It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Question What did you feel with med change??

I just upped my synthroid from .05 to .75 as my results were:
free T4 0.7 (0.7-1.06 range)
TSH, 3rd generation? 5.036 (.400-5.100 range)

I am experiencing mood swings,depressed, hyperness, blurry vision and dizziness.......on day 3 ...........is this normal adjustment stuff or is my med to much??

I appreciate any input anyone has on things they went thru with dosage upping.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: What did you feel with med change??

Fatique; anxiety; agitation; soft tissue pain and inflammation in lower back, shoulders and knee; hoarseness; constipation; left eye ache ... practically every symptom on all the lists except heavy periods (too old for that). I did have some light headedness at times as well.

In general, I would start to feel better about the time for another lab. Each lab brought a dose increase and then the hypo symptoms returned. This last one is different. I felt so good for about a week, I was almost euphoric. I'm more sluggish right now, but so far nothing like the other leveling periods. Nowhere close. I'm guessing that will sort out and I'll be feeling good again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I just went from .25mgs to .50 mgs. I've been on the higher dose for one week. The first week i never noticed a thing but today i felt slightly anxious and felt somewhat jittery..My pulse use to be in the 50's but now today my pulse was in the high 70's. Still don't have alot of energy, but on the plus side my hair loss has slowed down...I think it takes many weeks for a person to feel good with a dosage change, but i am hoping to feel some what better every day...

Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope this is normal to feel so off and it will get better with the higher dosage............UGH! What we have to go thru!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Depending on the medicine - - -
better to somewhat for 1-2-3 weeks
then (w/ Synthroid/levoxly) the increased anxiety, irritation, less sleep
sets in week 3-4. [i](I'm HOPING that upping my Cytomel counteracts the symtoms above)

Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
(female)

SPF5 HB User

I just upped from .05 to .75 of Synthroid last week. I didn't feel anything different from the increase for the first couple days, then I found I was feeling more alert than I had been...then I noticed I wasn't taking my afternoon nap and/or sitting on the couch and being a foggy headed blob each day, and wasn't quite sure what to do with myself for that extra hour or two of being awake and with it in the afternoon! LOL

Since I felt this way when first starting the .05 dose and then crashed, I'm reserving judgement on how the increase in dose is working until I'm further into it.

Before starting any medication, I had every symptom in the book and then some. After the crash from the initial positive results from the .05 dose, the only symptoms that stayed on the improved list were the tingling in my hands, the eye pain, and my ability to concentrate - but only when really really interesting in what I was concentrating on. I did find after the crash on the .05 I went from having mood swings to pretty much having only one mood - a snarly, fatigued, confused, forgetful grump! I'm hoping this increase at least helps my mood...and my hair. If I lose anymore hair I'll need a wig. I've already lost more than half and there is no way to style it to hide it anymore.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I keep reading about the mood changes and nasty moods on synthroid........is it from the med itself or from not having enough of it?
I am depressed & irritable and more so irritable after starting to up it.......Does that go away for some or is everyone in a bad mood?? Is it from to much or not enough..............One thing I have noticed since upping it 3 days ago is no more constipation.........one possitive.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen
I keep reading about the mood changes and nasty moods on synthroid........is it from the med itself or from not having enough of it?
I am attempting to recover from the laughter over SPF5's description of what I will call the HypoT Leveling Mood. We simply must copyright this, yes?

I can now answer your question from my own experience as I near the end of my leveling ordeal, that this is not from the med. It is from the leveling process. If you spend some time reading about how various glands and organs play into this process, you can better understand why it takes your body some time to adjust to each new dose increase and why doctors want to wait six to eight weeks before the next lab. My theory is that the hypothalamus needs some recalculation time when we add more thyroid hormone to know the correct signal (TRH) to send to the pituitary, so the pituitary can send the correct message to the thyroid (TSH). For awhile the thyroid isn't helping as much as it could because the TSH is incorrectly suppressed.

Once the hypothalamus gets the correct calculation on how much the new level of replacement hormone is able to do, a new message is sent to the pituitary and the pituitary begins talking (TSH) to the thyroid, urging it to do the rest. Depending on how much the thyroid is able to do, you begin to feel better. Whether or not, between the replacement hormone and what the thyroid is able to do, that is enough will be reflected in your symptoms and the next lab.

Again, the above is just my theory based on what I have read about how this works and how I have felt throughout this process.

It feels miserable, I know. I have been fortunate I have a friend whose husband is a doctor and who works in the medical field herself in a couple of different capacities. She has a lot of personal experience with the leveling processes of various medications as well as experience working with patients. She understands very well how miserable this can be and has been there for me when I needed encouragement. I hope you'll find someone to help you through this as well, including us.

Stay with it. I can't encourage you enough. Those little pills can do wonders once we find the right one.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBeth
I am attempting to recover from the laughter over SPF5's description of what I will call the HypoT Leveling Mood. We simply must copyright this, yes?

I can now answer your question from my own experience as I near the end of my leveling ordeal, that this is not from the med. It is from the leveling process. If you spend some time reading about how various glands and organs play into this process, you can better understand why it takes your body some time to adjust to each new dose increase and why doctors want to wait six to eight weeks before the next lab. My theory is that the hypothalamus needs some recalculation time when we add more thyroid hormone to know the correct signal (TRH) to send to the pituitary, so the pituitary can send the correct message to the thyroid (TSH). For awhile the thyroid isn't helping as much as it could because the TSH is incorrectly suppressed.

