It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #16
(female)

scf71 HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Just thought I would jump in here. I am a mom of a 3 year old and a 6 year old. I was prescribed Lexapro for anxiety/depression over a year ago. Shortly after my 2nd was born I started having migraines and went to my GP who tested my thyroid. TSH was 5.0 but he knew enough to prescribe something. I've been on Synthroid since then. Within 6-8 weeks of starting it, I was feeling great. No more lethargy but still probs w/ weight gain and headaches. I also still have serious mood swings. Completely unloaded on my hubby in a psycho kind of way last night. Sheesh! It is really bad with PMS. I'm going to start seeing a natural med doc soon to see if I can get everything in check w/ supplements. My TSH is higher now than it has ever been, even before the Synthroid and that scares me. I'm worrid my darn thyorid is just going to give up on me!

Just wanted to share b/c we all seem to have somewhat similar situations. I hope the meds work for you ladies but also wanted to share my experience with them. My TSH today was 6.7!

Last edited by scf71; 11-15-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf71
Just thought I would jump in here. I am a mom of a 3 year old and a 6 year old. I was prescribed Lexapro for anxiety/depression over a year ago. Shortly after my 2nd was born I started having migraines and went to my GP who tested my thyroid. TSH was 5.0 but he knew enough to prescribe something. I've been on Synthroid since then. Within 6-8 weeks of starting it, I was feeling great. No more lethargy but still probs w/ weight gain and headaches. I also still have serious mood swings. Completely unloaded on my hubby in a psycho kind of way last night. Sheesh! It is really bad with PMS. I'm going to start seeing a natural med doc soon to see if I can get everything in check w/ supplements. My TSH is higher now than it has ever been, even before the Synthroid and that scares me. I'm worrid my darn thyorid is just going to give up on me!

Just wanted to share b/c we all seem to have somewhat similar situations. I hope the meds work for you ladies but also wanted to share my experience with them. My TSH today was 6.7!
Is your doctor going to raise your Synthroid dose? I'm new at this, but it seems like you are still not getting enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
(female)

kazkiwi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma
Pegpawz--I took the med. an hour and a half ago, and so far so good. How long did it take you to start feeling the effects once you started treatment? I am starting on a teeny tiny dose (my levels are not that far off, thankfully), so I am not sure if it will happen quickly or not.
everyone ive spoken 2 seems 2 be different. when i started meds it hit me on the first day. racing heart, feeling really spacey, sweating (for the first time in ages...funny how u dont notice u have stopped). it was so obvious my staff sent me home while i could still drive. i cut back to half tab for few days, felt terrific for a fewdays after that then started getting old symptoms like tiredness again but not as bad as before. my joint pain is steadily decreasing, my hair loss seems to have slowed. im guessing i will need dose increase at next check as i seem to have gotten used to this quickly. i was told it could be weeks to months to get symptoms under reasonable control once doses stable. interested to hear how u go. kaz

Old 11-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

cor blimey ladies! - we are all having a right old time of it! - Least I know from your posts that it's the meds that are causing me to be a psycho lady from hell - putting it VERY politely !!! and added with the PMS, Corrrrr, my hubby has alot to put up with !, he deserves a medel ! - again, I have done this wrong, writing from memory, and at present I cant remember a thing you put, and I read only a few seconds ago !! Ohhhh !! Yep my dr is great, eventualy I got one who would test me, and found my levels were sky high. 30 years its taken, for a diagnosis, even though I was telling them that things were definately not right, !, so i wont say too much about the system here ! So, as I am still getting these mood swings, should i be getting my meds put up?. I keep thinking that as im not getting any signs that i'm on too much, and in fact still getting freezing cold even though its warm, hair falling out, speech probs when stressed, brain fog, signs of an underactive, - is this is the right thing to do? corr i hope you understand this?!!! better go!, Speak soon ! and thanx !

Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #20
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggatypawz
cor blimey ladies! - we are all having a right old time of it! - Least I know from your posts that it's the meds that are causing me to be a psycho lady from hell - putting it VERY politely !!! and added with the PMS, Corrrrr, my hubby has alot to put up with !, he deserves a medel ! - again, I have done this wrong, writing from memory, and at present I cant remember a thing you put, and I read only a few seconds ago !! Ohhhh !! Yep my dr is great, eventualy I got one who would test me, and found my levels were sky high. 30 years its taken, for a diagnosis, even though I was telling them that things were definately not right, !, so i wont say too much about the system here ! So, as I am still getting these mood swings, should i be getting my meds put up?. I keep thinking that as im not getting any signs that i'm on too much, and in fact still getting freezing cold even though its warm, hair falling out, speech probs when stressed, brain fog, signs of an underactive, - is this is the right thing to do? corr i hope you understand this?!!! better go!, Speak soon ! and thanx !
I would think that you shouldn't have that many sypmtoms if they had found your correct dose...have you had your blood tested lately? If I were you I would at least get that done so your doctor has a chance to do the right thing.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

Hi again! - Yeah, I agree, I had my bloods done about 3 weeks now, and the tsh was 22, and my T4 was 6 ( Actually i keep saying t4, BUT IM NOT 100%SURE IF THATS THE RIGHT ONE, OR IF IT THE t3 ? - tHE STATISTIC THAT IS 6, IS FOR THE GLAND THAT PRODUCES THE THYROID, OR RATHER DOSNT !! ) Opps Caps lock !!! - anyhow, with these stats the dr put me up 25mg, and said come back in 2 months..... Think i should have em tested and see her earlier?.......... Hope you ok today, and getting there with your meds?..... Speak later ! ta for your input! - gr8 help !!!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #22
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Hi again! - Yeah, I agree, I had my bloods done about 3 weeks now, and the tsh was 22, and my T4 was 6 ( Actually i keep saying t4, BUT IM NOT 100%SURE IF THATS THE RIGHT ONE, OR IF IT THE t3 ? - tHE STATISTIC THAT IS 6, IS FOR THE GLAND THAT PRODUCES THE THYROID, OR RATHER DOSNT !! ) Opps Caps lock !!! - anyhow, with these stats the dr put me up 25mg, and said come back in 2 months..... Think i should have em tested and see her earlier?.......... Hope you ok today, and getting there with your meds?..... Speak later ! ta for your input! - gr8 help !!!
I think, from what I have read, that you do need to give your new dose 6-8 weeks to take full effect, so maybe when you go back at the end of the two months (which if I read it right, that is 4-5 weeks away?) if you are still not feeling better your doctor will probably up the meds again. I know how it feels in the meantime, though, I had to wait 2 months between my first and second blood tests, before my diagnosis, and with needing 2 hour naps every day alond with my daughter and dragging along the rest of the day, it was the LONGEST two months I have had in a long time.

I am feeling pretty good these days, though I had started to feel better about two weeks ago (Hashi's can ebb and flow). I know it's too soon to credit the medicine, but I am looking forward to feeling the effects of it soon! At this rate, I hope to be feeling like my old self again. Kind of brings a tear to my eye.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #23
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

so glad you feel better!! - Feel gr8 2day!, for the first time in at least four years, i went out, on my own, last night till 10pm and was not tired at all !!!! Hurrahhh !!! Sad huh !!, then was kept up with teething baby for a good few hours, and still got up this am to get my 4 year old to playgroup, and then onto an all day shopping trip with my hubby!, home now, not tired, and gonna get ready as my mum and dad gonna look after the kids while me and the hubster go out for a meal !!! - hav'nt done that for ages either !!!! - Ohh god hope im not on to much !!!!!!!!! Anyhows so glad you feel better too! Speak again........

Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #24
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

That's wonderful pegpawz!!! Sounds like a day in the life of many of my non-hypothyroid mom friends. Just don't overdo it because you feel so good. LOL.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #25
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

had a gr8 tme! - Still feeling ok as well, Fingers crossed ! - mind you im bloomin cold!!!!! and the ol fog still enwraps my brain !!! lol !!! Hope you ok ? - Hows you levelin out?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #26
(female)

kazkiwi HB User

Quote:
so glad you feel better!! - Feel gr8 2day!, for the first time in at least four years, i went out, on my own, last night till 10pm and was not tired at all !!!! Hurrahhh !!! Sad huh !!, then was kept up with teething baby for a good few hours, and still got up this am to get my 4 year old to playgroup, and then onto an all day shopping trip with my hubby!, home now, not tired, and gonna get ready as my mum and dad gonna look after the kids while me and the hubster go out for a meal !!! - hav'nt done that for ages either !!!! - Ohh god hope im not on to much !!!!!!!!! Anyhows so glad you feel better too! Speak again........
i can relate 2 the teething. first tooth for my 8 month old and started crawling backwards on w/e. im glad im feeling better on tx or it would have been pretty dire. hey anyone know anything about soy being anti thyroid? or some vegetables like brocolli/cabbage/kale etc? ive just seen mention of them as being foods to avoid and wondering if its quackery or substance. the vegetables i would be happy to do without, but soy i eat/drink heaps of as have a lactose intolerance.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #27
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

