It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
(male)

enigmatics HB User
Tight/Choking sensation in the neck/throat area

I've heard many people mention that they get a choaking sensation in the neck/throat/chest area. For the past 3 or 4 days all day long I've been getting this clenching feeling up in my throat area all the way down into my chest. I'm also feeling something close to heatburn, but the burning sensation is right near where my thyroid is. The tightness feels like when you ring out a wet towel.

Is this what people have been referring to? I've got another doctors appointment tomorrow morning, hoping this will further provide evidence of my long-suspected thyroid issue.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

Jenny C. HB User
Re: Tight/Choking sensation in the neck/throat area

Hi,

The tight/choking sensation, I felt with my thyroid, was I had felt like there was a big clump of something, stuck in my throat...I kept feeling like I needed to clear it out. Then when I ate certain food, it felt like it got stuck in there, and I would have the sensation, that I was choking, but I wasn't, it just gave me that illusion, since the nodule on my thyroid was pressing in on my throat.
This is the best way I can explain, how mine felt...I am not sure on how others experiences are.

I would definitely tell your Dr, in the morning, so he/she will maybe will run a sonogram, just to see if there is anything on the thyroid.
Have you been diagnosed with nodules??
They also went down my throat with a scope, they did it right in the office, and he said, he could see the lump pressing into my throat.
So your Dr, might go that route too...Don't know, but it is definitely important to let him know what you are feeling.

Good Luck and Keep me posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
(male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny C.
Hi,

The tight/choking sensation, I felt with my thyroid, was I had felt like there was a big clump of something, stuck in my throat...I kept feeling like I needed to clear it out. Then when I ate certain food, it felt like it got stuck in there, and I would have the sensation, that I was choking, but I wasn't, it just gave me that illusion, since the nodule on my thyroid was pressing in on my throat.
This is the best way I can explain, how mine felt...I am not sure on how others experiences are.

I would definitely tell your Dr, in the morning, so he/she will maybe will run a sonogram, just to see if there is anything on the thyroid.
Have you been diagnosed with nodules??
They also went down my throat with a scope, they did it right in the office, and he said, he could see the lump pressing into my throat.
So your Dr, might go that route too...Don't know, but it is definitely important to let him know what you are feeling.

Good Luck and Keep me posted!
I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I've been fighting with stubborn docs for the last year and a half. This guy will be the 4th one I've gone to. My girlfriend insists he's the kind of guy who will really hear me out.

I'll definately let you know how it goes. I just want answers already.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Jenny, what did they do about your situation? I have this same similiar problem. I go back to the Dr. on the 19th as first appt he found that i had a goiter wich i believe means enlarged thyroid and three very small nodules. At the first appt. he ordered for intesnse blood work like the t4 ect. and i have to wait to find out the relults. Meanwhile my thyroid feels the same. Is there anything i can do, and if my labs come back normal what may happen? Like what makes you not have a goiter?

Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

ive been having the same thing if i get hyper from the meds my throid hurts and i cant breath so good then if i knock them down it feels like im choking love from kat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmy doc said no to a ultra soundxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

shywiseowl HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tight/Choking sensation in the neck/throat area

Oh thank goodness I thought I was going mad! I have the same tight/lumpy/burning feeling in the thyroid area that sometimes goes just below the Thyroid area. Both my mum and my sister have Thyroid problems so it wont supprise me if this is infact the issue. I have to travel 600 kilometres to see my doctor as she lives in a different town to me but she is worth it. She is the only doctor I trust and I might print this thread out to show to her. I will post in here once I know the results of my tests! Thank you so much from little old New Zealand I am so stoked I found this place!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

i hate to say it but seems like everyone has felt that "choking feeling". it really is scary and really uncomfortable. wat works for me is either drinking water...cuz then u know that your throat isn't closing up on ur. or chew on gum cuz then u keep swallowing. and it really is a mind over matter thing. it's really annoying if anything. but do ask your doctor to check and see if your thyroid isn't inflammed or anything. goodluck.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

stina3246 HB User

I'm SO glad I found this thread. I've had this feeling for over a month now. I have a very LARGE nodule (been there at least 15 years.....LOTS of tests) which I believe is the cause of the problem but have been unable to find much info on it so I was beginning to think it was something MUCH worse. I JUST had yet another biopsy today and will have an endoscopy on Mon. My original doctor told me right away that this is what she thinks is the problem but I have that worse case scenario kind of thinking so I was having a very hard time calming down. I'm having it removed with in the next 2 weeks no matter what the biopsy results are.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us that our problems are resolved quickly.

Closed Thread