It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

Jenny C. HB User
Question, About Thyroid Medication, And High Blood Pressure Medication, Interacting..

Hi Everybody,

I will make this quick...I just was reading on this board several different posts, about how beta blockers, can interact with thyroid meds??

I am ALL new too thyroid meds, and basically everything with thyroids.
I was just wondering...Is it safe to take levothyroxine, and atenenol, and Maxide all together??

I have just recently been perscribed levothyroxine...25 mcg, and I take atenenol(can't spell)..It's a beta blocker..along with my maxide, water pill..for my blood pressure.

I was reading, that levothyroxine, can damage the heart...well is this true??
What has me worried, is if levothyroxine, speeds up the heart, and then atenenol, slows the heart rate...How can this be good on the heart?? Two medications, working on the heart, in different ways.

Should I call my Pcp and see if he should take me off of the beta blocker, and use another blood pressure medication?

You guys are all so knowledgeable, I thought I would ask you...Like I said, this is ALL NEW to me...I am soo clueless when it comes to the thyroid..I have alot to learn.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Re: Question, About Thyroid Medication, And High Blood Pressure Medication, Interacting..

I take .50mcgs levothyroxine and felodapine for my hbp which is a calcium channel blocker.

I've not read anything about levothyroxine doing damage to your heart. It is the generic version of synthroid - my Mom has been on it for 30 years and she's still going strong - she's 84.

I know you aren't suppose to eat anything or take other meds 1 1/2 hrs. before or after taking levothyroxine. I don't eat the number of hrs. that it says not to but I do take my blood pressure medicine at the same time. Hasn't seem to cause a problem. A guy I work with does the very same thing. Takes his levothyroxine and bp med at same time.

Your not really getting speeded up too much on only .25mcg. I think your concern is valid. I would question your doctor about it and also inquire about being prescribed another bp med.

Good luck

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 01-04-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question, About Thyroid Medication, And High Blood Pressure Medication, Interacting..

I'm sure the drugs don't interact in an unsafe way. My main concern would be whether your hypothyroidism is causing your HBP and water retention. If it is, when it's treated optimally, those problems will resolve without further treatment.

You see, when hypoT is severe enough, it slows the heart, causing fluid buildup. If a beta blocker is given that is known to slow the heart even further, big trouble can ensue. The prescribing information for beta blockers contraindicates it use with hypothyroidism. If it turns out you still need a drug for HBP, it should be one of the other types.

A talk with your MD is in order.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Thanks Ladies, for the advice.

Midwest, I have a question for you...IF you don't mind...I just hung up with the Dr. office, the nurse said, that the Dr. said, it would actually help me, with being on both meds..because my heart rate is always soo low..everytime, they check me it's in the 60 range, so she said, he said the levothyroxine, will possibly help me, because it will pick my heart rate up??
Here is my question...I NEVER had high blood pressure until after I had last baby...my blood pressure, was always normally extremely low...to where they would always question, why I ran soo low..but my dad has very low blood pressure, so they would write it off, as it being hereditary...then out of no where, I went into the dr's one day, and my heart was racing, and pressure was up..he watched me for a year, and it was high, and my pulse was always in the 90's, which for me, was very high.
Since I have got HALF my thyroid out...My pressure is VERY LOW again...and my pulse is VERY, VERY low. I have my own blood pressure cuff here, at home, and sometimes, when I take my pressure it is very low, and my pulse is running, on normal in the 50's, and 60's.
They did a EKG on me, before I had my surgery, and it showed, that my heart was enlarged, I have had MANY, MANY EKG's done in my life, and NEVER has it showed an enlarged heart...Here is my question..Do you think, my thyroid caused my pressure to elevate so quickly like that...Do you think, by me being on this medication..the atenenol..that is slowing my heart rate too much, and is causing damage...which is why it showed it to be enlarged on the EKG??? What I am thinking...IS this medication, is causing my heart rate to be soo low...that it is possibly causing damage. I just don't understand, how my heart could be showing enlargement, when the ONLY thing that changed on me, from the time, I had my last EKG, that was when I had my last baby...was my thyroid tumor, and the atenenol medication...which leads me to think, the medication?? I may be 100% wrong...but tell me what you think...
I asked the DR, that...he thought I was NUTS..but when I read your post, about it indeed can be related...I am really thinking it is...I honestly thinks he needs to give me a different medication, that isn't slowing the heart down soo much..especially with me...since I always have been low my whole life, except for that one year.
Hope you understand my question...and don't think I'm rambling..LOL.

