It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

lucy40 HB User
does fasting effect tsh?

My first TSH was 6.1 while fasting. My second while not fasting was 3.5. My third while fasting was 7.1. My G.P. took a fourth and Im waiting for that result. She still doesn't think there is anything wrong with my thyroid.
First it was 2 out of 3, now its 3 out of 4. The lab tech asked if I was flirting with him because I had been there four times in two weeks.
So, my question is, does fasting result in a higher TSH?
One more question, does anyone know if supplements would raise the TSH level?
Thanks for your help,
Lucy

Old 11-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: does fasting effect tsh?

I honestly don't believe fasting would affect TSH. Some say certain types of food can affect TSH levels. I have personally seen no indication of that, but if you think that's true, why not just be constant about your diet during the testing process. If you fast for a test, then fast for the next. Like that ...

Of all the reasons I have seen published for a fluctuating TSH, the most likely I have seen are:

Fluctuations of other hormones (estrogen, for example)
Pregnancy
Other prescription drugs
Stress or illness
Antibodies

Can you persuade your doctor to test thyroid antibodies? Some docs who don't want to start treatment with a TSH <10 may reconsider when symptoms are very convincing and/or antibodies are high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have never read anything that says fasting has an effect on thyroid tests.

Your tests clearly indicate that you would benefit from some supplemental thyroid hormone treatment. There is something wrong with your thyroid. The largest endocrinological association in the US says that a sustained TSH above 2.5 merits a trial of hormone. If your MD doesn't want to get with the program, you should find one who knows more about thyroid.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

grinchydizz HB User

hi, I was wondering if someone can point me in the direction of some literature, on the net, about the tsh levels midwest (sorry if I got the name wrong!) mentioned. My tsh levels have came back different on two occasions, but my endo said Im fine. I am seeing another doc thursday, for a second opinion.... thanks..

Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

grinchydizz, there is a lot of good info on the internet. The rules on this board prevent sharing a lot of links. There actually are some good reasons for that, so don't think I am complaining about it.

I have been able to find out anything I want to know by typing a couple of words together in a browser search window and looking through the results I get from that, such as keyword thyroid (that's just syntax, you would substitute your word in place of keyword, of course. Examples: fatigue thyroid; test thyroid).

My own personal guideline is to mostly ignore and at least take with a grain of salt any sites which are selling something. I have found several sources which appear to be non profit and respected in the medical community and those are the sources of information I trust. Your standards may vary and that's ok, just saying ...

Last edited by ErinBeth; 11-07-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Closed Thread