hypoT. Was your daughter originally diagnosed with that? It would be confirmed by the presence of TPO or Tg antibodies, which destroy thyroid tissue and make it incapable of making thyroid hormone. At some point after the onset of Hashi's, some people become hyperthyroid, due to the sudden release of stored hormone from the ailing thyroid gland. This is known as Hashitoxicosis, and it causes hyperT. I suspect that may be what's happening to your daughter.

The most common cause of hyperT in either adults or children is a disorder known as Graves' disease. If your daughter had never been hypoT in the past, Graves' would be the most likely explanation. This would be confirmed by the presence of TSI antibodies. It would probably make sense to test for all the antibodies at this time if it has never been done before.

I'm sorry I don't know much about the treatment of children except that I have read that if Graves' is the cause of the hyperT, in children, it's better to treat with anti-thyroid drugs rather than radioactive iodine, especially in children under 10.

Make it your mission to find the very best pediatric endo you can. Doctors too frequently muck up adult thyroid treatment. When it comes to kids, there can be no room for error. If you have any doubt about the proposed treatment, trust your maternal instinct and get other opinions.

Very best of luck to you both.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

I'm so sorry about your little girl!!! I did a Google search with this criteria "hyperthyroidism children statistics" - it came up with quite a number of results that you may find helpful. You may also be able to use them to find a good doctor in your area - or a good doctor a little further away...

Anyway, good luck to you and your baby. Please tell us what you find.

Lisa

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Yes I have heard of Graves in a young child. When you start talking about this to people you find out a lot of them know of, or have a thyroid problem. My daughter's sister-in law's young child had it. She was treated with meds I think,now she is a twenty three year old and she seems fine. Her Mom got Graves after she did, when she was in her forties, strange, huh? It's just that hypo is much more common than hyper, and Graves is more common in young women,it seems, and sometimes kids. She'll be fine,as long as she has a good doctor, and he monitors her regularly.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I agree with midwest wholeheartedly!

I just turned 33 and I had hyper symptoms my whole life. I even found a report from my first obgyn at the age of 18 saying "mom suspects thyroid disease test daughter for all possibilities" none of those tests found anything wrong with me. I even got married at 19 had a child at 21 and remarried again at 26. I got the flu in 11/2000 and by 2/01 felt heart racing didnt know why so went to dr. and on a routine blood work they said m TSH leve was 0.03 next level was 0.01. I was told by an Endo to just get the Radioactive Iodine done and become hypo so all i had to do was just take the suppliments for the rest of my life. Well I am stubborn and was scrared so i found another dr. who told me I had Grave's Disease(mild case and no goiter pressent) and since i wanted to get pregnant he put me on Propilthyoricil(PTU) and siad to see him in 3months. By 10/02 I was normal and with the help of a Reproductive Endocronologist(RE) i was able to get pregnant with a child for my 2nd husband. When i was pregnant my tsh started getting high so i went off med's and body stayed normal throughout entire pregnancy. While still of drugs I was still in remission and got pregnant again with the help of the RE and stayed in remission the whole pregnancy again. Had baby #3 and all was fine untill I got Rota Virus 12/31/05 and wound up out of remission and actually went into a thyroid storm(everything is all screwed up) and dr's immediatly put me on high doses of PTU. Dr. said it was due to baby delivery but i said no itwasnt becuase if that were the case then i would have had it happen with 2nd child's delivery. The common denomenator is me getting sick(flu/virus) so i keep house clean and bleach doorknobs and what not to try to keep the virus's down. Well I went into remission again while on meds within a few months and got off meds and stayed in remission on my own for 5months and wound up pregnant on my own without any assistance. I now have an 11 week old little girl and the kids just love her and I am STILL in remission.

Now that i have said all of this i want to say that I am so sorry that she is going through this. I dont know if she has Grave's disease but if your dr. is saying to have Radioactive Iodine done I would think twice. I have heard alot of things happening and not being the same after having it done and she can become hypo(which is what they shootfor) and she will have to take suppliments of thyroid for the rest of her life. I take the meds when i need it and my body keeps me in remission long periods of time. So i am just fine with NOT doing the Radioactive stuff. Please research and research, if she has Grave's disease did the dr. start her on PTU or maybe Tapazol(i used the PTU becuase i was trying to get pregnant and they said that the PTU was safer for pregnancy)? Was there a reason she went from hypo to hyper? Was she on hypo medicine and took too much and became hyper? Did she recently in the last few months have an illness(virus/strep/flu)? NY is a great place and has great dr's (i live in NJ) I hope you find someone that can help you. And dont feel bad getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

Also if she is experiencing any studdering or shaking or anythingreally off please get her to dr. asap. If they wont see her get her to her General dr. and he/she will be able to get her into Endo asap. thyroid storm is a concern of mine becuase i have already had one, i certainly dont know all of your details but I hope she doesnt go through that and if she does get her seen asap or get her to an ER.

