It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User
Experience switching from Synthroid to generic or vice versa???

I am having a hard time coming up with any concrete information on this. What I am wondering is -

1. Have any of you been on Synthroid or the generic and switched to the other?

2. How did that affect you?

3. Did you switch back to your original? If so, why?

4. How did any of these switches impact you and your health?

I am wondering if my insurance's switching me from Synthroid last year to generic has any part in my health problems today. I was stable for years before that. I became more tired, fat, foggy-brained, cranky, depressed and have painful nodules.

I switched back when I learned that they are *not* the same. But I still don't feel like I used to.

Has anyone had any experience or know anything that you can share? THe doctors say it might be a coincidence but no one will address it with me.

Anything would be appreciated!

THanks!

Lisa

Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Experience switching from Synthroid to generic or vice versa???

Even though the FDA says that all levothyroxines are equal, thyroid experts know each product can produce different results in different people. They're trying to get the FDA to change its position on the matter.

The Amer Assn of Clinical Endos, The Endocrine Society, and the Amer Thyroid Found'n has issued a joint postion statement on the subject. The statement can be found on the ATA website. It says that once you become stable using one levoT, you should not be forced to switch between brands or between generics for any reason. There are real differences between absorbancy and effectiveness from one to the other. The Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Assn also agrees.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

It could be a coincidence, but I started out on generic, and wasn't doing well, then I switched to synthroid, and within a week, felt a hundred times better. But I was also on the right dosage, and had been taking meds for 4 months, and it just seemed to "kick in".

My endo. requests the name brand for me now (Dispense as Written), and my prescription med company keeps sending me naughty notes, and my endo. thinks that as long as you are on the same brand (not necessarily name brand) it's fine..........but since I started doing better on synthroid I won't switch..........

to be honest, it's a pretty inexpensive drug either way, so I don't know why the drug company cares that much.

You could need a dosage tweak as well????

Old 10-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

appleofearth HB User

hello!

Quote:
1. Have any of you been on Synthroid or the generic and switched to the other?
I was initially on a brand here in the UK called Forley Generics, then I changed to another generic brand and felt horrible, exhausted, dry skin, palpitations. Did some research and it turns out that Forley is owned by Goldshield which is the UK version of Synthroid. Now I stick to Forleys or Goldshield and I'm fine.

Quote:
see above, palpitations, tired, dry skin - basically the hypo symptoms got worse again.

Quote:
Yep, because I felt like crap on the true generics :)

Quote:
4. How did any of these switches impact you and your health?
I was fine again once I swapped back

Quote:
I switched back when I learned that they are *not* the same. But I still don't feel like I used to.

Has anyone had any experience or know anything that you can share? THe doctors say it might be a coincidence but no one will address it with me.
I switched back to being fine once I switched brand again - I was only on the other one for a month though. One thing that I wonder - if you were on the less effective brand for a while then it may have dropped your levels so you'll take a while to get back to normal again? It can take up to a year and a half for your body to adjust to your optimal dose and symptoms disappear can't it?

Becky

Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Recently there was an article about it being dangerous for thyroid patients to be switched to a different brand of thyroid medication.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Wink Re: Experience switching from Synthroid to generic or vice versa???

[1. Have any of you been on Synthroid or the generic and switched to the other?
4. How did any of these switches impact you and your health?]

I originally started on synthriod, but my dr. switched me to a generic levothyroxine a few months ago because it is about 15$ cheaper (I am low income, and don't have health insurance (so i have to pay for all my Dr visits, as well as my perscriptions. And not, I don't qualify for any state or federal help.I'm 'too able bodied' for that.)).
I had no problems at all with that switch.
However, apparently there was a manufacturer change or something and now I have levopril, and i've noticed that i am sweating a lot more (and it's octber and cool here),and my eyelid twitches more than it used to.
Have a great day! Becky

Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Your responses gave me invaluable information and some good ideas for research. This is just another reminder of how we need to be in charge of our own health situations and not leave it to insurance companies or healthcare providers who may not always do what's best for us.

Lisa

Closed Thread