It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User
Question New to this board...just got diagnosed with HYPOthyroid

Hello ~

I'm brand new to this board. I used to be on the TTC (Trying to Conceive) board when I just recently found out that I have hypothyroid. First, let me start by saying, I know absolutely nothing about the disease yet, so please bare with me for my ignorance of the subject. (This will change, because I want to know all I can, so that I can start to feel good again.)

My story is this. Last summer (2005) I went in to my doctor's office to get a physical, because my husband and I wanted to have a baby. (I already have a 10-year-old boy from a previous marriage). We wanted to make sure I was healthy to have a baby. I was 33. My doctor noticed at that physical that my thyroid seemed to be a little large, so she did some blood work on me and it all aparently came back just fine. I don't know the actual details of the blood work, just that my doctor said my thyroid looked good and I should have no problems with conceiving or pregnancy. I got pregnant after a few months, and now have a healty baby girl. I delivered her prematurely at 35 weeks at the end of this past May.

Everything seemed to be going well. I couldn't wait for my 6-week hiatus from anything physical to pass, so that I could start exercising and get into shape. I've been pretty tired ever since giving birth, but thought nothing of it, since having a new baby for anyone is an adjustment, and I was breastfeeding as well, so that can be tiring too.

I joined a gym in August of this year, I was doing so well, I'd get up, take my baby with me, they had a daycare right there at the gym, and I'd work out for about an hour and a half, 5 days a week. I lost 20 pounds the first 5 weeks. Then suddenly, drastically, it all changed... I started feeling real sluggish, no energy, all I wanted to do was sleep, I could barely get up to go to the gym, and eventually stopped all together, because I noticed I was also putting weight on, which I couldn't understand, because I didn't change anything in the way that I eat, and I was exercising so much. I was very discouraged, and worst of all, I could barely keep up with my sweet baby when she wasn't napping. I became intensely depressed, due to the sudden weight gain, and couldn't seem to function physically or mentally. It literally got that bad. My relationship with my husband as well as my 10-year-old, began to suffer, due to my inability to basically cope with just the simplest of things. I mean here I am, an at-home-mom, and I could not function. I had symptoms of pains in my abdomen as well, and ached all over.

Recently, I had an opportunity to travel out of state for a family wedding. I didn't want to go, and leave my new baby (she's now 6 month's old) not only that, but I didn't think I could make it physically. I've been so exhausted, but my husband encoraged me, thinking I could use the break, and it might do me some good. So, I agreed to go, and I needed to find a something nice to wear to this wedding. I didn't have a thing, because I had been putting on the weight. As I was at the store trying on clothes is when I noticed my neck seemed quite swollen. I thought to myself, man I am disgusting, I've put on so much weight, it's showing alot in my neck. I was totally embarassed how I must look to people. But, I pushed it aside, and tried to go on, and I found an outfit I liked. I went to the wedding, and was so exhausted the whole time, I couldn't figure out what my problem was. I am one pathetic lazy loser.....

When I came back home, a couple days later, I developed a sinus infection, I went to the doctors to get some antibiotics, and she noticed my neck right away. I said I told her I noticed it too, and she said, I have the start of a goiter, and she wants to take some tests. First, I did the blood work. I have an ultrasound scheduled for this comig week on my thyroid/goiter. This past friday, my doctor called me back with the results, but she had to leave me a message on my machine stating that I am VERY HYPOthyroid, and she was calling in a prescription of Synthroid right away for me to start over the weekend.

She put me on 0.075MG (75mcg) of Levothyroxine, once a day in the a.m. Unfortunately, she doesn't come back into work until tomorrow (TUES.) so, I haven't been able to talk to her directly about my tests, and what kind of results I really had.... how bad do I have this and what not..... My ultrasound is scheduled for Wed. 12/13/06, and I plan to hear from her then so that we can discuss what I'm looking at for my future.

Needless to say I'm very frustrated.... will my goiter go away on it's own??? will I be better again???? will I be able to have another child, my husband and I want one more. Is the dosage of Levothyroxine strong for someone like me who just got diagnosed???

Does anyone out there who was brave enough to have read this ridiculously long pity-story have any advice for me???? Especially, questions I should be asking my doctor???

I'm so sorry this is so long...a million thanks to anyone who dared read it, and offers advice, it's much appreciated.

One other note...my doctor did tell me that this was probably brought on due to my recently having a baby. Apparently, the pregnancy hormone can cause this for some women.

Zuzu

Last edited by Zuzu's Petals; 12-11-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User
Re: New to this board...just got diagnosed with HYPOthyroid

Hello again...sorry to be a pest, but won't someone out there respond???