Thanks!
Jenny

Last edited by Jenny C.; 01-05-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

was also told that if you are hypothyroid you should not take betablockers for your high b/p...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

What is the recommended Blood Pressure Medication?? I am seriously thinking about changing PCP.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

I am both hypothyroid and hypertensive. Both my thyroid and my BP were out of control. I switched to a new BP med, Benicar HCL (contains a duiretic), and just had my levoxyl upped to .125. When I first upped my levoxyl, by BP went up. It lasted for about a week, but it seems to have adjusted. In my case, my pulse was already higher so it was touchy getting the levels worked out. It's been 5 weeks and I'm set to check my levels next week. Hopefully my TSH has come down from the 5.3 it was at the last labs.

I recently had an echocardiogram and it indicated a normal, healthy, structurally sound heart but there was a small amount of excess fluid surrounding the pericardium (the fluid around the heart---pericardial effusion). My cardio said this was nothing to worry about, unless the amount of fluid increased. Of course I went home and did some research and saw that hypothyroidism can CAUSE pericardial effusion. At a later visit I mentioned this to my GP, but he doesn't think there is a relationship. What else is new?

Take care of yourself and be persistent. When all is said in done, the number one health care provider you have is yourself!

Last edited by Tamsin; 01-05-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Jenny, I don't pretend to know everything about this; but if I were you, I'd have serious doubts about what that MD knows.

I would be concerned that most of the trouble with fluctuating BP and slow heart rate is being caused fundamentally by the hypothyroidism. Properly treating that would solve these problems. Pericardial effusion - water on the heart - is another symptom of hypothyroidism. I'm not sure if that's what the enlargement of your heart might be, but it's possible.

I'm concerned - just like you - that the two drugs are "fighting" each other, and your heart is losing. HypERthyroid folks are prescribed a beta blocker precisely because it slows the heart and partially blocks the effect of excess thyroid hormone in the cells. Your BB is actually blocking the effect of the levoT you're taking!

If you actually need a BP med (and it sounds as if you may not at this point), there are many types besides beta blockers. Two of the other major classes are the ACE inhibitors and the calcium channel blockers. These wouldn't fight with the levoT.

I don't know your history. Do you have Hashimoto's disease? Was t treated before the surgery? Did you have the lobe removed because of cancer? Is it possible you were hypothyroid for a long time before it was finally diagnosed?

It sounds as if many of your health problems might be stemming from un- or undertreated hypoT. Of course, you've only just started treatment for it. It takes time to build up to an appropriate replacement dose. Just be aware that 25 mcgs is not a true therapeutic dose for anyone. If you aren't given appropriate, periodic dose increases about every 6 weeks until your symptoms are resolved, consider that this MD might not as knowledgable as he could be.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-05-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Something I just thought of and must add...
In case you're considering stopping the beta blocker on your own, Jenny, don't! BP meds have to be safely weaned off of.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Thank You Midwest....I knew you were VERY knowledgable, and you could help me. I've been wondering the same thing, where is Olender?? Well hope all is well!

Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Thank You Midwest....I knew you were VERY knowledgable, and I AM SOO GLAD I asked you...THANK YOU, for sharing your knowledge, and helping me, understand my health.

