It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

wsue1023 HB User
Limbs falling asleep at night

I've had this weird thing going on for quite some time now and have never asked a doctor about it. Don't ask me why, it just never comes up. Anyway, I just wonder if this is something any of you have experienced.

At night I wake up several times with arms and legs numb and tingling as if the blood has been cut off for many many minutes. I can be laying on my right side and feel my left arm go to sleep. Sometimes it's my hip too. Other times it's the side I am lying on. I always assumed it was something to do with muscles in my back... like maybe I was too tense and needed a good massage, but now wonder if it's something else. Lately It's been getting so bad that it starts before I ever get to sleep and it occurs in any position I sleep in other than flat on my back. My legs, my arms, my hips... very annoying and I find myself flopping around my bed all night trying to get comfortable without depriving my body of blood.

I wonder if this is something that others with hypothyroidism have experienced???? If not, I probably need to talk to my doctor about it.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Re: Limbs falling asleep at night

Yep ~ I've had that from time to time. Like you I always fail to ask doctor about it.

It's been a come and go thing with me since I was diagnosed - areas that NEVER fell asleep before do now. lol

I've had a complete physical and a full blood work up twice this year and my tsh level is fine so I don't worry about it.

Last time I experienced it was couple of months ago for about 2 or 3 wks. Drives ya nuts. Then it goes away. weird.

I've just got to where I quit listening so closely to my body it was driving me batty. In the same respect someone on the board in another post cautioned us all to not "chalk" everything up to thyroid which is good advice.

I just know I'm healthy at the moment and don't worry about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Thanks Barbara for the response. I guess I just want to know that someone else with my condition has experienced this, because lately I'm having all sorts of weird things going on with my body and my imagination is getting the best of me. I'd like to believe that everything I'm feeling is related to my hypo (hashimotos) rather than start to wonder if I'm developing another autoimmune disease. I asked this question about limbs falling asleep at night on an MS forum and had a good handful of people there tell me they had the same thing happening to them at night. Knowing that has messed with me a little.

I'm going to start taking better care of myself... I know that much!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

I get this too - especially the arms and hands. It was worse before I had my TT in September. Now it's once in a while.... I believe it's all tied in with the autoimmune thing - do you have hashi's?

RE; the doctor, I've resorted to carrying a very small wire-bound notebook with me and jotting "symptoms". It really helps when the appointments finally come along...

wishing you a comfortable, full-night's sleep,
birch

Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Yes, I've had Hashi for at least 8 years.
Thanks for sharing! I'm starting to feel a bit better since I've now heard from two of you that you've experienced this.
Do either of you have pins and needles in your hands/feet or tongue from time to time? I've started seeing a neuro for this... a new symptom that started about a month ago.

You know for most of the time I've had hashimotos I felt completely normal while taking meds... now I feel like someone with an autoimmune disease. I wonder if I need to try something else?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I've had it bad in the hands and up my arms - no tongue or feet problems...

GOOD LUCK - and congrats on being so proactive in getting yourself well! I had symptoms like this for years and thought - yep, ignore it, you're just getting old (I'm 41). Now looking back...I know not EVERYTHING's related to thyroid but...d'oh!!

take care and please keep us posted
birch

Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Birch, Have you ever asked your doc if the feelings in your hands and arms are likely related to your known condition? Just curious.
I get frustrated with the doctor I have now because to talk to him you'd almost think that we should be symptom free when at the "right dose". I don't think that's exactly correct.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

oh, yes, I got "no, just quit sleeping wrong" from two previous endos. I haven't asked my current doctor about it probably because of the reaction from the two previous docs. I'll be sure to write it in my notebook and ask.

btw, I'm with my current doctor now because, while he's certainly not perfect, he will consider symptoms even though the labs may be "normal". IM humble O, you may want to consider shopping around for a new doc...

to continue...at the time I was having a REAL problem with it I also had strange rashes everywhere, my hair was falling out in piles, anxiety, etc. - apparently, I was in raging thyroiditis from hashis - I just wasn't diagnosed yet. That's why I believe it autoimmune related. And..as stated in a number of books re: hypo...once you get one autoimmune disease...you're bound to get another. Aren't we lucky???

Are you on a combo med or just T4?

b

Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchtree

Are you on a combo med or just T4?

b
You'll have to exuse my ignorance! I'm not sure what this means, but I'm currently on Synthroid only. Nothing else!