Zuzu

Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Hi,

I am by no means one of the experts on this board but since nobody else is responding I'll give it a shot.

Yes, I've heard of alot of women becoming hypo after giving birth, whether or not you will have to be on meds for life, I'm not sure. Another thing that was against you was the rapid weight loss, that in itself will sometimes mess with the thyroid as it will go into hybernation mode to conserve as it senses your body is not getting enough nutrients to survive. I experienced it myself back in 2000 from a stupid diet but didn't recognize it had done something to my thyroid at the time.

I now know that incident caused my thyroid to become somewhat "sluggish" and then the trauma of my Dad's sudden death in late 2001 pretty well completely did my thyroid in at that point. I had every symptom in the book but tested "normal" so went without needed meds for three years which pretty well caused me to completly lose my health. Am much better now, but has been a long and difficult road.

If you are not already having hair loss from the hypo you may go through some intial shedding as your body is getting adjusted on meds. Some people have continued loss on Synthroid and eventually end up changing to a T3/T4 med such as Armour. But then again, many do just fine on it, we are all very individual beings and have to find out what it right for us.

I think that once you get your levels stable you should be able to conceive again but that is a defintely a question for your doc. Things do get better once you find your correct dose but it can take a pretty long time with a lot of ups and downs so be prepared. We call it the thyroid roller coaster here and it was without a doubt the worst roller coaster ride I've ever taken!!

I would write down any questions you have for your doc and have them in front of you so you don't forget an important one. Also, get a copy of your labs and post the results and ranges here and someone will be able to help you.

We have some great "pros" on this board that I'm sure will be glad to assist you. Good luck.

Deb

Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi... Welcome to the board. Please don't be offended you didn't get an immediate response. It's been slow here for a few days. Guess everyone's busy with holiday prep.

Post partum is a common time for thyroid trouble to rear its head. Some experts think it has to do with estrogen surge or that the immune response goes awry during the time the body lowers it in order not to reject the fetus. No one really knows for sure.

The first thing you can do that will be really valuable is to read Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin in order to understand the condition and all the terminology that goes with it. An educated thyroid patient always does better in treatment than one who isn't.

It's interesting that you had a premature delivery. Low thyroid and/or thyroid antibodies can cause that. That's not to say it did in your case, but it might have. Your low thyroid should not be a barrier to having another healthy pregnancy as long as your TSH level stays no higher than 1.5 or so and your FT4 level stays in the upper part of its range. Beware of an MD who pooh-poohs this... It's documented by reputable studies.

Your gland has enlarged due to its attempt to speed up production of hormone to fill your needs. It will probably shrink once the medicine has raised your T hormone levels enough to ease its burden.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but I'm glad you got a speedy diagnosis. Lots of us have had to fight to get the treatment we need.
Let us know how the tests turn out and what plan your MD has for you, ok?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

Thank you very much Midwest and Deb, I really appreciate your input and kind words. I broke down and cried today after reading alot of these posts, and very scared as to what's possibly in store for me over the next few months as I go thru this. I'll try to find that book that was mentioned, thank you again, and I'll post what I find out from my doctor hopefully after tomorrow's ultrasound, so you guys can maybe tell me what you think.

Take care!!

Zuzu

Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

zu hi kat ere uk,
how do you feel now?? and are they checking your bloods regular as they need to as it can take some ajusting i say this as i have had my fare share of med ajustments lol not trying to scare you just have those bloods done 3 monthly and check your iron levels as hypos can get heavy blood loss monthly!1 alos did you say you have hashis hi again i did talk to you on the hairloss one love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Old 12-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

pursie ~ So far the only blood drawn from me was last week to test my thyroid. I don't know any of the actual numbers from the results other than that my doc called me back and left me a message that I am VERY hypothyroid, and she want's me to start ASAP on the Synthroid. Her nurse called me today to tell me my doctor want's me to schedule an appt. me to see her in 3 weeks, I told her that I have the ultrasound scheduled for my goiter/thyroid tomorrow, and she said then my doctor will call me back after she sees the results of that. I said good, because I need to talk to her before 3 weeks from now. That's too long. I'm a mess, and I want answers and more info from them, you know? My periods since they started coming back after my baby was born 6 months ago, (I've had 4 so far) and they have been horribly bad, meaning the blood flow the first 3 days has kept me from leaving my house. I bleed out so bad, I have to change my pad every hour for the first 3 days. This has probably been going on since then, which would be about 4 months. I feel absolutely miserable, I'm barely able to take care of my baby or myself during the day. I've turned into the complete opposite of the person I once was prior to all this. I've become a recluse, and it's worrying my husband. I'm very worried about this goiter too, since I came on so fast....is that normal for it to grow the whole width of my neck in probably about 2 months???? maybe less??? it's painful sometimes and when I lay down at night I feel like my throat is closing in on me. I'm really scared. Could I get cancer???

