It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
UK Paitent Pays Privately For a FreeT3 Test!

Lets start with saying that I saw an Endogologyst in November last year, I asked him how he would feel if he prescribed me with T3 as I was not getting on with the normal Thyroxine - although I was in the so called "normal range". He said that he would not give me a T3 test but prescibed me with the T3 ('Tertroxin') medicine 20 micrograms. I had to take one twice a day, so this mounted up to 40mg per day. After being prescribed the tablets I decided not to take them as I heard from this site that the dose is extremely high - I am only on 75mg of Thyroxine... I chose to go privately and go ahead with having a FreeT3 Test - its like the only way you will have a FreeT3 test in the UK.
Today I recieved the results back from the test though the post; they are as follows:

FreeT3 - 4.8 in a range of 4-7

Would it be possible for anyone to enlighten me as to what these results mean, I am clearly at the bottom end of the spectrum. Is it right that I would feel better at the top end? Also, if I have Adrenal Fatigue (convinced I have this because I have all of the symptoms) would this make the results inconclusive or inaccuarate?
I am going to see my Endo on the 12th of this month. I know he said that if I didn't get on with this T3 he would think about prescribing me Armour, but of course I have not taken the T3 in the first place - what is he going to think?
What would be the lowest amount of T3 I could start taking if I took 75mg of Thyroxine. The Doc said I should only take 25mg of Thyroxine whilst taking 2 x 20mg of T3 each day - would this not be wrong? Somebody please help!

I had never had an adrenal test so I pushed for that he then gave me the test for the 9 O'clock morning one. This came back in the normal test. I am trying to get the 24 hr saliva test, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

If anyone can help.

Mandy X

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: UK Paitent Pays Privately For a FreeT3 Test!

bumping up!!

Can anyone help me understand my free T3 test....thanks...Mandy

Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hello mandy darlin!
can anyone help!mandy could use some well researched advice so midwest , almhar ??? brans nana ????? all the endos around sorry for refering to you as endos dirty word and all but i guess you are our helplines i know i will have forgotton someone there who has given me great advice so sorry to you,
so over here please asap lol love from kat
ANYONE????????

Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

by the way mandy you t3 is on the low side you have suffered variouse ill symptoms and you really havent been right on the thyroxine only diet youre a real star i can imagine you having a couple of jars round the piano and singing knees up mother brown!! i think you deserve to have a bit of the old you back what a great oppurchunity and it was good of the endo to let you try theese, i just think the road of caution should be taken as its much more potent and the smallest amounts built up over time for you just mo
does anyone know how to do this and how much should m drop of the t4 and advice on the t3 t4 mixture would be really appreciated love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx i think he should have tested the t3 in first place to give it you what if it was to high and also should leiase with your docs for regular bloods love to yoy mmxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 01-04-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD MAZ
Lets start with saying that I saw an Endogologyst in November last year, I asked him how he would feel if he prescribed me with T3 as I was not getting on with the normal Thyroxine - although I was in the so called "normal range". He said that he would not give me a T3 test but prescibed me with the T3 ('Tertroxin') medicine 20 micrograms. I had to take one twice a day, so this mounted up to 40mg per day. After being prescribed the tablets I decided not to take them as I heard from this site that the dose is extremely high - I am only on 75mg of Thyroxine... I chose to go privately and go ahead with having a FreeT3 Test - its like the only way you will have a FreeT3 test in the UK.
Today I recieved the results back from the test though the post; they are as follows:

FreeT3 - 4.8 in a range of 4-7

Would it be possible for anyone to enlighten me as to what these results mean, I am clearly at the bottom end of the spectrum. Is it right that I would feel better at the top end? Also, if I have Adrenal Fatigue (convinced I have this because I have all of the symptoms) would this make the results inconclusive or inaccuarate?
I am going to see my Endo on the 12th of this month. I know he said that if I didn't get on with this T3 he would think about prescribing me Armour, but of course I have not taken the T3 in the first place - what is he going to think?
What would be the lowest amount of T3 I could start taking if I took 75mg of Thyroxine. The Doc said I should only take 25mg of Thyroxine whilst taking 2 x 20mg of T3 each day - would this not be wrong? Somebody please help!

I had never had an adrenal test so I pushed for that he then gave me the test for the 9 O'clock morning one. This came back in the normal test. I am trying to get the 24 hr saliva test, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

If anyone can help.

Mandy X
hi!! Im not good with dosing or anything, but the amount your dr is wanting you to take does seem like a hefty portion..
Maybe you could stay on your 75 mcgs of thyroxine and start out by halfing the t3 into fours.. So each little half would only be like 5 mgs..then you could take 5 mgs in the morning and another 5mg in the afternoon.. You could try that route..Just to see how you feel.. " shrug shoulders" I hope this wasnt too confusing b/c I think I confused mysellf.. Trying to explain the dosage..lol
Maybe someone with more experience will add a comment to this..

Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
... I am going to see my Endo on the 12th of this month. I know he said that if I didn't get on with this T3 he would think about prescribing me Armour, but of course I have not taken the T3 in the first place - what is he going to think?

Hi Mandy ... I'm truly sorry you aren't feeling well yet. I sincerely hope you find the answers soon.

I can't help being puzzled when I read a post like yours, however. I hear you saying (and I've heard others say similar) you aren't willing to take what your doctor prescribed. It seems you don't trust him to prescribe correctly for you, but then you ask people you don't know on a website for advice you don't trust the endo to give?

Please don't take this as intended offense. It isn't. I'm just having trouble understanding that line of thinking which I have seen here many times before.