Once the hypothalamus gets the correct calculation on how much the new level of replacement hormone is able to do, a new message is sent to the pituitary and the pituitary begins talking (TSH) to the thyroid, urging it to do the rest. Depending on how much the thyroid is able to do, you begin to feel better. Whether or not, between the replacement hormone and what the thyroid is able to do, that is enough will be reflected in your symptoms and the next lab.

Again, the above is just my theory based on what I have read about how this works and how I have felt throughout this process.

It feels miserable, I know. I have been fortunate I have a friend whose husband is a doctor and who works in the medical field herself in a couple of different capacities. She has a lot of personal experience with the leveling processes of various medications as well as experience working with patients. She understands very well how miserable this can be and has been there for me when I needed encouragement. I hope you'll find someone to help you through this as well, including us.

Stay with it. I can't encourage you enough. Those little pills can do wonders once we find the right one.
Thanks for the info.......I went to a different DR today for a second opinion with my labs......She said she thought I could definitly use more synthroid......I asked about the whoozy,antys and moody things I felt in a few days on .75...........she said some people go thru a week or 2 then level out some people never get over it and have to stay at the lower dose with a more hypo lab work...........I really hope all this goes away soon.......she has me taking .50 PLUS a 1/4 of a .50 for a month.......then see how I feel. She did not think the blurred vision was from the med or the thyroid so I am off to an eye dr on Monday. UGH it never ends.........It is supportive to hear from others that feel strange when upping their synthroid! THANKS!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
(female)

SPF5 HB User
Talking Re: What did you feel with med change??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBeth
LOL I'm glad my description gave you a giggle! I'm all for copyrighting it...and maybe printing up some t-shirts as well.

Thank you for taking time to share your theory on HypoT Leveling Mood. What you say makes a lot of sense. I've printed it out to refer back to if/when I crash again and am feeling frustrated.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
(female)

Calore HB User

Erinbeth, thanks for the physiology explanation! That is a help
Fusionqueen- before I was diagnosed with hypo, I would go through phases of blurred vision or vision going from one reading to another with the optician asking me each time' are you diabetic'? All this would be from day to day! It was ***arre. I think it has to do with fluid or something!?
Anyway, my eyes have improved now I am on thyroid replacement hormone.

SPF5-hi from one blob to another I know the feeling!!!
Re: hair loss-- I was getting distressed as lots kept coming out which seems to get worse as TSH goes up. I noticed now with my increased dose of hormones ( since 2 weeks) less chunks are coming away. I suppose this is a sign we can be on the look out for in the future ( to monitor ourselves without a test!)

Now, my question: I take my 100mcg about 7am on an empty stomach (each day). It takes about 5 hours before I feel it kicking in. Can I take it before bedtime and does it have to be on an empty stomach ( how many hours since last meal)???
Thanks all
and good luck, Carol

Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calore
Erinbeth, thanks for the physiology explanation! That is a help
You're welcome. It has helped me hang on as I traveled toward the light at the end of my tunnel.

Again, only my theory. It has made sense to me from my experience thus far, however. My experience is probably mostly only relevant to those whose thyroid, for whatever reason, is unable to produce enough T4, but whose hypothalamus, pituitary and liver is working just fine. I have been told by my friends in the field of medicine who deal with thyroid ailments that most hypoT patients are like that. They say those hypo without a thyroid at all are easiest to treat and those whose thyroids are dying a violent death are hardest to treat and most miserable throughout the treatment process.

Quote:
I take my 100mcg about 7am on an empty stomach (each day). It takes about 5 hours before I feel it kicking in.

Interesting ... if you are being consistent about taking your meds about the same time of day each day and on an empty stomach ... I am wondering if this will be some indication you will still need a higher dose. If you are similar to me and if it has been six weeks or more since your last dose increase, it will be very interesting to see what your next lab shows.

The reason I say that is that I noticed, nearing the end of each leveling period, a very similar thing. On the 75mcg dose in particular I reached the end of that period, nearly time for another lab, and I was fairly hypo in symptoms in the mornings, but felt great from around 1 or 2pm to bedtime. It was as if I was getting enough active hormone to deal well will about half the day where I was feeling much improved. I was pretty convinced I needed more meds and was prepared to fight for a dose increase if necessary. Fortunately, I didn't need to do that. My doc believed me.

Now that I'm on the 100mcg dose I'll have until January to find out if this is enough. For over a week I felt better than great. Now I am noticing some of that old, now familiar, hyposluggishness in the mornings, feeling much better afternoon and evening. It will be interesting to see if the symptoms disappear after six weeks or so. If my theory is close to right and if this is finally enough hormone, I should feel as well all day as I do in the afternoons/evenings.

Anyway, please keep us posted on how you're doing with this. If you have been on 100mcg for six weeks or more, I'd be guessing you need a dose increase.

Quote:
Can I take it before bedtime and does it have to be on an empty stomach ( how many hours since last meal)???

Taking the med, I have heard repeated here periodically ... wait at least four hours after eating and don't take anything but water for at least an hour after. Other than that the time of day or night doesn't matter as long as you take it about the same time of day or night each day.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
(female)

Calore HB User

Erinbeth, you are great!! A mine of info, thanks!
It has been almost 4 weeks since increasing dosage to 100mcg /day. I am better, but not great. Something is still missing
I would say on the increased thyroxine I am about 70% improved.
Do people with hashi's + on thyroxine feel near 100%?? I wonder what is the 'best case scenario?' I'd hate to have expectations that were unrealistic

I will check my TSH again end of Nov to see how I am doing.
Like you I am best from noon to evening so I really would like to fill in the 7am-noon gap!! I am a morning person so this is a biggy for me

Thanks again for your input!
Carol

Closed Thread