Hi there Kaz - My 8 month old now has 2 bottom teeth, but wakes at night as if she is cutting them all at once! but has other thoughts on the crawling ! - she stands with little help, and thinks she can do it alone! - also woke at the weekend with her sitting in her cot, smiling away at me !! ' Arn't I clever' I swear she was saying !, if i put her on the floor to have a go at crawling, she just 'nuts' her head!!! - Ho hum, im sure we'll get there eventually ! As for the foodie thing - I eat loads of broccoli, etc, and even though I cant speak from medical stats, do know that I dont think veggies do cause any probs to us HypoT's !!! - Dont hold me to it though - and if you dont like the veg anyhow, what a PERFECT EXCUSE!!!!! I have been gr8 for a few weeks now, but today have felt awful again - even having to go to bed for a while this pm..... Mmmmm thought id got to the end of this feeling awful - never mind.. lok on the positive side! - speak soon ! Thanx for the post ! Good to hear from people!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #28
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Hi Kazkiwi...I don't know if it's quackery either, though I have seen lists of those vegetables, too. In the books I read, they say those are "goitrogens" and to avoid them, but don't explain much as to why they are bad. I think as long as I don't eat huge quantities of them, I am going to keep eating them, but cut down on the soy products. I have seen more about the soy than the other ones.

Pegpawz, sorry you don't feel great today--maybe you will need a bigger dose? I have gotten so much done in the past week since I am feeling less lethargic. Like I said earlier, I don't know how much to blame the meds since it's only been a week

Last edited by bookishmomma; 11-20-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #29
(female)

peggatypawz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma
Hi Kazkiwi...I don't know if it's quackery either, though I have seen lists of those vegetables, too. In the books I read, they say those are "goitrogens" and to avoid them, but don't explain much as to why they are bad. I think as long as I don't eat huge quantities of them, I am going to keep eating them, but cut down on the soy products. I have seen more about the soy than the other ones.

Pegpawz, sorry you don't feel great today--maybe you will need a bigger dose? I have gotten so much done in the past week since I am feeling less lethargic. Like I said earlier, I don't know how much to blame the meds since it's only been a week
Bookish - Hi there - As you said to me 'dont do too much !!! - it'll wear you out for later '' !!!! - Ha and did i listem, !!!! lol, is'nt it hard if you are hving a good time, to stop..?!!!!!! Dont know if id prefer a sedate 2 weeks and one bad day , or a mad two weeks, and a week of feeling awful........ ! I too dont know wether to blame meds, or if Im actually ill!!! - Have spliting headache, eyes that feel heavy, need to close, freezing then hot - cold more than hot, fingers feeling like pins and needles, nausia, bad back - ohhh here i go again - what a hypocondriact !!!!!! hope your god days out way the bad!! - keep in touch !

Hi Kiwi ! - Hope you ok and coping with teething !!! any news on the broccoli front ???

Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi fellow thyroid freinds and everyone has been exactly that, ive been in my darkest hours on this board and somehow ive have come through it!!! lol
your levels were very high and you are bound to feel some real changes going on , my levels wernt as bad they were tsh of 13 and then 8 and ive ended up on a small amount of thyroxine wich is baffling for those docs i do have hashis also, its so strange how we all need different amounts of hormone to meet our needs, but i do think to start with i was weird round the monthly times and im sure the meds turned me into a loony on occasion!!! lol i also have a nice house and 3 kids under 10, and i hate the way ive yelled at them, but it does level out gradually, and ive always had bad heavy periods i get so naggy begfore its like a horrible tension but we are entitled to let off some steem and it really cant be helped at that time of the month!!lol my man has learned to give me a wide space duelly, so dont beat yourself up about it you have been poorly and it will take time to get better and i know how hard it is to remember the good days when those bad ones come but it should slowly become more gooder days than badder ones, im sending all my love to you from a thyroid freind and hoping you have some fun again really soon lots of love from ps how lovely for you with your new baby, i was very moody after the babys also it does get better yoo have been through so much take your time and really look after yourself you are relly worth it make sure you have time to relax not just runniong round after everyone and have a bit of down time and treat yourself to new clothes manicure etc love from katkatpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 11-21-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Closed Thread