It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

bhgymteach HB User
Scheduled Right Thyroidectomy-please post success stories for me

Ugh!
I am not happy about this. I went back to the ENT on Friday after an u/s the week before. He immediately told me that it wasn't good news. My cyst is 5cm, by 3cm, by 4cm. He said the size is his concern and he is pretty sure that it isn't cancer since FNB came back negative already. He just wants it out to be sure. Otherwise it is back every 6 months for the rest of my life and always "wondering" if it could be cancer.

I am scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 18th. I am doing it the week before Christmas because I am a teacher and hopefully the extra holiday vacation will help me to rest and relax enough to get back to school sometime after the first of the year.

I am scared to death of course, but he is telling me that taking the right lobe shouldn't be too much of an issue and he really thinks I won't need meds. afterwards. I should make him promise I guess. Just kidding. I know there are always issues and if they can happen to me they usually do.

I would love to hear success stories from those of you with just one lobe removed.

Thanks!!
Barb

Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
(female)

California Ann HB User
Thumbs up Re: Scheduled Right Thyroidectomy-please post success stories for me

bhgymteach,

I am new to thyroid problems and this board. Most of what I know I learned here.

I had been being followed for a left side multi nodular goiter and then I came down with thyroiditis on the same side. I had fine needle biopsies on both sides that were inconclusive. My PCP and my endo desided it needed to come out. Well the surgeon said only the left (not the side I was having trouble with) needed to come out.

We live 170 miles from the hospital and were going camping anyway. So we went camping on Wendesday and were only about 70 miles from the hospital. We drove to the hospital early Thursday morning. I sent my husband back to our trailer and friends. The Dr. called him when they were finished. I spent one night in the hospital. Only because we live so far away. I had no problems the surgeon did not damage or nick the parathyroids or my vocal cords. I took one Motrin (at the nurses insistance) Thursday night and went back to our camp spot Friday morning. Friday afternoon I went for a walk around the ranch where we were camped. We spent the next 3 days there and then went home.

I have not had any other problems or any pain. I am pretty active. Even with the fatige with the thyroid problems and trying to get the medication dosage
figured out. I am in my early 50's and I attend aqua arobics 5-6 days a week.
I was back in the pool in less than 2 weeks. Even on my bad days I get in the pool. It just makes my whole body feel better.

I know how scared you are and nothing anyone can say will make that any better. Just learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good Luck all our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

CA Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
(female)

ychonks HB User
Re: Scheduled Right Thyroidectomy-please post success stories for me

Barb,

I had a right lobectomy on August 24th. I had a nodule present with suspicious hurthle cells. I was at the hospital at 5 am and left that same day around 3 in the afternoon. The worst part was coming right out of surgery, still being wheeled to the recovery, b/c your throat is soar from the tube that they put down it. But they gave me meds and I fell right back to sleep. I slept most of that day and than remained in bed for the next two days. Surgery was on a Thursday and by Saturday I had to get out. I just went to the store and I did feel a little light headed and tiered (got someone else to drive). I went back to bed for the rest of the day but Sunday I was up and at it again and by Tuesday I tried going to work. Which I did, for a about 4 hours. By the end of the week I was back at work with a pretty cool scar!

Since than, because of the results being positive for papillary cancer, I had a rollercoaster of a time....emotionally. But now I am back to my life and cancer free. After the surgery I felt like myself and my TSH levels actually continued to be within the range. Preop 1.2 and Postop 3.2. I was only put on 50mcg's about a week ago to suppress my left lobe. I opted to not have a TT and pray that nothing reoccurs! But I like to think off all of this as a success story!!

Good luck with everything! And let me know if you have any questions!

Yvonna

Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I appreciate hearing these experiences because it was suggested to me to have my right lobe out and biospy the left one while in there. I am being watched and suppressed for now but..I know it is still a possibility for me.

Ychonks....Did you have to have any other treatment after your results came back...Did they ever say you needed to remove the other lobe?

Thanks, Oleander

Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

I had both out - 3 weeks ago tomorrow - and it was really really easy! I had an appointment with my surgeon today and he cut me loose (unless I grow something else somewhere in my body).

Good luck to you - please don't be worried!!! You will heal in no time!

Lisa

Old 11-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Barb, like everybody else, I wish there was something I could say that would make you less scared and worried. I had a right lobectomy about 4 years ago, due to a suspicious nodule. No it wasn't the most pleasant thing I have ever done, but it was by far not the worst either. Surgery is never fun. I was scheduled for surgery at 3 PM on the Friday prior to Labor Day four years ago. I went in around 1 and they got me ready. I had the surgery on time and had an over night stay for observation. At first when I came out of recovery, it was painful, but they gave me a shot of demerol and I fell back to sleep. Of course the pain went right away with the shot. Later that night the pain wasn't so bad and I only needed pain killer pills (they gave me percocet) to be comfortable. A hospital stay wasn't so bad, the nurses were wonderful and I almost felt pampered. It was great to have an overnight stay just to rest and have somebody to take care of me. If it wasn't for the frequent needles for blood tests I might have actually enjoyed it since I was so sleepy and "floaty" because of the meds. I went home the next morning. Since it was Labor Day weekend I had an extra day off work for recovery, but went back to work the day after labor day. For the first few days I only worked half days, and went home to rest in the afternoon. I was back to my old life within a week. I did need replacement meds however, and it took a little while to get stabalized on a good dosage. But all in all, the whole thing was pretty simple.

Good Luck to you. I am glad I had it done and over with. Hopefully yours will be an uneventful as mine was. Let us know how it goes, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We'll all be rooting for you!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
(female)

bhgymteach HB User
Question Re: Scheduled Right Thyroidectomy-please post success stories for me

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. You are the best!!
I feel better just knowing that this isn't the end of the world. Right now it does feel like it. Haha.

I would like to know how they regulate meds. after they remove only one lobe? Do they wait and see what happens or immediately be proactive?

Barb

Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
(female)

ychonks HB User

Quote:
Ychonks....Did you have to have any other treatment after your results came back...Did they ever say you needed to remove the other lobe?
Oleander,

No. I didn't recieve any other treatment post surgery. The tumor didn't metastasize into my lymphnodes or distally. I was lucky. Because of the fact that it was encapsulated and unifocal it was a very good prognosis. I did spend a month getting second opinions and yes every endocrin I saw suggested aggressive therapy (TT and RAI). But they just suggested and didn't demand that it be removed. My number one question was "will I regret not removing the remaining part of my thyroid in the future?" All of them said NO! So, about two weeks ago, 2 months post surgery, I was put on 50mcg of Levoxyl to suppress the left lobe. I will continue to be monitored bi-yearly and I feel very confident in my decision.

Thanks for asking.

Yvonna

Quote:
bhgymteach
I would like to know how they regulate meds. after they remove only one lobe? Do they wait and see what happens or immediately be proactive?
After the surgery I felt like myself and my TSH levels actually continued to be within the range. Preop 1.2 and Postop 3.2. I was only put on 50mcg's about two weeks ago to suppress my left lobe. In about another four weeks I will have blood taken to see where my TSH level is. I believe that the optimal level would be .5. I am of course taking Levoxyl in the hopes that my left lobe will not form nodules.

Yvonna

Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Yvonna, thanks and keep us updated........ I may call on you for more info in the future if you do not mind........... Oleander

Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Barb, concerning regulating meds. In my case they had already put me on 100mcg of Synthroid prior to surgery since my TSH was at 38. I continued on that dosage after surgery. I saw my doctor frequently (every 6 weeks) for several months to adjust my replacement meds dosage. It takes a little time and tweaking to get just the right dosage that YOU feel good at.

Since then, for the most part I'm feeling pretty good. I don't think I will ever feel the way I did prior to surgery. That's not a negative thing though, I don't feel bad and continue to live a very active life, it's just a little different now. But then I'm 53 and also menopausal, combine that with hypothyroidism and of course I'm going to feel differently.

Your doctor will probably want frequest blood tests also following your surgery to help you settle into a good dosage of replacement meds. based on any hypo symptoms. Just a note though, be sure to get copies of your lab reports, rather than just accepting an answer of "normal". If you have lingering hypo symptoms be sure to discuss them with your doctor eventhough the lab reports say "normal". There are many options, and several replacement meds available. But you don't need to worry about that just yet, get through your surgery first. Based on my own experiences I would guess you would need a small dosage of replacement meds. But that's something you and your doctor need to address after the surgery and you have lab work done to know what your remaining thyroid is actually producing. Some people are fine with just the remaining half of the thyroid. For now just get to feeling better from surgery and then address the meds issues. There are many people here who are very well versed in stabalizing meds. and all of us will help you.

Last edited by Red Maple; 11-03-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
(female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

Hi Barb,
I haven't signed on in a while but wanted to stop by and see if I could find any posts from you. Disappointed to see this one. :-( I'm sorry you have to have the procedure. I really hope it goes well and you have some relief from this. I'll be checking up on you.

As for me, my cyst DID come back... a third time.... though not as big, and right now I'm just waiting to see the Endo in December. I'll be in touch, and I'll be thinking of YOU!

Take care,
Nancy

Old 11-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
(female)

bhgymteach HB User

Thank you for checking up on me Nancy! I appreciate you thinking of me.
Yes I am not happy about the whole idea but I think I will be relieved when it is gone finally.

Barb

Old 11-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
(female)

ncmtgl HB User

Hi bhgy, I am facing the same thing, thanks for writing this and thanks to all for her good replys you gave her, you have also helped me. My surgery isn't scheduled yet as I said before I am going to see 2 more Drs.
Norma

Old 11-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Hi Everyone!! I just read what Barb is facing...I am facing the same thing BarB, so we will be in this together!!!!!!!
My surgery was scheduled for TODAY, and they post poned it for this coming Friday...this feels like an eternity..I will BE SOO HAPPY, when this is ALL behind me:
Barb, I am SOO HAPPY, I read your post, and ALL the WONDERFUL people who have been through the same thing, and have all come out well.
THANKS GUYS!!!!!! ALL OF YOU HAVE MADE ME FEEL BETTER TOO. SO THANK YOU...I am just a complete basket case, right now...
I just need to know everything will be OKAY...so by reading all of your posts, I am encouraged...this is really a scarey time, and I am soo thankful, I have these boards to read, and read that there are many people who have gone through the same thing, or going through the same thing right now, as me... it has really helped me cope with this...I am reading these boards everyday, just to get re-encouraged...SO THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT, WITH BARB, AND WITH ME!!
GOOD LUCK BARB, PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED, I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU..
God Bless Everyone on this board, you are ALL WONDERFUL PEOPLE!
Jenny

Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
(female)

bhgymteach HB User

Jenny,
Good luck to you on Friday. I will be thinking of you!
Please let us know how you are when you get a chance.
What do you have, nodules or cysts? Are you expecting a right lobectomy?
Do you expect to have to take meds. post surgery?

Barb

Closed Thread