Here is my history...I will try to keep it short ...I had found a lump on my neck, back in August..what led me to feel my neck, was because I was having difficulties swallowing, I felt like I had a glob of something stuck in my throat...I had thought I had a virus, and it was a lymph node that was swallon... NEVER had any thyroid issues, that I was aware of...anyways, found a lump..had tests ran..found out it was a nodule...Then I had half of my thyroid removed, on Nov. 8, 06..., during the surgery, he removed half of my thyroid, and a lymph node, that was wrapped around the tumor, and also a parathyroid gland...I believe that is what it is called...I guess there are 4 of these glands right behind your thyroid, and he took out one..because he said it was very damaged, from this thing on my thyroid....
Pathologist report came back being, an Oncocytic Hurthle Cell tumor..They told me...that is hadn't spread to my surrounding tissue, or my blood vessels...THANK GOD...It was 2.5 cm, in size when they removed it. They said, the surrounding tissue and the lymph nodes they removed were Benign...but the actual tumor itself..they said it was in cystic changes, so it could not be determined if it were benign or malignant??
I still have my left lobe, the Endro, is going to follow it with sonograms every six months, and if that side gets any nodules, it needs to come out.
They told me, that these tumors, are rare??? That they are less then 5% of all thyroid nodules...So I personally would have felt better if the Endro, would have removed the whole thyroid, but he said, he will follow it closely.
I did my own research online, about these types of tumors, and it was very alarming, some of the sights I came across, and what they said. Every sight I found, said, that these tumors were cancer?? So after me doing my own research, I contacted my Endro..told him everything I had read, and then he told me... that there are TWO different schools of thoughts on those tumors, SOME Dr.s, believe 100%, that they are cancer, but then the other Dr.'s Believe that they are the very last stage of Pre-Cancer cells...He said, the next step would be cancer??? Everything I found on the internet about it..which it was VERY HARD to find stuff...it said, that it is cancer...But who knows...He told me his belief on it,...Is it is Pre-cancer...so he said, since it didn't spread to my surrounding tissue, and to the blood vessels, then I would BE OKAY, to leave the left lobe in...Unless nodules formed on that side...So I personally would have liked it out...but I have to trust these Dr.s, I guess.
Have you ever heard of those tumors?? If so, what have you been told, that they are??
I was actually going to go and get a second opinion on it...but since I have had the surgery, I am finding trouble finding another Dr, that wants to see me..So that is where I am...Then I just started 1 week or so ago...on the levothyroxine...since my blood test showed I was low.
So I am under the Endro's care for that...and then I am under my PCP for my blood pressure.
So it was my PCP I called yesterday, about him giving me another BP medicine.
I have heard from several different people that my PCP, ISN'T good...So I am going to start looking for another one.
I am afraid, though, the atenenol, is affecting my heart.
I do know, that I can't just stop it on my own...So thank you for telling me that too.
That is pretty much everything...I wrote you a book, and I said, I was going to keep it short..

I really would LOVE to hear what you think of all this...I have read some of your posts, with other people, and I REALLY TRUST your judgement...You seem extremely knowledgable...SO THANK YOU for sharing and trying to help me out.

Jenny

Old 01-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry. I know next to nothing about thyroid cancer. I bet Reece could be of help to you on that subject. She probably isn't following this thread. Maybe you'd like to post your cancer questions into a new thread and put her name in the subject line to get her attention.

For what it's worth, the endo seems as if he'll be very conscientious about watching for new nodules, and that's good. From the little I know, the cancer can only arise from nodules, not from normal thyroid tissue. He probably wants to avoid a second surgery. But ultimately, I think your comfort level about leaving that other lobe in should count for something.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
(female)

Jenny C. HB User

Thank You Midwest...I will post a new thread...but I still value your opinion...I think you are a very good support person on this board..So I will let you know what all happens with me.

Thanks Again, for all of your GREAT ADVICE!!

Closed Thread