It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

SRC HB User
Leg/arm tingling and vibrating

Is ANYONE experiencing (best I can describe as) tingling, numbness, vibrating of legs and arms? I've read where paresthesias are a symptom of HYPOTHYROIDISM but I haven't seen much info on this forum. Please help.
thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

VillageLass HB User
Re: Leg/arm tingling and vibrating

Hi SRC,
I sometimes wake up in the night and my hand is numb - I then have to hang it out of bed for the blood to rush down my fingertips.
I have also experienced a tingling feeling in my toes and feet.
I am hypo and put it down to less oxygenated blood due to shallow breathing which is a symptom of hypo.
However, I'm all new to this and there all many brilliant experts on this site who will be able to give you much more info . . .

Love VillageLass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

kwebster HB User

Hi!
DOn't get the vibrating, but the tingling in arms at night, legs in the morning or if I sit wrong. WOrse after I had TT surgery and went hypo. Mine is most likely caused by low calcium. Hypothyroid patients need calcium because the meds can deplete it.

Take Care!
Kathy

Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
(female)

wsue1023 HB User

Are you serious Kathy? No one ever told me that. I've been taking Synthroid for 8 years and never knew that I needed additional calcium. Would have been nice if the doc had mentioned this!

I've been recently having a lot of vibrating and pins and needles in my hands/feet/ entire right leg feels heavy, and I have numbness in my right jaw area. I'm getting ready to undergo a neurological evaluation because they say you shouldn't have these types of symptoms (pins/needles) when you're being medicated for hypo and your bloodwork comes back within normal range. I'm still hoping they're wrong and this is all somehow related to my Hashimoto's (source of my hypo).

Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

kwebster HB User

Yeah, I was told that thyroid meds it can deplete calcium reserves and that you have to supplement with calcium. Blood work coming back as normal is nice but doesn't really help the picture. For instance this weekend my calcium level dropped. It was the low end of normal (according to the lab), but it was a drop for me and I really felt it.

Hope you get things worked out.

take care!
Kathy

Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

SRC HB User

I understood calcium supplementation was only required if your parathyroids were accidentally removed during TT since they're what control calcium levels. I had RAI so parathyroid glands not affected (atleast that was what I was told). Have been taking calcium here and there at night but nothing regular. Will start doing it every night and see if it makes a difference.

Am having a MRI next week but won't find out the results until I see the neurologist the end of February. I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will level out once I get my thyroid hormone levels where they should be.

I see my GP in 2 weeks to check my TSH, Free T4 and Total T3 (they don't do a FREE T3 here). Have had my meds increased twice now since RAI in Sept. and suspect it needs to be done again. Am on Synthroid (used to be on Desiccated before my nodules went haywire and started producing excess hormone). My Internist doesn't want me on "natural" hormone. Will see.

The tingling has been with me when I started to go hyper and has gotten worse since I've become HYPO. Just about driving me mad.

Thanks for everyone's comments

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I've been concentrating on my diet more - was diagnosed hypo. in June 2006 and also as having hbp.

Good sources of calcium are orange juice (of course), baby lima beans, yogurt, and canalope just to mention a few. I'm firm believer in trying to get as much of these nutrients into our bodies through diet as we possibly can.

I was trying to do the pill/supplement route and got so tired of swallowing them and could also literally feel them trying to dissolve and make their way through my digestive tract. ick! No matter what they claim - some of these supplements to not dissolve that easily for all of us. I've tried the dropping them in to water to see how fast they dissolve. I hate pills.

Using cinnamon to lower blood pressure and it really works but that's another board lol.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 01-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Closed Thread