I just found out that I my adenoma has calcifed and has other calcified folicles on it The Dr. stopped the ultrasound test and didn't even bother to take the three tissue samples he had planned to do. He then explained that he had a dilemma. He could go ahead with the test and submit the tissues or stop and just schedule surgery. He said that I had a type of calcification that is almost exclusively cancerous but that when a tissue sample is given to pathology, it often comes back with a false negative result. When many doctors read these results even though the ultrasound shows the characteristics of cancer, they choose to put the patient on a schedule of bi-annual ultrasound checks to watch for growth of the tumor. However, if my perscribing Dr. took the ultrasound results equally as seriously, he would have me scheduled for surgery.
So, the Dr. asked me what I wanted to do. He said that I had to ask myself if I was willing to live with the knowledge that the tumor could be cancerous and just keep an eye on it or have it removed. I figured that was not a hard guestion and decision...I said to take it out.
So, he called my primary DR. right there in front of me and discussed with him the results of the ultrasound and proceeded to repeat his final diagnosis and options he gave me concerning it to hiim. My internist agreed and is scheduling surgery right away.
Have I made the best decision. What have your exepriences been with a calcified tumor. My tumor has been treated for about 15 years and at the beginning it was diagnosed as being a hard, cold, irregular, adenoma. And at the time, I was told it was precancerous. I have been on Synthroid which caused my thyroid to shut down because the adenoma was 'feeding off the thyroid'. So, I get the hormone by mouth.
Thanks guys for you input. I really don't want to 'keep' the thyroid. I guess I had not quite logically thought it through yet, as I had just found this out an hour before I wrote my post, so I was still processing everything.
Now that I have had a few hours under my belt to think about this, would it be more logical to ask them to remove the whole thing rather than just half of a lobe as thus far planned. I really don't want this to return on the other lobe.
And can I assume that this is a surgery that will only require a short hospital stay and is a quick situation to recover from? I try to keep educated about my own health care but this is now in an area that is an 'unknown'...now if you want to discuss spinal issues and surgeries and chronic pain, I'm a pro in that arena! I guess I never thought too much about the thyroid issues because it was so 'silent'.
Since my thyroid wasn't working anyway, I wanted mine out completely too. I felt like sooner or later it was gonna have to come out anyway... My surgery was last Friday and, except for a bad cold, I'm doing fine. I spent one night in the hospital - I think they mainly do that to monitor the calcium levels. I can't drive until I can turn my neck properly but that's about it. I've had about 9 surgeries and this was one of the easiest, if not *the* easiest.
That is what I wanted to hear! I just could not imagine this being a hard surgery. I've have 8 spinal surgeries, and 12 other types of surgeries. I just tell everyone I am structurally unsound! I can handle a sore neck for awhile. Thanks for sharing. I hope that your recovery continues to go well and you are quickly 'all better'.
Hi Judy, Don't worry about surgery. I had tt September 18th and stayed overnight and after blood work the following day and they checked my calcium levels, I went home. My daughter took me to the grocery store and I shopped. The only reason she took me is because the Dr. told me not to drive for 24 hours. I never had a pain pill, soar throat, but just a minor soar neck when turning my head. My nodules, one on each side, had some calcification and unfortunately they found micropapillary cancer. I'm sure many people have told you, that if you had to have a cancer this is the most treatable and curable. But hopefully, yours will be benign. I'm waiting for my blood level to be at the right level to take RAI and then a full body scan and assuming that turns out okay, I can go on with my life for awhile. I have not felt bad at all and have felt like I did before the nodules were found at a physical. Good luck to you and don't worry. The most important thing is to get it out of your body and be done with it. Good luck and let us know how things go. God Bless.
What is RAI? Is that a radiation or something? So I am assuming that when they do this type of surgery, the dr also checks out the local glands and lymph nodes? And you had not previous symptoms to your thyroid problem?
I had just had my yearly check for TSH levels since I had been on Synthroid because of this tumor. But, my DR had forgotten that I had a growth and was just treating me for normal hypothyroidism. It was I who told him that my thyroid was not good despite a good TSH level. He put all my tests on a STAT basis and in two weeks hence, I am at this point waiting for the surgery to be scheduled. I will let you all know what is found out.
Hi Judy, RAI is radioactive iodine treatment which I understand is a pill the Nuclear Radiology Department in the Hospital give you and you are isolated for about 4 days at home. The radioactive iodine kills everything thats left behind in the thyroid area. I had rarely ever heard the word Thyroid, until my daughter about 15 years ago became hypo and started taking thyroid medication but has never had any nodules or any trouble over the years. There has never been any thyroid trouble other than her in my family. I got word today, that I am going to have to wait another week and have more blood taken because the level is not where it should be to take the RAI. So that delays things another week. I have to learn to be patient as it seems as though this is a "wait and see" period in my life. Good luck again to you and keep us posted. Blessings.