I went to the thyroid foundation for help when i first found out that i had Grave's Disease I even called them. You might want to call them to see if they can help you,I am sure they would knowthe very best Pediatric Endo out there in your area.

[url]http://www.tsh.org/disorders/index.html[/url]

The one thing i will say is treat her the same and dont let her use her thyroid problem as an excuse. You should look up the symptoms and if she has a problem dont say to her o it must be because of her thyroid or say to her o it's ok you dont have to do that becuase of your thyroid. I know it sounds harsh to say it but my girlfriend did that with her son when he was diagnosed with diabetes and he is just a horror child becusae of it and she soooo regrets treating him differently becusaeof it. She says he uses his disease for every excuse now and it's sad. Just thought i would give you a little info from her perspective.

Thyroid disease of any kind stinks to have and for her to be son darn young too.. jeez! Please keep us informed.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

myshannon HB User

She was originally hypo, that was a year ago. She was also hypo at her 6 month bloodwork. We went 3 weeks ago and then suddenly she became hyper. I asked Dr. numerous times why she changed-his reply was always it could be auto-immune (?spelling) or a virus. Since doing all of the testing it was determined that it was auto-immune. They put her on Methimazole 2x a day 20mg and also Propranolol 3x a day 10/20/10mgs. The Progranolol is due to her heart rate being so high (130) and as a child they would like to see it under 100. I am not sure if they tested her for antibodies, I will definately check in on that. Found a Dr. in NY, but office won't see me until Jan. I was told by the secretary that this Dr. has seen young children with this "condition" before. I am calling the pediatrician tomorrow to get him to call the Endo. in NY and get her in earlier.

Life if crazy. Imagine the amount of energy a typical 7 year old has. Now give her a high metabolism and what do you get. A child who is running around, loud, crazy, up till midnight, out of control.

We have always felt that my daughter has had a health issue. Years ago the asthma/allergist recommended us to see an infecetious disease Dr. due to her always being ill. She does not have asthma, but does have seasonal allergies which are now getting better over time. The infectious disease Dr. checked for cystic fibrosis ---NO!...thank God. He did tell us that she was IgA deficient in her blood. That inhibited her from fighting off infections. Over time she did out-grow that. Interesting, when I went to the Asthma/Allergist Dr. he did tell me that he thinks he read somewhere that people with IgA deficiencies can develop thyroid problems.

I just need to find a Dr. to pull all of this information together.

She ALWAYS has had high cholesterol. 220. Ever since age two.
Again someone to pull all of this information together.

Thank you for all of the word of hope. People don't understand. I am making too much of this. Hey there are not here now- 10:30pm with a 7 year old still up. This is not their child. I just want to make sure these are the right choices. As with any treatment there are always side effects but right now I need to make sure she is OK. I worry so much about the eyes. That is my biggest fear.

Again, thanks for the advice and information. Will keep you posted.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I am so sorry that you and your daughter have to go through with this. Once she is on meds and her levels are normal she will be so much better. good luck with this.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
(female)

myshannon HB User
Child with swollen eye lids-hyperthyroid

Hi there,
just looking through the other listings and just today mygirl has a swollen eye lid. Just the one eye. It seems the top lid is puffy on the right eye. It is also red-it looks as if she has makeup on. It doesn't bother her. She is not rubbing it, but I am concerned. Is this a side effect of the thyroid meds?, the thyroid problem itself? Does it go away?
I am going to look into the web site also. Of course it is the weekend and no Dr.
Also has anyone ever done testing of their saliva? Someone recommended.
Let me know.
Thank you

Old 10-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
(female)

myshannon HB User

Thank you for the information. Any and all is welcome.
She is doing well with the meds, but we still have those surges of
energy. I wish I could have some of it.

Thanks for helping us

Last edited by moderator2; 10-13-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
(female)

Katie613 HB User

I myself was diagnosed as hyperthyroid when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. my mom said I was really hyper, nervous had trouble sleeping at night, couldn't gain weight even though I ate a lot. I remember it was hard for me at that age to understand what was wrong with me and I was really afraid of the blood tests in the begining. I got use to the tests and taking medicine everyday though. They did try to push RAI at one point but I was fine with medicine my mom said, and now Ive been fine for 5 yrs w/o meds. I was on tapazole from age 7 or 8 until I was about 21. I am now 25 and I have been off the tapazole since, all my levels have been normal however Im still very skinny 95lbs and 5'5. I did find out recently that I have a multinodular goiter and I may have a thyroidectomy because they are concerned about one of the nodules. my mother was diagnosed with graves disease when she was about 20 yrs old because they kept misdiagnosing her she was on the verge of a thyroid storm so she had to have RAI. She recently went hypothyroid she is now 55 and also has nodules like me. It seems thyroid problems run in the family. Its hard for me to remember much when I was first diagnosed as being hyperhtyroid because I was so young but If you have any more questions I can ask my mom she remembers how I was at that age and how I what the doctors told her. So feel free. I hope it makes you feel better knowing someone else was diagnosed at an early age also.

