It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
How much T4 and T3 in Armour

Hello! Midwest, I'd appreciate a little help here...

Exactly how much T4 and T3 is in Armour? I'm a bit confused because in the conversion chart on the Armour Website 1 grain = 100 mcg T4 and some number of T3.

I was originally on 125 mcg of levoxyl - just to be safe, my doctor started by on 1 grain rather than 1-1/2 grains based on the same chart.

I was reviewing old strings (as I always do to further my education) and someone wrote that 1 grain = only 38 mcg T4 and some number of T3.

confused...help!

Scalp is better, hair loss still there but better, but what a waist I'm forming...yikes!!!! Now that I'm seeing signs of improvement (MUCH more energy today and yesterday after bad Sat okay Sun), and I've tolerated at least 60 mcgs well for about 6 weeks (even after an "OD" on 90), I'm thinking of titrating up 1/4 grain again..just a bit nervous...

Regards to all who take the time to read this - much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: How much T4 and T3 in Armour

Each grain (60 mgs) of Armour contains 38 mcgs of T4 and 9 mcgs of T3. T3 is 4 times more potent than T4, so the T3 within that one grain is as potent as 36 mcgs of T4. In the one grain of Armour, the 38 mcgs of actual T4 plus the T3 which is as potent as 36 mcgs of T4 is roughly equal in total to 74 - 100 mcgs of T4-only med.

Why do I say "roughly equal"? Because there are differences from patient to patient in the way the med is absorbed and converted from T4 to T3. In an ideal world, where the patient perfectly converts just the right amount of T4 to T3, and where the receptors on each cell completely absorb all the hormone available floating in the blood stream, it could be said that the 1 grain equals exactly 100 mcgs of T4. But the world isn't perfect, and the conversion/cell reception conditions rarely occur in absolute perfectionism. Almost everyone - women especially - have some degree of conversion and/or absorption difficulty. So it's more precise to say the 1 grain is equivalent to somewhere between 74 and 100.

Hope that didn't confuse you even more.

Last edited by midwest1; 12-05-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread