It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

SOS... ANYONE READING THIS PLEASE POST A REPLY...
Can anyone please shed light.
I am nearly 9 weeks into treatment for HypoT,
My TSH level to start was 150 with my T4>5,
a week ago my TSH was 22, with a T4 of 6,
for the last few weeks, I have had really good days, doing loads, feeling happier than I have for ages - but since coming onto a period, I have been having EXTREME MOOD SWINGS, FAR FAR WORSE THAN EVER BEFORE. from being suicidal, crying, hating my family, even going so far as to pack a bag, and havng my hubby physically stopping me from walking and then a few hours later absolutely fine. Is this a symptom of HypoT or the meds that I am on ?- ( Levothyroxzine - 125mg per day).. or is it something else?, I had a baby 8 months ago, could it possibly Post Natal Depression.. The thing is I usually am quite a happy person, and not ike this at all, I have everything I could want, A lovely family, House, dog etc etc ! - I dont know whats happening -- Arrrhhhhhh ANY HELP ADVISE, OR JUST A FRIEND TO CHAT TO WOULD BE GREAT... THANX.

 
Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 35
kiwibaitnz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Hi there,
hope the day is going better now!! Yes mood swings are a problem for me as well. It makes you feel crazy that one moment you feel like your world is falling apart and others you sit back and wonder who that crazy person was and feel awfully ashamed that you could even have felt that way...sound familiar?

I have hashimotos hypo and going through changes again. I have always been prescribed antidepressants since before the diagnosis of hypo. Probably always have been somewhat hypo even before diagnosis. While I still have times when my world feels like it is falling apart they are farther apart and a lot more manageable. It has been 15 odd years since I have felt so bad that thoughts of the world would be better without me crossed my mind. Now my trouble is dealing with the 2 toddlers in my life and trying not to have too many outbursts with them and trying to get my hubby to understand what I am going through. Men find it hard to deal with us as we are usually the strong ones who deal with anything even when we feel like something the dog dragged in.

I am here to chat if you need to. Never feel alone
Tracy

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibaitnz
Hi there,
hope the day is going better now!! Yes mood swings are a problem for me as well. It makes you feel crazy that one moment you feel like your world is falling apart and others you sit back and wonder who that crazy person was and feel awfully ashamed that you could even have felt that way...sound familiar?

I have hashimotos hypo and going through changes again. I have always been prescribed antidepressants since before the diagnosis of hypo. Probably always have been somewhat hypo even before diagnosis. While I still have times when my world feels like it is falling apart they are farther apart and a lot more manageable. It has been 15 odd years since I have felt so bad that thoughts of the world would be better without me crossed my mind. Now my trouble is dealing with the 2 toddlers in my life and trying not to have too many outbursts with them and trying to get my hubby to understand what I am going through. Men find it hard to deal with us as we are usually the strong ones who deal with anything even when we feel like something the dog dragged in.

I am here to chat if you need to. Never feel alone
Tracy
YOU'VE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD ! - EXACTALLY HOW I FEEL! - ( ACTUALLY NOT AT THE MO ! - QUITE HAPPY AT PRESENT! - ARHHHHHH !! ) I TOO HAVE 2 KIDS ! A FOUR YEAR OLD MALE WHIRLWIND! AND MY LITTLE 8 MONTH SNUGGLE ! - i LOVE THEM BOTH TOO BITS, BUT WHEN i'M 'oFF ON ONE' HONESTLY THINK THEY WOULD BE BETTER OFF IN CARE, CANT EVEN BELIEVE IM SAYING THIS, SOUNDS SO STUPID NOW, AS I AM A GREAT MUM, AND LOVE MY KIDS TO BITS, WHERE DOES ALL THIS HATE COME FROM? IM SO LUCKY MY HUBBY UNDERSTANDS, AND IS A GREAT ROCK, MY PARENTS ARE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND, OHHH I JUST DONT KNOW WHATS HAPPENING... YOU MENTION hashimotos..... i'VE TRIED LOOKING ON INTERNET, BUT CANT REALLY FIND ANYTHING APART FROM IT IS A CAUSE OF HYPOT.... WHAT IS THIS, KEEPS POPPING UP ON THIS SITE, BUT CANT UNDERSTAND..... Mmmmm MY BRAIN NOT WORKING EITHER!.......... aNYHOWS THANX SO MUCH FOR REPLY.........YOU'VE HELPED ME NO END ! tHANX

 
Old 11-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mystic Ct USA
Posts: 32
tanyacook13 HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Hi, I know how it feels. I had to go on antidepressants when my son was 8 months old. I think I was probably hypoT then also? But it sounds like you may be suffering some depression also, which is caused by the hypoT(most likely?) I was just diagnosed with Hashim. and started on Synthroid, but I don't feel any better yet! I too get very moody even on antidep. but at least my depression is better. Thank goodness for small favors!!

