It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

Jenny C. HB User
One More Question...Can The Thyroid Affect The Heart??

Hi Guys,

It's me again...another CRAZY question
I am getting ready for my thyroid surgery, and I had to go in to get an EKG last week, and now found out, from the receptionist, at the front desk, there is something wrong with my EKG...I can't get a straight answer from my PCP, although, I have yet to talk to him personally...and he is the one who ran the EKG...He called today, left a message on my machine and told me to call back on Tuesday, he will talk to me then..
Anyways, I did talk to my endro, yesterday, and he said, he couldn't specify, because he is NOT a cardiologist, but for me to call and talk directly to my PCP, and find out what is going on...
I am just wondering, can the thyroid affect the heart, and EKG results?? Is there anyone out there who would know?
Thanks SOO much for ALL of your support...I am just worrying again.

Last edited by Jenny C.; 10-28-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: One More Question...can The Tyroid Affect The Heart??

The simple answer is, yes, the thyroid can affect the heart. Please continue to discuss with your physician before putting much weight on anything you read on the internet, however.

That said ... thyroid disease may directly effect the heart especially whenever the thyroid gland is overactive. This may produce symptoms of palpitations, heart pain, or heart failure. Similar symptoms may occur with an underactive thyroid if it is treated too rapidly with thyroid replacement therapy. Symptoms of heart disease are much more likely to occur in patients who have underlying heart disease from another cause. Permanent changes in the heart are unusual in patients with normal healthy hearts, unless the thyroid disease is particularly severe and left untreated for very long periods of time.

None of this said to alarm you, just some very basic info in regard to your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Just after I was dx'd with Hashi's, I had an EKG and it was normal. About a year later, in preparation for a hysterectomy, another EKG was done. It had an abnormality on it which they call a "Q Wave" - and since this can be indicative of a past heart attack, I had to go through all kinds of stuff prior to having the hysterectomy - Stress Test, more EKG's, even a heart cath - only to be told that everything was fine and that there was nothing wrong with my heart.

A year later, when I was getting ready for thyroid surgery, another EKG showed the same thing - Q waves. So, back to the Cardiologist (same one), who explained that some people have Q waves on their EKG's, but it does NOT mean heart problems, and no one knows why. Another of my docs told me that some people with Thyroid disease can present with Q waves on their EKG's - but it is not known why. The Cardiologist said that Q waves are NOT associated with thyroid.

So, I don't know who to believe. But I do know that my mom ended up with heart disease after suffering from undiagnosed thyroid disease for many years, and her heart doc told her that undiagnosed, and even undertreated thyroid disease, CAN affect the heart over time. I was undiagnosed, and therefore, undertreated, for many years, too, but my Cardiologist insists that the thyroid-heart connection is not true - unless there is already underlying heart disease.

Best of luck, and please let us know! I HOPE you don't have to go through all the stuff I had to go through!

Ora

Last edited by OraEtLabora; 10-29-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Thank You VERY MUCH for replying to my question. I SOO APPRECIATE ANY information at all, you can share.
This is ALL new to me...I have NEVER in my life had any sorts of thyroid trouble,(that I was aware of) and then I found this lump on my neck, and it has been just an unbelievable emotional roller coaster, ever since.
Thank YOU Both.. for giving me your experiences, so I KNOW that the heart can be affected.
I am going to call a cardiologist in the morning, and see if maybe they will run another EKG...I am AFRAID to go under surgery, this week, IF there is something wrong, with my heart.
My PCP left me a message on my machine quoting..."I THINK YOUR HEART IS OK..I THINK"....Well, I know one thing for sure...I DON'T WANT to go under antisetic, UNLESS HE KNOWS FOR SURE, 100% MY HEART IS OKAY.
So I am defitnitely talking to him on Tuesday, and see what his findings were, and also a cardiologist. My surgery is at the end of the week...so I AM VERY NERVOUS!!
I will be SOO GLAD when this is ALL behind me.
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S SUPPORT, and I will FOR SURE let you know what happens!
You have ALL BEEN ANGELS!!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

You're very wise to pursue this prior to surgery. Both of my surgeons refused to do anything until I was cleared by a cardiologist, so most likely, your surgeon will not want to do surgery until you find out what this abnormality is on your EKG. Your PCP sounds a little flakey, with all due respect to him/her!

Please let us know how it goes. I am hoping that your heart is fine, and your surgery will proceed as normal. EKG's can show artifact that only a qualified doc can really read with any accuracy. Let's hope yours was just that - some artifact that will not show up on a repeat test. I've had receptionists tell me all kinds of weird stuff that turned out to be wrong, so don't get too nervous yet. We're all here for you!

Blessings!

Ora

Last edited by OraEtLabora; 10-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Closed Thread