It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

happymedium HB User
why breathless?

Hello i am only boarderline at the moment & i get breathless & tired alot, my question is why do i feel breathless with this, is this a normal. I have only had 1 blood test so far but have lots of things going on with me but when I asked what boarderline meant i was told it was normal & that i would carry on like this for a while until thyroid went underactive. so go away & get on with it so thats what i am trying to do

Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
(female)

grinchydizz HB User
Re: why breathless?

I have wondered the same thing!! I am 35 years old, a bit overweight, but not too bad, I use to be very active, lift weights a lot, but since I have been sick, I get breathless too. I cant even go up a flight of stairs, without getting dizzy, and I have to stop to rest. If I go shopping with my husband, I make him slow down his walking, and I have to rest a lot. what is the deal? I have seen lots of docs, and no one can answer that for me. I am seeing a doc this week for a second opinion on my thyroid issues, I have tons of symptoms and blood results that show stuff either too high or too low, but my endo said there is nothing he can do for me (quack!) so, I hope we can get some answers for the shortness of breath thing, I thought it was because I was just lazy!! But, I think Im lazy cause Im always sick!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

jbfan HB User

I had the same problem I thought I was not going to make it. It got really bad
I flunked a stress test and the doc. had me convinced I had a serious heart problem. I had a heart cath. normal, then sent by the cardiologist for ct of the lungs--normal. after more doctors and being told they didn't know what the problem was. The path to resolving my problem is so long and drawn out I can't even write it all down. I finally ended up at a doctor that went by the correct normal ranges for thyroid and she also checked my ferritin level--I was not anemic but my ferritin was 9 (low iron stores in liver). After about 2 or 3 weeks of armour and chromagen (iron). I could breath again. It was so great to breathe again!! I was told I looked like a different person when I went back to the doctor. I sure felt like one. Hope this helps some.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The breathlessness happens because hypo muscles become weaker and don't work efficiently. This includes the muscles of the chest wall and the diaphragm, which work to help you inhale and exhale. Your respiration rate may also become slower without your even noticing that. Slower respiration results in lower blood oxygen levels.

My breathing got so bad it seemed like angina (heart disease) and was the first symptom that caused me to seek out a doctor's care. It even sent me to the ER on one occasion. After my heart was declared healthy, I set about finding a reason for these spells. It led me to a thyroid diagnosis and treatment. I haven't had any "heart" episodes since I found my optimum dose of thyroid med... which is reason enough to not simply "carry on" until becoming more hypo.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

happymedium HB User

thanks for your help i am glad its not just me feeling breathless, its no joke & can be worrying. Not only that you feel tired all the time, I just hope that when have my next bloods done its not its not just boarderline. Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to happymedium For This Useful Post:
lele97 (01-19-2012)
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

grinchydizz HB User

I wonder if blood co2 levels have anything to do with this, on two of my blood tests, the co2 is always low, and I asked my doctor why, he said it is usually caused by hypoventilating when they take your blood,.I was definitly not hypoventilating, so I wonder if there is a connection...

Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #7
(female)

inneedofhelp1 HB User

I have been very sick lately and for a year my thyroid levels have been up increasing (tsh) level but slowly and they stilll think its boderline, my dr back in pakistan which i went for holidays say i deffiinetly have thryoid problem but the drs here decline....
Lately i have start suffering from breathing problems (lying down or opening the window helps) and heart beats r very fast i even went to ER for it (pulse rate was 150) but was discharged after taking x-rays... and they asked me to rest....
I still face the problem it started a month ago i want to sleep all the time...
i am just 19 i also have pco...
I am also having hot flashes i feel like a sick person who is about to die, i was so happy and bright before all this started...
i am not on any medication at the moment.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I too had the shortness of breath before getting on meds. It was so bad if I pushed a vacuum I was on the bed trying to get air, so needless to say, I didn't push a vacuum, or housework hardly of any kind for quite awhile until someone finally listened to me and put me on meds.

Within about a hour of my first armour I could feel the elephant finally climb down off of my chest.

Deb

Old 11-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi happymedium. I suggest you get copies of your test results. If you want to post them, we can help you interpret them.

You may want to get another opinion. Good tests to have done are the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4) and thyroid antibody tests in addition to the normal panel. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

It can be difficult to find a good thyroid doctor, but it is not impossible.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #10
(female)

inneedofhelp1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb123
I too had the shortness of breath before getting on meds. It was so bad if I pushed a vacuum I was on the bed trying to get air, so needless to say, I didn't push a vacuum, or housework hardly of any kind for quite awhile until someone finally listened to me and put me on meds.

Within about a hour of my first armour I could feel the elephant finally climb down off of my chest.

Deb
did the breathing problem come suddenly as mine did, what was you hormonal levels r u hypo or hyper???
I too feel as if i have weight on my chest..

Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I am hypo and I would have to say mine was sort of gradual. I was feeling sooooo bad and fatigued for quite awhile so I'm not sure when the shortness of breath kicked in.

I had hypo symptoms for 3 years before going on meds and out of the 3 years I had the shortness of breath for about 18 months. I also had been diagnosed with severe systemic candida and I really thought it was the candida in my lungs causing the breathing difficulties, never dreamed it was thyroid related until I took that first Armour pill and got relief. During the adjustment period on meds when I needed and increase the shortness of breath would come back and that was a clear signal to me I needed more meds.

Deb

Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

this is something we all seem to have had, i was on 50 thyroxine, and that is a small amount then i got a bit hyper and now im on 37 a pill and a half! i have had episodes of shallow breathing, and it feels like theres not enough oxygen in the air ooohh its one of the worst symptoms of it all i dont seem to get them so much , touch wood, i think it was worse when the levels werent right for me??? even if i was in the so called range it might not have been quit right for me, it also happens more when i wasnt on enough meds or reducing meds??? good luck love from katpurs and i hope you get better could you do this thread again and put your tsh levels and t4 and t3 love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx

Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #13
(female)

happymedium HB User

Hi, asked for results & was only told tsh 3.5 , antibodies 13.9 was told this on second bloods dr said they looked better, so i dont know what they were before, p.s still breathless & feeling poorly all the time, posted back along saying it must all be in my head????

Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #14
(female)

VillageLass HB User

Hi Happymedium,
I have also been getting shortage of breath too!
I am a singer but haven't done much within the last year due to other commitments. For the last few months, I have tried to have a go but I run out of breath quickly and I get hoarse too, so I don't bother much. Being a music teacher, it's hard when your taking a choir cos I sound more like a corn-crake!! Until I was diagnosed hypo recently and found out that shallow breathing and hoarseness was a typical symptom, I thought it was because of smoking and YES I know I must give it up because it's not helping and isn't doing me any good at all but being in the teaching profession, one can get stressed and I'm finding it hard to give up at the moment [especially now I feel anxious about this hypo I have recently found out about.]
I've also had lots of colds and chesty problems since September - probably picked up from the students - and that doesn't help with breathlessness when I wake up in a coughing fit. Maybe I am prone to these if I am hypo??

Hope you start to feel more your old self soon - I am certainly looking forward to feeling good again!
Love VillageLass

Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

your antibodies arnt very high are you sure they have made right diagnosis on you dosent sound like hashis , could you ahve some from of hyper im no expert so please dont take this as face value but i may have been put on for the wrong reazson what is your t4 did you say and wich antibodies test did you have love from kat have bloods as much as possible love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread