It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
(female)

lfr HB User
Cytomel - Does it matter when you take it?

I had a TT last April, and have been struggling to feel myself ever since. My numbers are finally within normal range, but I still feel without energy and like I'm in a fog. I was on 175 mg. of Levoxyl. My endo. brought up the idea of either trying Armour or adding Cytomel. I opted for the Cytomel (with the option of trying the Armour if the Cytomel doesn't work). I take my Levoxyl (he lowered it to 150 mg. now) around 6:30 am each morning and now take 5 mg. of Cytomel at the same time. My question is when should I take the second 5 mg. dose? I usually feel worse in the afternoon/late afternoon. Does it make a difference what time I take the other Cytomel, or can I just take it at bedtime. I'm wondering if I should try to take it in the afternoon when I feel my worst...problem is I'm usually not home at that time....running around with the kids somewhere. Cytomel doesn't need to be on an empty stomach like the Levoxyl, does it? I don't see any warning about that on the pill bottle. Also, if the Cytomel helps, how long until I notice anything? I just started it yesterday - I know it will still be a while. I go back to see the dr. again in 6 weeks.

On a side note, this endo is amazing.....I never have to ask for anything, he always offers first.....when I know many of you have problems finding drs. who prescribed these types of meds. I'm mentioning this because 1) I found his name from someone who posted it here last year ( so thanks!), and 2) I'd be happy to share it with anyone looking for a good endo in the DC/No. Va area

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by lfr; 10-26-2006 at 03:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User
Re: Cytomel - Does it matter when you take it?

I was told to take my second cytomel around 2 or 3 pm.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

I'm taking 50 mcg's of Cytomel & 25 mcg's of Levoxyl right now. I take everything in the morning when I first get up, 5:15-5:30 am.

From everything I've read, the key to thy meds is CONSISTANCY. Is it possible to take before lunch? If not, then take it the same time everyday, making sure you're being consistant with when you've eaten or not. Taking your 2nd dose somewhere in the afternoon would be helpful I'm sure.

When I was splitting the Cyt dose, I had it in a tiny container that I carried in my pocket. That helped me REMEMBER.

Sounds like your Endo is a GEM
take care,
Sue

Old 10-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
(female)

lfr HB User

Yes - I'm lucky to have found this endo it seems. The only reason I found him, was someone mentioned his name on these boards. Just one person, but they sounded like they really liked him.

I think I will try the Cytomel around 3 pm or so each day. I usually get home from work at that time - and don't head out to activities until 5ish. I will also keep some on me in case I'm not home.

I have to admit, this whole meds thing has been a challenge getting used to. I have never taken ongoing medication before - and even would forget antibiotics on the last few days of the dose when I began to feel better. I never took birth control pills - as I would forget. Silly I know, but just could never get in the habit. I've taken the Levoxyl religiously and haven't ever missed a day - but adding another in the pm - well, we'll see I'll tell you what though, as I feel so yucky still, that's a good incentive to get into the routine.

Thanks guys for your help.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
(female)

linbein HB User

I take my Synthroid as soon as I wake up. Then I take my first Cytomel with my breakfast here at work. I take my second Cytomel around 2:00. I have noticed if I take it much later than 2, I have troubles going to sleep. I have heard others having similar problems if they take Cytomel too late in the day.
I have been on the T3/T4 combo for almost 4 weeks. It's hard to say if it's really "helping". I mean, I do feel a little less "sluggish". I'm more awake in the evenings, a little more energy. Still can't lose any weight no matter what I try. I'm still somewhat moody and all. So, who knows. I have an appointment in January to see a new doc that will be willing to prescribe me Armor. I just want to give it a try. I don't see "enough" improvement so far with Cytomel to think it's the wonder drug I need.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I take Armour and Cytomel (once daily). I take the Armour when I wake up around 7:00 am, and I take the Cytomel usually between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

lfr HB User

Well, I've settled into taking the second dose around 3:00 pm or so. That's when I usually start to really drag and feel like I'm in a fog. We'll see - I'm hoping it'll be a wonder drug, but realistically I know that it doesn't always work like that. Even if it help a little, that would be great.

For those of you that were helped with Cytomel, how long until you noticed any difference??

Closed Thread