I know what you mean, my son who is now 2 1/2 is my saving grace right now! I just keep telling myself that it will get better!

Tanya

 
Old 11-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 165
Jenny C. HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggatypawz
SOS... ANYONE READING THIS PLEASE POST A REPLY...
Can anyone please shed light.
I am nearly 9 weeks into treatment for HypoT,
My TSH level to start was 150 with my T4>5,
a week ago my TSH was 22, with a T4 of 6,
for the last few weeks, I have had really good days, doing loads, feeling happier than I have for ages - but since coming onto a period, I have been having EXTREME MOOD SWINGS, FAR FAR WORSE THAN EVER BEFORE. from being suicidal, crying, hating my family, even going so far as to pack a bag, and havng my hubby physically stopping me from walking and then a few hours later absolutely fine. Is this a symptom of HypoT or the meds that I am on ?- ( Levothyroxzine - 125mg per day).. or is it something else?, I had a baby 8 months ago, could it possibly Post Natal Depression.. The thing is I usually am quite a happy person, and not ike this at all, I have everything I could want, A lovely family, House, dog etc etc ! - I dont know whats happening -- Arrrhhhhhh ANY HELP ADVISE, OR JUST A FRIEND TO CHAT TO WOULD BE GREAT... THANX.
Hi,

I was just reading your post...how awful...I just wanted to write and let you know, that IF you need a FRIEND...Please feel free to contact me. I will LISTEN.
I don't have bad mood swings, so I don't understand that part, but I did just have half of my thyroid out..but I AM HAPPY, so HOPEFULLY, I remain that way
Anyways, IF you just want to talk about your kids or how you are feeling, I will be here. I have 6 children, so I know how crazy a life of a busy mom can get..at times it is very overwhelming.
I just wanted to write and let you know, YOU AREN'T ALONE...these people on this board are a WONDERFUL support group..So please don't hesitate to call on me IF you need a shoulder to cry on.

Take Care!!
Jenny

 
Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 469
sudufu HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

(((((((((((((( peggatypawz ))))))))))))))

Yes, my dear HORRID mood swings are part of adjusting hypo-thy meds. For me the worst was when I started Synthroid. It got better since I've been on Cytomel (May). And in Sept my new Doc (Osteopathic ) added Levoxyl TO that. And I find around the 3-5 week mark of new meds dose, I hit a crazy " manic " phase where I can be ALL OVER the MAP

So I think I understand where you are
*hugs* to you,
Sue

 
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

TRACY. TANYA. JENNY. SUE.......
THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!......
Woke this morning to a MAJOR rawkus with my four year old son, I went totally over the top, as usual, but my hubby bailed me out... Ohhh 4 year olds can be so testing, esp mine !!! Thinks he knows it all, and im afraid Im as bad, and we end up shouting at each other.... ridiculas, shout at him, and obviously he's gonna shout back - learned behaviour...... See I even know the psychology behind it !!! Arrrrhhhhhhhhhh ! BUT........
Had a bit of Retal theray later with my much put upon hubby and kids ! All went well, myself and son did'nt antaganise each other, and we had a great time! Fingers crossed and it's still good ! My head is just starting to fog, but at least im aware of it !!! Another question.......
Does anyone have the feeling that they have to yawn to get a breath/oxygen ? Very strange ? I have always had this problem but have always put it down to asthma, today, im thinking its more because of the hypoT, as I cant get oxygen, but am not wheezing?... VERY ODD... Anyone else felt the same?
Again thanks for all your kind comments, I CERTAINLY will, keep on posting, WATCH THIS SPACE !!!! Thanx Again !