When you're on meds do most of your symptoms completely disappear? I get rashes all the time... seems like there's always some part of my body broken out. I used Temovate for a long time, but now my Derm. won't prescribe it to me... says it's too strong! I don't get it. It's then only thing that's worked and I only used a small amount maybe once a month... usually try to give the rash a chance to clear on it's on or at least wait until it's raging before I treat it with the steroid cream. Once again, I think I need another doc in this area too.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

My dear, you are in the right place - and NEVER apologize for your valuable questions!

We have experts on this board who provide excellent explanations of T4 and T3, but I think I can give you a quick and dirty rundown....

T4 and T3 are produced by the thyroid...your body requires T4 and T3 to properly function. Synthroid is T4 only. When you take T4, you're body (is suppose to) convert an amount of that T4 to T3. It has been found that some people cannot convert T4 to T3. This "malfunction" is usually found through a low result in aTotal T3 or Free T3 blood test.

I'm one of those who have trouble converting - I'm currently taking 125 mcg levoxyl (T4 only) and 5 mcg cytomel (T3 only).

Lack of T3 is known to cause a variety of symptoms, including numbness, muscle aches, etc. My lack of T3 was causing shortness of breath and severe fatigue, not to mention (possibly) contributing to hair loss.

Does you doctor test for blood levels other than TSH?? He/she should be testing for at least TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 (if you can't get Free T3 then at least Total T3).

There are a number of books out there with all of this info - I highly recommend you go check them out. I did and, wow, what an awakening for me.

Again, this is quick and dirty...certainly not complete...hopefully others will chime in and give you more info...

hope this helps! all the best to you...
b

Old 01-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Didn't answer some of your questions...I still have some symptoms but they are getting better. I still have some hair loss, depression, small episodes of shortness of breah. The rashes are gone - but I'm not sure if this is because I got my diseased thyroid out and "stopped" the thyroid antibodies or because I got on the right amount of med - hard to tell - sorry!

b

Old 01-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchtree
My dear, you are in the right place - and NEVER apologize for your valuable questions!

We have experts on this board who provide excellent explanations of T4 and T3, but I think I can give you a quick and dirty rundown....

T4 and T3 are produced by the thyroid...your body requires T4 and T3 to properly function. Synthroid is T4 only. When you take T4, you're body (is suppose to) convert an amount of that T4 to T3. It has been found that some people cannot convert T4 to T3. This "malfunction" is usually found through a low result in aTotal T3 or Free T3 blood test.

I'm one of those who have trouble converting - I'm currently taking 125 mcg levoxyl (T4 only) and 5 mcg cytomel (T3 only).

Lack of T3 is known to cause a variety of symptoms, including numbness, muscle aches, etc. My lack of T3 was causing shortness of breath and severe fatigue, not to mention (possibly) contributing to hair loss.

Does you doctor test for blood levels other than TSH?? He/she should be testing for at least TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 (if you can't get Free T3 then at least Total T3).

There are a number of books out there with all of this info - I highly recommend you go check them out. I did and, wow, what an awakening for me.

Again, this is quick and dirty...certainly not complete...hopefully others will chime in and give you more info...

hope this helps! all the best to you...
b
Did you have to press to get your doctor to check for the Free T3 and Total T3? My doctor only checks Free T4 and TSH... this is what his nurse told me on the phone Friday... my panel of bloodwork on these two factors was within normal range, but I didn't get the numbers from her. When I see my doctor next time I'll ask about Free T3 and Total 3... but now not sure when that will be. Have an appt for Wed, but not sure I'll be able to make it now due to childcare situation. Sigh. I will definitely investigate the T3 since I am experiencing numbness... also pins and needles... not sure if that's significant, but I'll do some research.

Thanks so much for the info! I have a book called The Thyroid Solution that I'm reading now. Seems like a good find. Maybe it will have more info on this particular piece of the puzzle. We'll see.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

i get this to, has thyroxine made this worse this is actually much worse after meds now i know i would love to blame everything on thyroxine but i relly has been worse after meds!!! and is this just hashis people or do hypers get this also that would be interesting to find out love from aktxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

kat,

Being an "atypical" hyper, I've gotten it too. How bout any more typical hypers out there? I've always wondered too.

Helen

Old 01-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hello wsue! My doctor automatically checks for TSH, Free T4 and Total T3. I have asked for Free T3 and they have said, yes we are testing that, only to see that they are actually testing Total T3. I figure I'm doing okay if I can at least get the T3 tested.

Please ask why they don't test for T3. May be time to find a doc who does, and looks at lab numbers and symptoms.

Good luck to all!
b

Closed Thread