Re: What to ask on Monday
Yup, Oleander, that was me. I had one list that was every symptom *I* have. I compiled that one from "Hypothyroidism symptoms" search results sites.
The second one was for my surgeon. This was also compiled from web search results and what my husband and I came up with. I faxed it to my surgeon the day before my visit and he'd hand written a response to each of my questions that we went over during my pre-op.
Here it is:
1. How many thyroidectomies do you complete each week/month/year?
2. What is your personal complication rate?
3. What are some of the complications that may occur during or after surgery?
4. How long should my surgery take and what are the various stages/steps in the process?
5. Do you perform a Frozen Section Biopsy during surgery? If so, and it reveals (or doesn't reveal) abnormal cells, how would this change my operation?
6. Is muscle division necessary for my surgery? If so, how does it affect my healing?
7. What should I expect if it is necessary to relocate or remove one or more of my parathyroid glands?
8. Under what circumstances would you biopsy or remove a lymph node?
9. What do you do during surgery to locate, trace and avoid the laryngeal nerve?
10. What type of anesthesia do you use? Will you insert a breathing tube during the surgery?
11. Do you typically give intravenous pain medication and antibiotics during the surgery? Do you prescribe antibiotics prophylactically?
12. What type of incision(s) do you make?
13. What is your closing material (stitches, tape, glue)?
14. What should I expect after surgery? (pain, sore throat from breathing tube, side effects from anesthesia such as nausea, etc.)
15. How do you monitor calcium levels post-operatively and for how long?
16. What is the expected recovery time?
17. What sort of pain treatment should I expect in the hospital and after discharge?
18. What should I expect from Post-Operative treatment? (pain medication, suture removal, follow-up exam, etc.)
19. Is it possible to take something the morning of the surgery to help with nerves (okay, panic)?
20. How do we balance Synthroid/Cytomel levels post-op?
Hope this is what you wanted. I hope it helps!