 
Old 11-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: n/a
Posts: 6
kazkiwi HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

im new to this, got lots of questions....like whats this thing about little kids? the first thing i noticed was the common thread. i was diagnosed hypothyroid a couple of weeks ago, i have 8 month old baby and 3 1/2 yo. for ages ive struggled so hard to maintain some sort of stability, hated myself physically and mentally and now i am starting to grasp that there is a reason for the change...now that im feeling well enough to notice or care...and it looks like there are others with similarities. ive found it good having a diagnosis (totally unexpected tho...went to the dr for severe joint pain) so it hasnt just been shattering exhaustion from working too hard in my job, effect of having babies, laziness and getting older etc as ive been thinking. im just so glad since starting the thyroxine that the week just doesnt go from monday to thursday and back to monday again, that my joints dont ache so much and that im getting a bit of alertness back so i can pay attention in more than a superficial way to my 2 lovely daughters. perhaps my hair will stop falling out before too much scalp is visible! i do hope the mood thing is influenced as my levels build up to...or am i in dreamland... ive had to walk away when i just wanted to 'let rip' over the simplest things which never used to be me...and i know im not being the role model i want to be because im just not entirely in control. does your memory every come back...or is it a case of you dont miss what you dont remember? do you ever feel like serious exercise again? anyone know anything about how thyroxine affected their breast fed baby...im told that it shouldnt affect her but the more milk she has from me i notice odd things like sweating more, sleeping less, irritability. looking forward to picking your brains...an ever-optomistic kaz

 
Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkiwi
im new to this, got lots of questions....like whats this thing about little kids? the first thing i noticed was the common thread. i was diagnosed hypothyroid a couple of weeks ago, i have 8 month old baby and 3 1/2 yo. for ages ive struggled so hard to maintain some sort of stability, hated myself physically and mentally and now i am starting to grasp that there is a reason for the change...now that im feeling well enough to notice or care...and it looks like there are others with similarities. ive found it good having a diagnosis (totally unexpected tho...went to the dr for severe joint pain) so it hasnt just been shattering exhaustion from working too hard in my job, effect of having babies, laziness and getting older etc as ive been thinking. im just so glad since starting the thyroxine that the week just doesnt go from monday to thursday and back to monday again, that my joints dont ache so much and that im getting a bit of alertness back so i can pay attention in more than a superficial way to my 2 lovely daughters. perhaps my hair will stop falling out before too much scalp is visible! i do hope the mood thing is influenced as my levels build up to...or am i in dreamland... ive had to walk away when i just wanted to 'let rip' over the simplest things which never used to be me...and i know im not being the role model i want to be because im just not entirely in control. does your memory every come back...or is it a case of you dont miss what you dont remember? do you ever feel like serious exercise again? anyone know anything about how thyroxine affected their breast fed baby...im told that it shouldnt affect her but the more milk she has from me i notice odd things like sweating more, sleeping less, irritability. looking forward to picking your brains...an ever-optomistic kaz
KAZ CONGRATULATIONS AS TO GETTING DIAGNOSED!. ... You will feel better, but for me at least it's taking time! - Sorry to start on a neg, but dont wanna say I felt better immediately, cause that just aint true !!, BUT !!!!.... Did feel more like my old self, and was able to do FAR FAR MORE in a matter of weeks, For me it's getting dosages right, I have been told by my Doc that I am fairly unique , here in UK at least, as when I was first diagnosed my TSH was off UK Scale at 150 with a t4 of >5, also as I had been put on antidepressants, my situation was critical as the depresssants were putting me into a coma ! - Totally paralyised me !!!! Great Fun !! but now just gotta sort my moods, stuttering when stressed, and foggy brain, Hair falling ut, and i think that me sorted !!! Not too much too ask...Oh also I have become very self obsessed!!!, talk about my HypoT all the time, and am a real pain with it !... But apparently it's not just me that that happens to !! ( Or maybe the others were just being kind ?!!!! ) Im rambling, mind gone off on one again ! - Ill stop now, but when can think straighter will post again ! and try to look at your questions - but it does seem like we a quite similar !speak to you soon !!

 
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 292
bookishmomma HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

I can identify with you ladies! The mood swings are one of the most bothersome symptoms I have...that is NOT the person I am or want to be, and with an 18 month-old to take care of, I want to be the even-keeled woman I used to be. It is so good to hear some of you saying you are starting to feel better with the medicine, because I was just definitively diagnosed today, actually (Hashimoto's), and start my levothyroxine tomorrow! I look forward to feeling better.

