It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
Symptoms of high TSH and hypothyroidism

Would anyone mind giving me a full list (to your knowledge) of symptoms of hypothyroidism or high TSH levels?

These are the symptoms I am experiencing with a TSH level of 5.6... just wondering if my symptoms are due to my thyroid or something else. My doctors have yet to come up with a solution.

-dizziness/off-balance feeling when moving around
-vertigo (occurred during sleep)
-low blood pressure
-acid reflux with heartburn and stomach aches
-occasional headaches
-nausea
-loss of appetite (I eat because I have to, not because I want to!)
-anxiety -- not sure if this is due to not feeling well or something else... I basically have muscle tension in my legs, pace sometimes, and feel uneasy in public places. This feeling comes and goes, some days I'm completely fine.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Last edited by alwayshotroddin; 01-02-2007 at 05:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to alwayshotroddin For This Useful Post:
RBasil (06-21-2012)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: Symptoms of high TSH and hypothyroidism

Hi there! I have all of the same symptoms as you, except for the low blood pressure. My heart rate and blood pressure are actually all over the place. One minute my heart will be very slow, and the next very fast. Trust me, I'm a mess.

My TSH has always been normal. They keep telling me that all of my problems are anxiety, but I have been to a couple of therapists that tell me I have a physiological problem that is CAUSING my anxiety. My unsteadiness/off balance feeling and nausea has been so bad the past week or so. I just decided to come on the thyroid board to see if anyone else feels as bad as I do all the time. I am convinced that my problems are either thyroid related or hormone related, but I can't get a doctor to take me seriously. I have thyroid nodules, but since they're not cancerous my doctor just ignores them. I have PCOS also, so I know my hormones are not right. I don't know what to do any more. I am so sick and tired of feeling like total crap all of the time. I have gained so much weight in the last couple of months I can't even fit into any of my clothes anymore. And I started going to the gym and eating better too. Nothing is helping. But the off balance feeling is the worst! I hate this.

Sorry I can't help you, but I just wanted to let you know that I have the same symptoms as you and I know how you feel. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

If you're TSH is over a 2 or 3 you're not going to feel good... that's been my experience. You should be treated for your hypo and until you do you'll likely feel miserable or at least less than healthy.

Some of the symptoms you're describing can be completely explained away by anxiety, which can be a problem, because if something else is going on the doctor usually wants to blame it all on stress. I know that anxiety/stress can cause all sorts of symptoms and it can destroy your health all by itself. The source of your anxiety is most likely equally from the hypo condition and from other causes... like how you cope with things. When you're thyroid is out of wack it totally changes how you cope with life... the level of patients you have, how emotional you get... it's a challenge.

So, are you being treated? If you're not, find another doctor! Your TSH being over 5 is outside of normal ranges. It's not good for your health or your emotional well being to go untreated.

I wish you well.
Wendy

Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Leela,

I know how bad you feel. :-\ It's not a good feeling at all and what makes it worse is that doctors either don't understand or don't care enough to try and understand. My anxiety is extremely bad too.. and what is frusterating is that one day I'll be fine and the next I'll feel horrible. I thought about seeing a therapist for anxiety also but I'm determined that there is something in fact wrong with me (whether it's my thyroid, inner ear, or something else) and I know that my anxiety is caused by me not feeling well. It all started after I realized that my doctors didn't know what was wrong. I'm afraid if I see a therapist that they will just prescribe me some kind of anti-anxiety meds that won't solve the problem. I wish you the best and let me know if you start to feel better or find out what is wrong! I'm getting blood work back today to let me know if my TSH levels are still elevated. I think I'm going to see an endocrinologist and not my primary physician before I take medication. Vertigo and dizziness is such a scary feeling because you can't control it and when it's accompanied by nausea it just makes it that much worse. Good luck to you!

Kecia

Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Sue,

I was on Synthroid 50 mcg for 2 days but I quit taking it because I had a bad vertigo spell in the middle of the night which led my ENT doctor to believe that it wasn't my thyroid and was in fact an inner ear disorder. But, I have yet to feel better and in fact I feel worse now (after 2 months of dealing with this). My anxiety is very bad but it's because I'm having a hard time dealing with not feeling good. My stomach hurts when I eat and I'm nauseated all the time. I know the anxiety makes things worse but for whatever reason I have a hard time controlling it. When I get in public places I get this feeling like I'm going to freak out and eventually just end up in tears. It makes me feel like I'm depressed and it's so frusterating because I'm usually a very rational person and don't have these problems. They all started after I started feeling dizzy and off-balance.

It's very possible it might be my thyroid. As soon as I know that my TSH levels are still elevated I think I'm going to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. I hate feeling this way. I did in fact take a leave of absence from work about a month ago because my work is very stressful but I'm also a graduate student in college which is stressful also. The past 3 weeks I have not been in school because of Xmas break and no work also. So, I basically sit around all day and watch TV and read books (I also run) but no matter what I do I still feel the same way. That makes me want to believe it's not stress-induced and in fact there is something else wrong.

