It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

Erica Kane HB User
Cystic Acne & Thyroid Problems?

I'm in my 40's and still suffering from wicked cystic acne, and now that I'm having thyroid testing, I'm wondering if possibly the acne could be caused by an out-of-whack thyroid too.

I've read all the signs and symptoms and occasionally adult acne pops up, but it doesn't seem to be on the top of the list anywhere - it's always dry skin, not oily skin issues.

Anyone have an oily skin/acne problem AND found it to be thyroid related?

Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Cystic Acne & Thyroid Problems?

Hmmm, I thinkthey ARE related..if DRY skin is hypo, OILY must be hyper, right? makes sense. I've always had acne and I'm hyper. I used to say"I'm gonna go from zits to wrinkles!" The oily skin does help in making you look younger, my dermatologist told me once. Maybe retin-a would help though. I was on it for awhile about 10 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana
Hmmm, I thinkthey ARE related..if DRY skin is hypo, OILY must be hyper, right? makes sense. I've always had acne and I'm hyper. I used to say"I'm gonna go from zits to wrinkles!" The oily skin does help in making you look younger, my dermatologist told me once. Maybe retin-a would help though. I was on it for awhile about 10 years ago.
Thanks. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for my test results to come back - I definitely have alot of the other hyper symptoms, but a few hypo ones too - how does that make sense?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

DAVZAN HB User

When I was Hyper for several years (though didn't know it), my acne was terrible, tried everything under the sun - antibiotics helped for a while. I also had the large cysts and the acne was worse than when I was a teenager. Anyway, before I decided to go with RAI treatment I was put on Tapazole, and for two months my skin cleared up and it looked great! Well I have since had RAI treatment (it's been almost 3 months now),the acne got worse but is starting to clear up now as my thyroid levels have started to change - I am taking synthroid 100 mcgs. I am convinced my acne caused by my thyroid. You will not read much about your thyroid being acne related, but a few sights will say it causes acne.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

I too beleive that acne has something to do with whether you are hyper or hypo-

I had great results when my levels evened out for about 2 months. I was acne free. As I started to drift hypo my acne started appearing again. It was alot worse when I was hyper.

Nikki

Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Thanks so much for your input everyone. It just seems to me (and who, really am I? ), that if acne is caused by hormones, then a messed up thyroid could certainly cause bad acne.

I'm really ticked at my doctor right now though. My results are in his office - verified by the nurse - yet he either hasn't gone over them or is simply dragging his feet in telling me what they are. Meanwhile, I have this lemon stuck in my throat, I'm sweating like a pig, acne raging all over my body and I can't sleep when I'm supposed to, but I feel like sleeping every minute I'm NOT supposed to.

Guess they just don't get it sometimes.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

I've had the problem as well. I started using a homemade toner (1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water). It really has cleared up my skin as well and fade many of the scars I had from the cystic acne. I also started using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid in the morning and the 8% AHA gel in the evening. My skin is really looking great. I'd start with the toner and see if that helps. It smells rancid (I don't like the smell of ACV), but really works wonders. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTot2
I've had the problem as well. I started using a homemade toner (1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water). It really has cleared up my skin as well and fade many of the scars I had from the cystic acne. I also started using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid in the morning and the 8% AHA gel in the evening. My skin is really looking great. I'd start with the toner and see if that helps. It smells rancid (I don't like the smell of ACV), but really works wonders. Good luck!
Wow - thanks for the idea! I've also started using an aspirin mask I read about on the acne board - that's good stuff! Alot cheaper than the OTC products that don't work anyway. I'm going to try this ACV thing - the smell might not be pretty, but neither is acne.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

I forgot to add that I also use the asprin mask 1x per week as well!

5 uncoated asprin + 1 small quirt of aloe vera = soft skin

Sometimes I add a small amount of honey. Also, no need to even crush the asprin prior because the aloe will break it down nicely and will allow you to smush the asprin with little effort.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have Hashi's.

Last edited by TinyTot2; 11-03-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
I forgot to add that I also use the asprin mask 1x per week as well!

5 uncoated asprin + 1 small quirt of aloe vera = soft skin

Sometimes I add a small amount of honey. Also, no need to even crush the asprin prior because the aloe will break it down nicely and will allow you to smush the asprin with little effort.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have Hashi's.
How easy! I've been crushing. What type of aloe vera do you use? Cream, gel, liquid, something else?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User

I use a green gel aloe. Works great!

Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
(female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
I use a green gel aloe. Works great!
Thanks - I've got that right here at home.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
(female)

27270 HB User

I Had Cystic Ance Prior To Dx Of Hypothyroidism. I Believe There Is A Link But I Am Also Curious If Any Of You Posting Your Acne Stories Took Accutane. I Took Accutane Last December For A Full Course Of Tx And Wonder If There Are Any Links B/w This Medicine And Hypothyroidism.

Elaine

Closed Thread