Zuzu

Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi Zu Zu;

I was first diagnosed with hypothyroism in June of this year.

Once I studied up on the interesting little organ (thyroid) was flabbergasted at how important it is to keeping us in balance. Helped me to understand why I had been feeling so out of it for about 3 years.

Mine became so slow it forced me to get to the doctor. My tsh was at 11.93 when first diagnosed and I was almost on all fours by time I got to a doc. Once diagnosed and put on the hormone synthroid it took me about 4-6 wks. to get balanced good. Everyone is different but that is the average length of time it takes. However, I felt immediate relief as soon as I got on my thyroid hormone.

I don't think of it as a disease as much as just a condition. Come to find out it runs in our family just about every woman has it including my Mom who is 85 and was diagnosed in her 50's and my sister. They've done great by just taking synthoid and so far so am I.

Please don't let the initial shock of being diagnosed with this condition scare you too much. It is very very treatable and extremely common in women of all ages.

Good luck

Old 12-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The condition is so common that if you ask enough people you know, you'll be surprised how many of them that you never thought of as "sick" are being treated. After I started treatment, I reported it to my dentist's receptionist so that the new med could be entered into my chart. She said, "Oh, I have that. I was diagnosed years ago." When I had my last cleaning with a new hygienist, she saw Armour thyroid in my chart and said, "I'm hypothyroid too... been taking Synthroid for years."

That's how normal you'll be once you get stabilized, so normal no one would guess you have a chronic illness. That can take a while... won't be a fast fix... so you need patience. But you'll get there!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

bless you zu my heart goes out to you, this should be a special time for you i dont know what to say , but you must get iron asap for the blood loss your hair will get worse if you dont , my blood loss went on for 4 years before going to gp so get them to test your ferritin , and get some drugs to stem the blood loss while you decide what action to take to stop it being heavy are you on the pill injection??? also you really need some thyroid meds asap and then you can enjoy your lovely baby a bit more lots of love from your thyroid buddie kat ill talk anytime i had theese things you have love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxps is it a boy or girl they are so cute at that age , i have 3 kids all under 10 i relate xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 12-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
The condition is so common that if you ask enough people you know, you'll be surprised how many of them that you never thought of as "sick" are being treated. After I started treatment, I reported it to my dentist's receptionist so that the new med could be entered into my chart. She said, "Oh, I have that. I was diagnosed years ago." When I had my last cleaning with a new hygienist, she saw Armour thyroid in my chart and said, "I'm hypothyroid too... been taking Synthroid for years."

That's how normal you'll be once you get stabilized, so normal no one would guess you have a chronic illness. That can take a while... won't be a fast fix... so you need patience. But you'll get there!
Lol midwest1 ~ exact samething happened to me.

While in for cleaning at the dentist, told the hygienist about my diagnosis so she could update my meds on her chart also and low and behold she had samething and had since she was 10 years old. She is only 26 now.

Amazing how many people have this condition but you don't know until you tell them about yours.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 12-13-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Same here!

When I was getting my bloods done the other week the woman taking it asked why my dosage was as she was also Hypo! You'd never have known to look at her. She always looks like shes bursting with energy! :-)

Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Cool Re: New to this board...just got diagnosed with HYPOthyroid

Hi
Many women become hypo after child birth. The more I talk about my hypo-thy issues, the more people I find who are also aflicted with it.

Some goiters/nodules can be reduced with medicine, while others need to be removed. My goiter was "watched" after a needle biopsy came back clean. Had ultrasounds done every 6 months. When it doubled in size my endo wanted it out. That was last year. I'm still in the process of leveling my Thy meds. Finding a Doctor who LISTENS is key

take care,
Sue

Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

Thank you all who responded. I really appreciate your input, and your encouragement. I still haven't heard back from my doctor yet in regards to my ultra sound on my goiter.... the radiologist mentioned it may take up to 48 hours before they get the results to my doctor. I just hope she calls me before the weekend.

I've been on the medication now for almost a week now, I have noticed that my appetite seems almost non-existent now, when I do eat, I'm full right away, meaning I don't often finish my meal. I'm actually starting to drop some weight now, I lost 4 pounds in in 2 days. Is that normal??? I'm currently on 75mcg levothroxine (Synthroid). I mean, I need to lose the weight, I put it on so quickly over the past 6 weeks.

I also, woke up this morning feeling my whole body just ache. It was a heavy ache all over. Is this what you guys feel too on occasion??

Zuzu

Closed Thread