It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User
Best time of day to get blood drawn?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the best time of day to get blood drawn? Morning? Should you fast even if not told to? Light breakfast? Does your TSH get higher as the day goes on? Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User
Re: Best time of day to get blood drawn?

So, I've found a few articles that suggest that your TSH starts off lower and gets higher as the day goes on. Also that it's best to get your blood drawn in the morning. If not then at the same time each day. Makes sense.

What about how food effects the draw? I know that you don't need to fast when getting your thyroid panel taken, but do you think your TSH number is higher or lower after eating?

:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

TSH is released in a series of pulses, usually beginning around when your body thinks is bedtime. Most people have a peak in TSH between 9pm and 2am, and it falls steadily throughout the day until the next series of pulses. If there was such a thing as all-night labs, maybe more hypothyroid people could get diagnosed. The next best option would be first thing when their doors open in the a.m.

Food will have no effect on thyroid labs.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

Very interesting. I did not know this about the peak before bed. Will keep in mind for future, though I doubt I could last all day without any T3 meds or just be crabby.

I work for a hospital network that has 24hr branches and will collect blood 24hrs a day. Nurse do the blood draw after lab tech leaves for day/evening. Although, I have never seen someone come in for bloodwork (drs. prescript of course) after 8-9pm. We do get some early birds @ 6am, even for thyroids panels.

Speaking of thyroid panels. It's amazing how many doctors don't run the Frees or just the FT4! I just want to scream.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
(female)

curious24 HB User

This is pretty interesting.. I guess I should do some research. Lately I have been getting my blood work done later on in the evening. Just because the lab is open 24 hours and I work till 5 so I go at night when no one is there.. Thought it was better than taking off work to sit in the office for hours. My TSH on my last lab went from .70 to 57
But both were done at night around maybe 7 pm so guess that didn't make much a difference

Old 10-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

the tsh thing... before I was diagnosed with hyper, I felt REALLY bad in the morning, very nervous and shaky, that must have been when my tsh dipped lower!

Closed Thread