Last edited by ErinBeth; 01-04-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Erinbeth,

I really do understand what you are saying too. The reason why I have this lack of trust with my Endo is because with no offence to the doc, but I seriously do not think that Endo's in the UK know alot about the Thyroid condition, their knowledge presides in Diabetes usually this is evident in discussion with them, I tell them things to do with the Thyroid that they even do not know, if this is the case can I really trust his judgement on the doses?

We do not have a choice in the UK whether we can change Endo's I was lucky to see one in the first place, so for example if I wanted to change Endo's it would be hard, that I am afraid is the NHS.

Truely you lot in the US are more alert and aware with regards to Hypothyroidism / Hyper this is because 1) it is more common (in that you have more people statistically) 2) the Endo's are more educated in T3 and T4 and testing for FreeT3 as well as adrenals. My own family doctor hadn't even heard of a FreeT3 test, can you believe that?

As you can see this is why I was anxious about taking the amount of T3 that I was prescribed. When I first was prescribed this amount I posted it on this site and some extremely knowledgeable people from the USA posted that it was too high... I am still not sure of the maths involved in converted.
Some of thse people are still on this site and others have gone.

Thanks to you all that have helped. So does anyone know where my FreeT3 should sit comfortably? 4.8 in a range of 4-7?

Thanks Mandy.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hello Mandy! I'm so sorry I missed your post until now, and sorry too that you haven't found the right med and dose to feel well yet.

Forty mcgs of T3 is the rough equivalent of 160 mcgs of thyroxine (T4). So you're right to question that dose, given that you now take only 75 mcgs T4. If you were to take 25 mcgs of T4 along with the 40 mcgs T3, you'd be getting the same as 185 mcgs of T4... quite a hefty dose, more than is an average replacement dose for most people.

Your free T3 is rather low, but that range is narrow, so I don't think 4.8 looks really horrible. The exact middle of that range is 5.5. That might be a good target number to aim for. A "good" number is individual, so it's really hard to say what would be right for you. You have to learn that for yourself. My own FT3 is about 65-70% of its range at any given time. On your range, that would be 5.95 to 6.1. I feel well there, but you might not. You clearly could use a bit extra T3, but IMO, 40 mcgs per day might well be way too much. I personally wouldn't be comfortable taking more than 10 per day to start off with, and I probably would want to reduce the T4 to about 50, unless that level is very low in its range as well.

I'm not familiar enough with adrenal fatigue to comment on that, except to say it makes adjustment to thyroid hormone very difficult. I don't think it affects thyroid tests, but I'm not sure.

Good luck, Mandy! I hope 2007 will bring you better health than you've had lately.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi mandy its me!
not long till the endo hun im guessing you wont do anything till then , spose you will just have to work through it with him ????
see what he says and he might even throw a few t3 test your way if your lucks really in lol cant really beleive giving the t3 then no follow up tests????
btw i would feel the same if i was in your shoes ive just had to reduce down off the levo and ive been a right baby boo hoo!!!!
hate all this thyroid maddness we could defo call it that! and let the world beware being treated for thyroid in thre uk is really something else you really have to experience it first hand then kind off take everyones opinions into the picture and really we have to fill in the blank spaces of the puzzle with our own common sense and alot of help of here and weigh it all up????? its tough
good job we have this board or if we did take all the docs advice on face value we could have ended up in some really bad difficulties god bless you mand and good luck love from me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxps way to go also as it is difficult to get it for some of us out here and this could be you getting much betterxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 01-05-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: UK Paitent Pays Privately For a FreeT3 Test! Midwest and others

I personally thank you greatly Pursie for all the kind and loving help you have given me lately you have been there with me all the way giving great support that I need to go on.

And thank-you for your knowledgable advice Midwest1 I have not seen you on this bored for some time - maybe I have just missed you, but it is great to recieve a post like that from an old-timer like yourself. I just knew that his dose seemed to high to be correct, I mean to say if I had taken it I would be stark-raving crazy by now.

I am taking into account all of your calculations and comments Midwest and feel that I will start with taking two X 5mcgs per day (10mcgs) I am going to consult the Endo about this when I next see him, and will also be having talk about him trying to overdose me.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I personally thank you greatly Pursie for all the kind and loving help you have given me lately you have been there with me all the way giving great support that I need to go on.

And thank-you for your knowledgable advice Midwest1 I have not seen you on this bored for some time - maybe I have just missed you, but it is great to recieve a post like that from an old-timer like yourself. I just knew that his dose seemed to high to be correct, I mean to say if I had taken it I would be stark-raving crazy by now.

I am taking into account all of your calculations and comments Midwest and feel that I will start with taking two X 5mcgs per day (10mcgs) I am going to consult the Endo about this when I next seeI personally thank you greatly Pursie for all the kind and loving help you have given me lately you have been there with me all the way giving great support that I need to go on.

I am taking into account all of your calculations and comments Midwest and feel that I will start with taking two X 5mcgs per day (10mcgs) I am going to consult the Endo about this when I next see him, and will also be having talk about him trying to overdose me.

Also a thank you goes out to Lucky Charms with your comment similar to that of Midewest's about taking 10mcgs daily.

ErinBeth I hope I find the answer too.

Thank you all for your help - goo to see you Midwest

*and all the best for 2007 to you too*

Take care Mandy

Old 01-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

Quote:

oh s*** mand beware he might get ar*** y lol sorry its not funny i know but got to keep that english sense of humour huh we so love about youxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx

Closed Thread