 
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 292
bookishmomma HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Oh, and Kazkiwi...sorry I don't have more personal experience info for you about the breastfeeding, but I weaned my baby before all this started. I do remember reading in one of my thyroid books that it shouldn't pass through your milk unless you are being overmedicated, though. Has your doc checked your levels lately to make sure you are not getting too much? It does sound like your baby may be getting some; you know him/her best!

 
Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma
I can identify with you ladies! The mood swings are one of the most bothersome symptoms I have...that is NOT the person I am or want to be, and with an 18 month-old to take care of, I want to be the even-keeled woman I used to be. It is so good to hear some of you saying you are starting to feel better with the medicine, because I was just definitively diagnosed today, actually (Hashimoto's), and start my levothyroxine tomorrow! I look forward to feeling better.
BOOKISHMOMMA - You must have started your LevoThyroxzine now?, How are you finding it? - Im on this too, still have not got my dosage correct, but am feeling SO MUCH BETTER ALREADY! - Fingers are crossed that you are feeling better.... It is so nice to come to these boards and hear that other people are the same as me ! - I have even just seen a symptom posted here, that I have quite badly, but never for a minute thought was symptom of my HypoT. This whole thing gets stranger and stranger !!! - Congrats on diagnosis anyhow, and hope you feel better real soon ! - Let me know what you think of the Levothyroxzine...... PegPawz!

Last edited by peggatypawz; 11-15-2006 at 06:16 AM.

 
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 292
bookishmomma HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Pegpawz--I took the med. an hour and a half ago, and so far so good. How long did it take you to start feeling the effects once you started treatment? I am starting on a teeny tiny dose (my levels are not that far off, thankfully), so I am not sure if it will happen quickly or not.

 
Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: herne bay, kent, england
Posts: 33
peggatypawz HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma
Pegpawz--I took the med. an hour and a half ago, and so far so good. How long did it take you to start feeling the effects once you started treatment? I am starting on a teeny tiny dose (my levels are not that far off, thankfully), so I am not sure if it will happen quickly or not.
Hey! When I first started they had me on 175mg to begin, as my levels were critical!, ( I dont like to do thigs by half!!! ) BUT, this, for me, was the worst thing, I reacted badly, completely zonked me, unable to get myself outta bed, talk blar de blar!!!, scarey stuff, so i stopped the 175mg, and went way back to 25mg for three days, then 50mg for four days etc etc - doing that and i felt better within a few days, but much better within a bout a week and a half!!! - Corr I can ramble when asked a simple question !!!! - As you say, you are not too far off, so Presumably treatment should work quicker? - Fingers crossed for you!! - I've not heard of anyone from the u.s taking Levothyroxzine, are you a fellow UK lass, if so, what did you think of the way your dianosis was handeled ??? how u r treated by ur gp? screaming babies now !!! must go and feed!!! ta again for your thoughts ! Pegpawz!

 
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 292
bookishmomma HB User
Re: SOS.HypoT & extreme moods? HELP PLEASE..

Hi again Pegpawz...glad to hear you were able to feel better in only a week and a half! From reading other's posts here, I'd say you are one of the lucky ones. I am from the US (California), and I actually ended up with levothyroxine because my pharmacy was out of Synthroid. I'm not sure if it's just a generic, or the same thing you are taking. Either way, so far I am thinking my doctor is handling things pretty well, although I have had a few cautions from some of the veteran posters around here. Hopefully, though, I have a good one! How about you?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Anyone Have a Fibroid & It Has Caused Hair Loss salty Hair Loss / Alopecia 38 05-25-2010 01:21 PM
Bipolar I, & BPD. BipolarPrincess Bipolar Disorder 24 05-07-2009 11:34 PM
Aspergers & Bi Polar?? 1boy4me Asperger's Syndrome 13 12-01-2006 02:36 PM
syndrome X and hypoT daisy01 Thyroid Disorders 4 03-22-2006 01:48 PM
Multinodudular Goiter seasandi Thyroid Disorders 5 12-23-2005 05:16 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (627), FinnMaid (308), Reece (224), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (45), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (899), Titchou (835), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!