I'll keep you all updated. If it does in fact turn out to be my thyroid hormone I would love to help other people feel better. This has not been a fun 2 months!! Take care.

Kecia

Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
(female)

tanyacook13 HB User

Hello, I feel for all of you dealing with this, or trying to. I have been dealing with hypo.symptoms for 2 years, and was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's in Aug. So after having thyroiditis for 8 weeks, I then went back to hypo. I also tend to get nausious, anxious, irritable( very!), depressed etc. and I find it very difficult to live a "normal" life.

I wish I could be more encouraging, but hang in there, and find a doctor who will listen! I keep telling myself it is just anothet bump in the road!

Tanya

Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
(female)

VillageLass HB User

Hi all,
Why are doctors not up-to-date with treating our problems? I'm in England and have only recently been diagnosed with hypo @ 4.8
I was given 25mcg daily dose of levothyroxine and have been told on here that this is a useless dose as 50mcg should be the lowest dose amount. I feel I am getting more and mor symptoms as the days go by.
Thyroid problems are quite common in women so what aren't we tested properly and diagnosed correctly and given the appropriate dose???
Being a school teacher, I need enegy levels 'above the call of duty' - one needs to perform in the classroom but, when you've got a class of 30+ lively kids [and I currently teach aged 13-16] I can't do it feeling like I do. I am totally NOT in charge of my body and, at times, it makes me feel stressed - in fact, my blood pressure is up and I'm now on 2mg coversyl each day. I've gone from NO medication at all to two forms of tablets - both since October.
I feel I'm falling apart - and I'm really unhappy about this.
Thank God we can talk to someone and share our feelings with similar health problems on these mesage boards [thanks to whoever set it up]
Keep posting - it's good to feel I'm not alone . . .
Love to all,
VillageLass

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
(female)

Zilct HB User

Hi,
Well, last week my TSH was 104. I am not currently medicated, per my PCP, and waiting until tomorrow for an Endo apt. I expect to go back on Synthroid. Last dose was 100mcg.

Symptoms: insomnia and bad sleep when I do sleep
brain fog
muscle aches, esp my back right now
headaches
exhaustion
dry skin
face swelling
low blood pressure
freezing constantly

Liz

Last edited by Zilct; 01-03-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLass
Hi all,
Why are doctors not up-to-date with treating our problems? I'm in England and have only recently been diagnosed with hypo @ 4.8
I was given 25mcg daily dose of levothyroxine and have been told on here that this is a useless dose as 50mcg should be the lowest dose amount. I feel I am getting more and mor symptoms as the days go by.
Thyroid problems are quite common in women so what aren't we tested properly and diagnosed correctly and given the appropriate dose???
Being a school teacher, I need enegy levels 'above the call of duty' - one needs to perform in the classroom but, when you've got a class of 30+ lively kids [and I currently teach aged 13-16] I can't do it feeling like I do. I am totally NOT in charge of my body and, at times, it makes me feel stressed - in fact, my blood pressure is up and I'm now on 2mg coversyl each day. I've gone from NO medication at all to two forms of tablets - both since October.
I feel I'm falling apart - and I'm really unhappy about this.
Thank God we can talk to someone and share our feelings with similar health problems on these mesage boards [thanks to whoever set it up]
Keep posting - it's good to feel I'm not alone . . .
Love to all,
VillageLass
A gal I work with that used to be in the nursing field told me that doctor's have to be extremely careful prescibing dosages for thyroid medications because it is very easy to over prescribe and put the patient's life in danger. According to her the biggest contributing factor to the death of someone that had thyroid disease was over dosage. Meaning, that they were prescribed too high a dosage. According to her she lost a sister due over dosage of thyroid medication. The dosage was too strong.

Doctor's have to be able to justify the dosage they prescribe and they only have the blood results to support their decision. If they patient's blood work is showing them in the normal range and the doctor puts them on medication even though they have all the symptoms they risk their license/practice and the patient's life. My sister suffered with all the symptoms (severely suffered) for 1 1/2 years before and endo finally very reluctantly put her on .75mg of levothyroxine. Her blood work showed her in normal range but she was very hypo. She's been on it for a year now and is doing great. The medical community is afraid.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 01-03-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
(female)

VillageLass HB User

Gosh - it sounds very 'hit and miss' with diagnosis and treatment.
I can now understand why I am on a low dosage for the moment [but maybe too low on 25mcg].

After reading many postings on here, I can estimate it could be a looooong process before I get the right amount to start feeling the benefits of the medication.

How does everyone cope with full-time work when they are feeling so rough?

VillageLass

Closed Thread