It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

peggatypawz HB User
Question Hypothyroid and speech. - HELP PLEASE !

Hi There! - I am new here, so please bear with me! - I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 6 weeks ago, after first diagnosing Post Natal Depression, and having the tablets that the dr put me on completely paralysing me! - I dont really understand my levels, the dr seems to think that I am in a unique situation as my levels were off scale here in england ( My TSH was over 150, and my thyroid gland reading was less than 5 ) - How unique is it?,am I ?!! as since being diagnosed I have had umpteen people say they have the same problem - all my life I have battled with weight ( Two stone of which I have lost in the last 6 weeks! ) and all the usual symptoms, exploding head, bad memory, cant be bothered! - weight gain, numbness, lack or sex drive, tiredness to the extreme, oh and the list goes on ! - having talked to the dr, she seems to think I have had Hypothyroidism for most of my 32 years ! GREAT ! But - Im not dwelling on wasted time at the moment - BUT - Since I have been diagnosed I have developed stuttering, and increadable slow speech - Not all the time, and more so when I am stressed, but all the same increasingly annoying, my dr could'nt. and still can't understand it, and even sent me for brain scans and cat scans, blood tests blar blar blar as they thought id had a stroke / Brain tumor. APPARENTLY Hypothyroidism does not affect speech?, or so my usually gr8 dr says! - Has anyone heard, or been in the same situation? - At present I am on 175mg of Levothyrozine, which has made me feel MUCH Better, but still not 100%, at least I can function now, and think straighter! - sometimes ! - I would love to hear from anyone who can spread light, or who is in the same situation - or in fact anyone with hypothyroidism

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid and speech. - HELP PLEASE !

Welcome to the board, and congratulations that your source of your problems has finally been discovered.

HypoT can absolutely slow your speech. It can make you 'search' for the right word to use ... Make you look as if you're too dull-witted to take part in conversation. Whatever process a human body can perform, hypoT can slow it down. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Lately, there seems to be a higher proportion of hyperTs and thyroidectomy patients here on the board. But generally, hypoT is about 8 times more common than hyperT.

I'm hypo myself, due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease that causes the thyroid gland to die in time. I'm being successfully treated, but I stick around here to help those trying to get a diagnosis or who need help in understanding what's happened to them.

It will take you a while to get your thyroid levels up to where they will be optimum for you. Just wanted to say that so you don't expect to be completely normal in just a few weeks.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
(female)

Ithilien HB User

Hi!

I second the other remarks--yes, yes, YES hypo affects speech!

For me (and I was pretty bad, too), it's not just the "brain fog" (which I'm experiencing again), but physically slow speech. I sounded drunk.

The thing is, I'm a teacher--I talk for a living! And I've always been an extremely fast speaker.

It was excruciating!

It also got worse as the day went on, and I'm seeing the same thing, now. My "fog" and slow speech (although the latter's not nearly as bad as it was before medication) get worse during the day.

I've read in several places that this is a normal symptom, so I'm rather distressed that your doctor isn't aware of that.

I will say that you will get better, and that having the diagnosis is the main thing. So very many of us have mixed emotions upon diagnosis--it sucks to have a chronic, incurable (but treatable) disease, but it's WONDERFUL to know that we're not crazy and that what we have is identifiable.

Here's to your continued recovery, and may your path toward wellness be straight and easily seen in the dark!

--Kj

Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
(female)

Bonnye1 HB User

I am new here. But Ihave had all the problems you all talked about. So I guess this is a never ending battle. My DR> said the meds will eventually take these symtoms away. It hasnt happened yet!!! It is nice to know I am not going crazy . Thank you all

Old 10-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

Thanx all for your response! Im feeling like a complete hypocondriact !! - Im desperate to talk to others, with hypoT and like talking about my condition !!! - This seems ***arre for me as I hate being centre of attention ! - I am just so pleased that I have been diagnosed! - Can you all tell me your levels when you were first diagnosed, so I can either know I am not alone, or know that I have had it bad - and begin to give myself credit for coping all these years ! I have a great hubby, who understands, and can talk about it with him, but its getting to the point thats it's all we talk about !!! Sad huh !!! Must start getting a life now !!! Anyhows thanx again for your replies, and hope to hear from you and many more ! THANX !!!!! ( Coor blimey dont I sound self centrered !! - HONEST I'm not usually like this !!! )

Last edited by peggatypawz; 10-25-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
(male)

skim... HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggatypawz
Thanx all for your response! Im feeling like a complete hypocondriact !! - Im desperate to talk to others, with hypoT and like talking about my condition !!! - This seems ***arre for me as I hate being centre of attention ! - I am just so pleased that I have been diagnosed! - Can you all tell me your levels when you were first diagnosed, so I can either know I am not alone, or know that I have had it bad - and begin to give myself credit for coping all these years ! I have a great hubby, who understands, and can talk about it with him, but its getting to the point thats it's all we talk about !!! Sad huh !!! Must start getting a life now !!! Anyhows thanx again for your replies, and hope to hear from you and many more ! THANX !!!!! ( Coor blimey dont I sound self centrered !! - HONEST I'm not usually like this !!! )
Hi, 150 is high but not the extreme. I had a TSH of 136 which the doc said was a practice record, but there are people who rate over 1000.

I had most of the symtoms you mention & more - it's taken me 6 months to get to a TSH of 2.76 & I still don't feel right & it does play on your mind all the time.

Regarding the speech think I agree I have been the same - can't get the words out, can't understand people etc. Doen't help that my ears are full of fluid which is another hypo thing.

You just have to be patient - hopefully you'll start to feel better soon.

Closed Thread