Take Care
Kate

Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

Lore HB User

Hi There,

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, so young!. Just to let you know, but your case may not relate at all but just to let you know that sometimes children and or adults sometimes get exposed to chemicals that couls cause HypoT and or HyperT. For ex. I live near an ex-weapons makers army facility and I found out that people who lived real close got either cancer or graves disease which I later had myself, most of this people were young children. I'm still investigating if my case is related to the facility because I'm the only one in my family with this problem and no one else, there is no back history regarding anyone with a thyroid problem. I did find out that the area where I live the water was contaminated with a chemical that causes thyroid problems and it so happens it was around the time I recent had moved into that neighborhood. So please check your area but again it may not relate.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
(female)

myshannon HB User
Question Rash and Hives from Meds.

As anyone experience a rash or hives from the meds. My daughter is/was on 20mgs 2X a day of methimozole (generic version), as well as 20mgs 3X a day of propronolol.

She now has a rash or hives all over her body. Swelling of hands and feet. A slight temp. VERY ITCHY!!

Dr. want to take her off methimole for a few days to let her "skin" calm down. And then next week start her on PTU. The pharmacy told me he doesn't have that med in stock and has not filled a RX with that med in years.

Again, I am talking about a 7 year old child here.

What was done it anyone has had these rashes/hives?

Not sure if I agree with stoppping meds. and starting other. We run out of options at that point with RAI or surgery as the only things left. Can we even do that to a child?

HELP!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
(female)

myshannon HB User
Exclamation allergic to tapizol

Has anyone had an allergic reaction to the tapizol?
Rashes, hives, itching?

Did doctors then switch you to PTU? and how did that work?

Did a combination of drugs-tapizol and zyrtec work?

My daughter had a sever reaction to meds, which one ?
Doctors said it was the tapizol (generic version methimonzole she is taking

Do you think generic would make a difference as to the brand name?

ANY INFO --- LET ME KNOW

Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

In my opinion she sounds over medicated. I am not a dr. though and I am clueless about pediatric thyroid stuff. I do however know for a fact your body will react this way if you are over medicated. Her levels may have moved very quickly into hypo and her body is saying thats enough. I have found through alot of talking with others that these symptoms can be mistaken for an allergic reaction.

I hope that was a help.

Nikki

Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I think you need to determine if the med's are what is causing her to have hives and rashes. Is she allergic to outside things like seasonal allergies? Could she have gotten something in her eye (mold from trees, grass) that could have caused her to have that puffiness a few weeks ago? You need to speak with a pediatric allergist as well as the endo. Personally I use PTU when i am out of remission. PTU is safe for pregnancy so I opted for PTU when asked what i wanted to use. I DID go through a thryoid storm and was put on very high doses of PTU because I refuse the RAI. My thyroid goes back into remission with PTU and stays in there for a long time while off of PTU until I get a viral infection like Rotta Virus or something like that. I have used Zyrtec while on PTU and found no reactions while on it. BUT that doesnt mean she wont so make sure she is diagnosed with the correct thing. Also, Dr. said it is auto immune? then what is it, is it Grave's Disease? I have Grave's and Grave's also complicates with the eyes so be very carefull. It can also cause infertility as well, it caused my eggs to be poor enough for me not to be able to conceive my 2nd and 3rd children on my own. And I know this for a fact becuase after I was in remission for 6 months i did get pregnant with #4 on my own. These are all things you will have to discuss with your daughter as she gets older. Make sure you get the right name for what dr's are saying it is. Her regular peditrician should also have what the diagnoses is as well becuase on most medicines like cold stuff and tylonal and stuff it says speak with dr. if you have thyroid disease and always remind them that she has it. Make sure your pharmacies know it as well, just so they can flag anythiing that is given that might interact. Check to see if the rashes and stuff are side effects with dr. and also call pharmacy and ask them with each individual medicine she is on. If they say it's not from meds then get her to allergist to see if she has seasonal allergies. and if they test her and she comes out negative but they still say she is seasonal allergies i would believe it becuase my son has tested 3 times and nothing shows up but he is allergic to outside stuff. Go figure

good luck

Closed Thread