HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   what are best tests to show graves (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/439035-what-best-tests-show-graves.html)

alana820 10-20-2006 08:16 AM

what are best tests to show graves

Hi I've been on this site a few times and have always received good advice so I'm hoping for more this time.

dx with graves 2002
on ptu for 3 years but still had high antibodies
had RAI (YUK) 3 months ago
now very HYPO

Anyway this question is about my 18 year old son I know this all runs in the family and he has been having the same symptoms/signs that I had prior to my dx of graves

In the last year he have lost a total of 30lbs (without trying)
He cannot sleep, awake till 4 am most nights
he is "on edge" (his words) all the time

He was dx with cardiomyopathy Jan of this year, so he is on bp and heart rate meds so we dont really know if they have increased. That was why my dr decided to test me high bp and heart rate.

Jan 2006 tsh 1.47 range 0.49-4.67
March 2006 tsh 1.09 0.27-4.2
T3 free 4.0 2.6-4.4
T4 free 1.36 0.7-1.7
Aug 2006 tsh 0.70 0.27-4.2

As you can see his TSH is still within normal range but have been going down , I know I cannot use my experience all the time but I had hyper signs for about 2 years before I was diagnosed and my tests always had me in the Low?High normals
In august he was supposed to have the free's done but between starting college and moving we never got around to it . I am very worried about him and would really appreciate any help you could give me Do you think I should ask the Dr to do the TSI test on him or am I concentrating on Thyroid too much?

alana820 10-20-2006 12:38 PM

Re: what are best tests to show graves PLEASE

please give opinions

midwest1 10-20-2006 01:00 PM

Re: what are best tests to show graves PLEASE

I don't know a lot about Graves', because I'm Hashi's myself. But I think you should be concerned that he might have Graves'. Family history is a strong influence in thyroid disease. And Graves' often "creeps up" on people. It's not absent one day and there the next. It sounds as if he's headed that way.

The best tests for it are the free Ts and TSI antibodies. TPO and/or Tg antibodies are often present as well, but they're less important (from what I know).

As for when to start treating Graves, I'm sorry I don't know.

Bran'sNana 10-20-2006 01:21 PM

Re: what are best tests to show graves

Alana, your son's free t-4 and free t-3 should be tested again. His tsh has gotten lower and lower. They can test the antibodies too. The tsi. Also a thyroid scan shows Graves. Sounds like it from the symptoms, and since it runs in families, also,it's not good for the heart to be hyper. Did the heart problem come the same time as the other symptoms? What is cardio myopathy, if you don't mind me asking?

alana820 10-20-2006 04:24 PM

thanks midwest and brans nana cardiomyopathy is a weakening of the heart muscle and enlargment of one of the ventricles in his case his left ventricle which makes it less effective for pumping the blood out of his heart

with all this going on I'm just afraid that they are not looking at anything else they have dismissed his sleep problems and the other problems saying that he is probably nervous about his newly dx heart problem. These other hyper symptoms started before his heart dx

Thanks again I will push the dr to retest all his thyroids next time

NikkiNak 10-20-2006 04:50 PM

Hi Alana-

I had promised myself to take a break because of some health things going on including graves but I can't resist your post. I was lurking and waiting for someone else to respond but there are a few things I want to add.

TSI 's anti-bodies will show graves. Anything higher than 2% IS indicative of graves. This along with Free T3 and Free T4 which would be above normal and TSH (not really important) will be supressed. Also I would stay away from the RAI-U I123 scan which is also called the up-take scan. I have learned that any type of radioactive iodine is BAD for anti-bodies. Insist on blood work that I mentioned and a sonogram.

Graves is hereditary- In alot of cases- I am adopted so I don't know my exact heredity. He sounds to be showing some serious signs with the heart which can happen. I would really be pushing to get him dx. (((((ASAP.))))) HyperT undiagnosed for to long is down right dangerous and can leave permanent affects on the heart. I am not trying to scare you just inform you of how serious it is.

Nikki

Bran'sNana 10-21-2006 05:12 PM

Alana,
Nikki is right on... make sure they take the thyroid thing in consideration! WHY WHY WHY do doctors always say it's anxiety??? It's a SYMPTOM,for Christ's sake! Also the heart thing,hyper is hard on the heart, he doesn't need anymore problems with it. Be assertive with the doctor about the testing...he's YOUR son, not the doctor's!! He's got all the symptoms of hyper! Let us know what happens.;) What will further testing hurt?

lookin4aclue 10-22-2006 07:05 AM

The best lab tests for Graves is the antibodies test. There what tells the doctors if it is Graves, without going threw the hassles of uptakes and things like that. Even now your TSI is probably elevated, since you have Graves, even if your hypo. Mine is. I have read that TSI should be tested ever 6 to 9 months. Not that the doctors will do it that often. The last time mine was done it was 297(I think as I am going with what I can remember)and the range was >130. I hope everything turns out well for you and your son.

NikkiNak 10-22-2006 05:44 PM

Alana-

I agree the best lab tests is the TSI antibodies but it is hard finding a dr. who performs them. In the meantime, ultrasound will show inflammation, your FT 4 and FT 3 will be above normal, and TSH will be supressed.

Nikki