It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

shdsofgrey HB User
fibroids related to the thyroid?

Does anyone know if fibroids are related to the thyroid? My Obgyn just called and said they found 2 uteran fibroids and possibly one in the lining. I'm actually happy about it because it gives some explanation to the heavy bleeding I've been going thru

I know endometreosis is related, but I didn't know if fibroids were

thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User
Re: fibroids related to the thyroid?

Hi shdsofgrey,

I don't know if fibroids are a direct result of thyroid issues. I also was diagnosed with one while trying to figure out what was going on with my thyroid. I have heard of other people with thyroid problems having fibroids as well. Whether it is coincidence or not I'm not sure.

Take care,

lil'miss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi i have one to and a thyroid problem thats why i have the heavy periods i was thinkin could having low iron from this cause thyroid problems if you have them for a long time??? i wonder how many of us have this problem???? love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Great question! I recently researched this and there does seem to be some connection.

I wonder if women who have fibroids due to hypothyroidism will get relief once they are properly regulated. Does anyone know? I am still not optimally regulated. My periods are very heavy and the symptoms during this time are debilitating.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I am hypo. menopausal, and also have fibroids. The fibroids seem to be more related to menopausal issues for me than the hypo. problems. So far the fibroids have not caused me any serious discomfort, for me the heavy periods etc. were probably caused by peri-menopause. Now that I am in full menopause, the fibroids seem to be shrinking, or at least no longer enlarging according to ultrasounds. Hope this info helps anybody else.

Last edited by Red Maple; 12-01-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

debratheartist HB User

how do you know you have fibroids? i ask because i have been passing lots of tissue and clots for a year and a half with heavy periods. do you also get that? i'm not sure how heavy is normal (at least 7 maxipads on the heaviest day) and the dr said everything looked fine (blood a bit dark tho) but it's not and the thyroid/iron issues are on the edge but no one has been willing to offer any suggestions or treatment.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi debratheartist. Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding and clotting. I think they can be felt when you are examined by the gyno and/or detected through an ultrasound. Your periods sound heavy. You may want to ask your doctor to check for fibroids.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I know several women with thyroid disease who also have fibroids - myself included (it was the main reason I had to have a hysterectomy - heavy bleeding caused by numerous fibroids).

The connection seems to be that too much estrogen can oppose thyroid hormone, effectively causing hypothyroid symptoms even when thyroid blood work appears normal. The closer one is to menopause, the worse the imbalance between estrogen and progesterone can be, (or, if one takes synthetic estrogen in HRT or BC pills) and the greater the likelihood of developing fibroids, and low thyroid symptoms. There has to be a ratio between the two hormones, estrogen/progesterone, which, if messed up, can cause numerous symptoms. I've read where some women's hypothyroid symptoms resolved just by taking progesterone to restore the balance between estrogen and progesterone! That didn't work for me, but I was so far gone when finally diagnosed that it would have been a miracle if it helped me.

Do some reading on the Internet on "estrogen dominence."

Blessings,

Ora

Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

mine havent really got that much better after the meds, for me it was either go on he pill ast 35 or have drugs when i get the bleeding so i opted for the drugs during the periods, but i was thinking if this is the case could the fibroids which often go unoticed caused the thyroid problem in the first place cos i had heavy periods for a long time before i got diagnosed with the fibroids or the hashis??????? what do you think but i bet your bottom dollar no doc in the world is going to know the awnswer
this is interesting how many of us have theese anyone else???????
good threadxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlove from kat

Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
(female)

debratheartist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraEtLabora
I know several women with thyroid disease who also have fibroids - myself included (it was the main reason I had to have a hysterectomy - heavy bleeding caused by numerous fibroids).

The connection seems to be that too much estrogen can oppose thyroid hormone, effectively causing hypothyroid symptoms even when thyroid blood work appears normal. The closer one is to menopause, the worse the imbalance between estrogen and progesterone can be, (or, if one takes synthetic estrogen in HRT or BC pills) and the greater the likelihood of developing fibroids, and low thyroid symptoms. There has to be a ratio between the two hormones, estrogen/progesterone, which, if messed up, can cause numerous symptoms. I've read where some women's hypothyroid symptoms resolved just by taking progesterone to restore the balance between estrogen and progesterone! That didn't work for me, but I was so far gone when finally diagnosed that it would have been a miracle if it helped me.

Do some reading on the Internet on "estrogen dominence."

Blessings,

Ora
wow! i wonder if you are onto something with me but i need to ask you: they tested fsh, lh, estradiol, prolactin, testosterone on me. do one of those tests include it or was that test overlooked with me? how is progesterone tested?

these tests were all in range for me BUT i had a breast reduction 20 years ago as did mom and sis and so estrogen dominence sounds VERY likely. a few of her sisters have had hysterectomies! now i'm wondering if i need to ask some personal hx questions of the family.

also, mom has fibroids or something (lumpy but benign) in her breasts (i don't) are uterine fibroids connected? are fibroids hereditary?

thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

i have never had any of theese tests lol but you can have this to much estrogen and not enough pregostrogone hmmmm alot have theese dont we anyone else???? love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx ps do you get sore boobs sometimes??? and how can we up our prestregostrone or however you say it lol ??

Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

The sore breasts are because the estrogen receptors are waking up, so to speak, due to an increased amount of estrogen (or progesterone) for whatever reason.

You can get natural progesterone from either a doctor who will prescribe it (my Holistic MD does), or you can buy it OTC in the States (don't know about the UK) in any health food store. It comes in cream form, and you just rub on a certain amount each day. I wouldn't go that route unless I had my levels tested, to see where I was at before attempting to self administer the stuff. I am fortunate to have a doctor who checks my estrogen/progesterone levels every 3 months, and adjusts my dose of estrogen/progesterone accordingly.

ora

Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks ora can youreally buy it over the counter or can you walk into a health store and buy it does it have a brand name im pretty sure my doc wont test me on the fact that i have a fibroid post back if you can and thankyou love fro kat anyone else had theese fybroidsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Pursie,

Do some reading on the Internet about bio-identical hormones - I think there are even some books on the subject of using Progesterone to counter the effects of estrogen dominence. I've had friends buy progesterone creams to use, and they claim it helped them. So, yes, in the States, you can buy it in health food stores. It's natural and so can be sold without a script. There are some concerns about taking too much, so read as much as you can if you are considering using it.

Too bad your doc won't test you. I had severe bleeding for many years, and finally went to a doc who tested my estrogen, but not the progesterone. He was amazed at how high my estrogen was, and kept asking me if I was SURE I wasn't pregnant. He kept shaking his head over how high my estrogen was, but he never suggested countering it with natural progesterone - he just let me go on like that for many years, until I ended up having a hysterectomy for numerous fibroids and long-term bleeding. So, it's not unusual for docs to not check progesterone levels - which is problematic for women struggling with hormonal imbalances.

Blessings,

Ora

Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks ora i shall be looking into this whole thing and i will be buying some cream after researching yes we have to advicate our selves and research etc, maybe one day it will be easier for hypos do you think lots of love from kat and i guess i just keep on pushing lol im so good at itxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread