It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

grinchydizz HB User
how to tell if thyroid is swollen?

I have a couple of quick questions. Is it possible, to feel the thyroid if its a little swollen? the weird thing is, I had a ultrasound of the thyroid two months ago, also he did that swallow test with the glass of water, he says its normal. I can feel, at times, like a hard knot, when I swollow, and my neck looks bigger to me, and my husband. My doctor says my thyroid is fine though, so is it just me? can it be bothersome at times when you swollow? another weird thing I have, which I told my doc. about, is I do have a difficulty swallowing, and I have to actually make sure my head and neck are lined up, when I swollow, or it feels like its going to get stuck on something. I hope that made some sense, I have a hard time explaining that, maybe thats why the doctors all think Im nuts!!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: how to tell if thyroid is swollen?

Can I ask what type of Dr did the swallow test? And what did the ultrasound show Did he run blood tests also?? Are you having other symtoms?

My Endo said that change in voice & difficulty swallowing are symtoms they watch carefully. Though I don't recall having this, your description made perfect since to me.

Honestly, I think your situation needs further investigation. If this Dr is not willing, then I'd find one who is.

take care,
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
(female)

grinchydizz HB User

thanks sue, I am getting another opinion next week, I have had several blood tests, that show different levels of tsh and t3 problems, vit d deficiancy, high blood calcium, I could go on, but my doc only came up with diebetes insipidus, and when I told him about all my symptoms, he just says he has no idea, and sent me on my way. the doctor that did the swollow test and ultrasound was the endo, but he says everything is fine. I cant understand why he says he has no idea what could cause all my symptoms, I also have very high blood pressure, cholesterol. kidney issues, and on a ct scan they seen a nodule in my lung, and adrenal gland thickening, (whatever that is) but still, this doc I seen just dismissed everything. So, hopefully I will have better luck next week.... Ill keep you posted....

Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

I have the same hard knot feeling in my throat from my thyroid.....I also have a very hard time swallowing, and get choked easily on food and also liquids. My Endo told me my thyroid was swollen and/or inflammed by feeling of my neck. I don't know how to do it, but I know he did, but by looking at me you can't tell. So I do know you can tell it's swollen by feeling it or if it's swollen enough you can tell just by looking at a person.

Closed Thread