It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
(female)

mistybluey HB User
Why does this have to be such an issue?

Hello Everyone !

I think I need some advice on how to assert myself a bit without coming across the wrong way with the health professionals who are treating me. Here is a very brief background of the situation though, so you'll understand why I think I lack the skills I need ! lol

In 2001, finally went to endo after a regular doc insisting I have my thyroid checked ( very slight swelling, I mean SLIGHT) but... normal blood levels were found. So endo says "well, all looks fine to me"

Time in between then and now - Back and forth to doc, with depressions, anxiety , panic attacks. They even sent me to a mental health doc last year because I was hearing voices . I went once and all he could do was tell me I probably needed to be on meds and it didnt' matter if they made me fatter so get over that little ISSUE I had about all the other meds they had put me on. *sigh*And .. oh , how much did I have in my checking account ? lol I was freaked and didn't go back and just dealt with it till voices and other psychosis subsided which took a few months. Sometimes it wants to creep back in, but I just deal with it. I hate what anti- depressants do to me, and I'm scared after some horrific experiences with many kinds.

Hair loss , migraines, diarahea, severe irritability, mood swings, dry skin, and most recently edema in legs when I tried to walk, leg hurting all the time, and wild changes in weight. From not eating anything and gaining weight to eating and losing...STILL.. blood levels are *normal* which makes me want to scream.

However, I did go to the doc in August, did ultrasound, and she says it was a large nodule and to go get a nuclear scan. Well I lost my health insurance two years ago during divorce, so I had to save up for a down payment to get that done. Got it. Large cold nodule with unremarkable uptake and possible carcinoma is what the nurse read to me. So my doc ( at low cost health clinic) referred me to a surgeon. So I pull together money for that and he's great, in that he actually understood I wasn't working due to mental and health issues and got me in a program called vocational rehabilitation. I basically agreed to see a couselor with a goal toward employment. That part was wonderful and I'm SO grateful for this surgeon recognizing the obstacles and helping find ways around them.

I'm scheduled for TT on Dec 4 and I'm okay with that. The surgeon asked if I would like a FNA but said since my nodule was large and affecting me swallowing, breating, etc, it would need to come out anyway, so I turned down FNA to save on costs. The program would probably pay for it now, but I see no need to make more costs than necessary especially since Im' getting help. I'm okay with all this, but what is bugging me is that nobody ever tells me my bloodwork results. They just say "well, everything came out normal."

I know when I went to surgeon I heard him tell nurse to check free T's?

Wow.. sorry for long post, now to the point of all this. How do I ask for my reports and all in such a way that doesn't offend or make the staff/doctors mad. I asked for them at the clinic of my regular doc and they looked at me like I was nuts and said it was impossible to get them now, they couldn't do it themselves. Someone has to come in and retrieve files from computer and they don't mess with that. * again.. so confusing*

I can't switch docs, obviously as I'm stuck with whoever will help me thru this financially and get back on my feet. I don't want to be difficult, I just want my results! So I'm thinking of asking the surgeons staff if I can have them but the other experience kinda put me off.

How do I request, what do I say, in a way that won't sound like I'm being a difficult patient. I may be wrong, but I sense that since I'm low income, and have health/mental issues, they think I'm dumb, to dumb to even bother explaining. Or maybe it's a time issue with them also. Not sure. Well, I'm not dumb... Really lol .Maybe I'm not extra smart, but I can read and learn. *smile*

Thanks to whoever has any ideas, a good approach to use or whatever. And if anyone could tell me how to get thru to a doctor that normal blood levels don't mean I FEEL normal, I'd appreciate it. I feel like using logic and tact is the key, just not sure what to say :-)

P.S. I will keep everyone updated on my surgery for those who come here looking for info on what it's like. I know that's what led me here, and I read the stories about others surgeries and how low the risk was for it being cancerous and that made me feel much more relaxed. So I'll be happy to post and hopefully help someone else . Today I go for EKG and chest xrays and more bloodwork pre-surgery so I'll be off my pc, but hopefully someone can help enlighten me on this *****ly issue of being proactive in my own health lol

Last edited by mistybluey; 11-27-2006 at 04:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Why does this have to be such an issue?

Hi Mistybluey,

Hope everything turns out ok for you. As to your medical records, whenever I've run into problems, I mail a letter to the doctor's office that says: Please provide me with a copy of my (either "medical records" if you want them all or "lab results" if that's all you want). You may mail them to the following address: (I put in my mailing address). If there are any special forms to fill out or costs involved, please let me know. Thank you, (sign your name, and provide your phone number.

It's really pretty simple. They are required to provide you with medical records upon request. My explanation on the occassions that I've been asked is that I like to keep a complete copy of my medical records so that I will have them immediately available should the need arise. Don't let them intimidate you. It's your body and you have every right to know what's going on with it.

Helen

Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

scf71 HB User
Re: Why does this have to be such an issue?

Sorry you've been having such a rough go of it. It can all be so terribly frustrating.

As accessn12 said, I've requested medical records many times in the past. You don't have to do it through the physician even. You may need to go in person to medical records to sign a release but that's about it.

Good luck w/ everything and definitely keep us posted.

Closed Thread