It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
High TSH levels and dizziness - related??

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any insite as to how I have felt lately. A couple of months ago I started having random dizzy spells throughout the day that would last for a couple of minutes. I would also wake up in the morning and be dizzy for about 10-15 minutes. A few weeks ago I was busy working on my laptop at night and when I was finished I stood up to go to bed and was so dizzy I had to be helped into bed and change clothes. I had cold chills and was shaking (probably because I was scared to death) and I finally fell asleep. I basically felt like the ground was uneasy and I was extremely off balance. I have had vertigo in the past (about 10 years ago) when I was a child and this is very different. I remember what vertigo felt like and this isn't the same. Also, once the dizziness finally goes away I feel very lightheaded and usually have a headache for a few days.

I went to see my doctor a couple of weeks ago and he took several blood tests and all he came up with was that I have moderate high TSH levels (about 6) and prescribed me a low dose of Synthroid (50 mcg). He wants me to come back in a month and re-assess my TSH levels and see how I feel. I was confident that that would be okay but just today I had another bad dizzy spell. This one didn't last as long but it it has left me lightheaded again and with another bad headache.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had these same symtoms with high TSH levels? I noticed on the internet that symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, memory problems, concentration, fatigue, etc. I do feel fatigued a lot but I have trouble sleeping at night because I'll sometimes wake up and feel dizzy and honestly it scares me! I haven't gained any weight that I have noticed and I think my memory is fine, but I have trouble concentrating sometimes just because I'm worried it could be something more serious.

Sorry this ended up being so long!! Thanks for listening! I would love any advice anyone has to offer!

Last edited by alwayshotroddin; 12-02-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

Shannon7 HB User
Re: High TSH levels and dizziness - related??

hi. I have to say I could have written your post! I have been told dizziness isn't related to thyroid problems, but my dr. hasn't been able to tell me what it's from. I had occassional dizzy spells off and on throughtout my life, but usually just when standing up real quick or sometimes when waking in the morning, but after my dd was born I was diagnosed with a hyperactive nodule and boy oh boy was my dizziness bad! After being treated with radio active idodine to kill off the nodule I have been slowly going hypo and my dizziness got better, but the last 3 weeks it is back again. Not as bad as it was this summer thankgod, but I am just praying it doesn't keep getting worse.

I know my dr. says my dizziness isn't related to my thyroid, but it is such a coinincidence that I know when my labs will show fluctuations when my dizziness is worse. I finally got a prescription of Synthroid and even though it is a low dose my dizziness is worse since starting it. It is a scary feeling, isn't it?

Hope you are feeling better today-Shannon

Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hypothyroidism causes dizziness; high TSH does not. There are no symptoms associated with TSH in and of itself; it's only the messenger that delivers the message that you don't have enough actual thyroid hormone circulating in your system.

When your thyroid levels reach the heights your body wants them to be, your dizziness will be gone - provided it isn't caused by something other than your thyroid.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I think I jinxed myself as I was posting my message last night. I woke up at 12:30 am this morning with really bad Vertigo. It lasted until about 3 pm this afternoon and now I'm just kind of lightheaded/awkward feeling. I went to see one of those "on-hand" doctors (they call them Redi-med or Stat care where I'm from) and he thinks that my past dizziness symptoms and now having vertigo are not related at all. He actually thinks that my past dizziness may not be related to my TSH levels at all and that it may be due to stress. I'm a grad student and work a lot of hours each work so I guess that very well may be the case. Tomorrow I'm going to call my regular doctor and hopefully get a CT scan or MRI completed to see if they can detect anything with my inner ear that may be causing the vertigo.

I have to say to Shannon that they need to find out what is wrong with us! I quit taking my Synthroid today because I think I was feeling better up until I started that medication. They told me that Synthroid would not cause dizziness/Vertigo but it sure is weird that it came on so suddenly. Good luck with your dizziness and keep me updated! Thanks again for your input.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Ok...........I just switched from Synthroid to Armour BECAUSE Even though I was feeling better as far as my mood and anxiety we has upped it from .50 to .75 WHOA!! Talk about dizzy and totally out of it........we lowered it to .62......the longer I was on that dose the worse my whoozy and dizzyness got.....I went in for testing just knowing I was on to much med......NOPE all my labs were great EXCEPT my T3 was low. SO my DR switched me to ARMOUR 2 days ago..........I am NOW SOOOOOOOO MOODY AND WEEPY it is awful.......not sure what is up with all this. I have had a few dizzy spells the last 2 days as well.....to much med? I know it works different than Synthroid but I think the Dr needs to understand that we may have symptoms/sideeffects that are not text book!!
how are your labs on the med or did you not stay on it long enough?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hello and sorry everyone about all your problems u to have dizzy spells and have been worse with low iron and i get them really bad well used to when standing up quikly this was worse when i was hypo and when i first had the meds it has settled a bit touching wood maybe you need to settle or you are over medicated ive heard other people going onto armour have this in the begginning its such a strong drug its pure natural hormone and when you loose that hormone as you are getting more hypo then all of a sudden you get bumped up really quikly and its a bit of a jolt i hear????????? though i would give it a go if i got worse but sadly we dont or rarely get it in the old uk best wishes and happy xmas love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Hi Fusion,

I only stayed on Synthroid for 2 days. I'm thinking that my Vertigo spell was not related to Synthroid at all and that all along my symptoms are related to my inner ear. I'm going to see an ENT doctor next week to see if that is the real source of the problem. If the Synthroid and high TSH levels ARE my real problem than oh lord I might as well quit my job and school because I don't think I can handle any more Vertigo spells! Dizziness is one thing but when the room starts spinning that is something else LOL! I hope your symptoms clear up and they get your dosage right! I think doctors guess half the time as to what is right. Scary huh? Take care!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
(female)

boata HB User

I had this until I was able to get my Ferritin level up. Ferritin is iron stores, not just iron. You have to ask specifically for a ferritin test - from what I have been told and from my own experience - a level of 60-90 is good. You will be told it is "normal" if it is above 20 (I think). I take a liver extract from my health food store and it has worked great for me to get this level up.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks boato , yes i beleive thats the case with me my iron has got better but my ferritin has took months to get it back it was 17 and now ivw got it up to 48 yippee im on luiquid iron daily, and yep i think they are lifting as the ferritin does, one other thing the hair loss is bad and what level does it recover??? i hope it does does your hair do this love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Closed Thread