It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Shaky Weak Help!

So I'm on 75mg of armour and have been for a while. But recently like today, i feel really shaky, weak, lightheaded and crappy. I'm trying to find out what is wrong with me.. I know its probably not an intolerance to armour because i've been on it for a long while now and this feeling normally doesn't occur till later after i have taken it. can hypo symptoms be this? the last time i checked my tsh was about 2.01 in a reference range of .1 to 4.00

also, i've had an inner ear problem so i don't know if that's causing it.. tired of all of this.

anybody have any info that would be great.

thanks
scott

p.s. sometimes i notice i feel shaky after eating turkey. does not digesting protein have anything to do with that feeling? ugh..

Last edited by Sco24; 01-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Shaky Weak Help!

Wow that's weird, sounds like hyper symptoms, I sometimes feel "shaky" or heart racy after eating certain foods especially anything too salty, like bacon. Do you think you might need a dosage cut? I know people with hypo have inner ear problems or feel dizzy, hope you're better soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

bran

what you said about the hypo people having inner ear problems, what do you know about that? the reason i ask is because both hit me at the same time, and i always wondered about a correlation between the two. If you could elaborate on that or provide info that would be great.

thanks
scott

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Hi Scott,

The inner ear is chock full of thyroid hormone receptors. Both the cochlea and the vestibule rely on thyroid hormone for proper development in the womb. I've got a feeling it's kind of important after that point too. I've run into too many people who've developed thyroid problems later in life that have problems with their ears.

I'm not real good with the hypo game, being hyper and all, but see if you can't get Midwest's attention on the armour thing. If I recall, males usually have slightly lower TSH levels than females and from what I've read in Midwest's posts, with the armour, you might feel better with a lower TSH than that and they should be going by the free hormone levels, not the TSH. Check with her and see?

Good luck,
Helen

Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Scott,

When you say you get shaky after eating turkey, are you eating the protein alone, or with some good complex carbs? If not, you might try it & see if you get the same reaction. People who tend to be fast metabolizers often experience a weak & shaky reaction when they go on a low-carb diet like South Beach, for example. Taking thyroid meds, esp. those w/T3, increases metabolic rate.

I've had trouble with the shaky-weak feeling in the past w/thyroid meds. For me, it was a sort of hypoglycemia that resulted from taking the meds on an empty stomach. And also in part, I believe, as a result of the demands that are made on the adrenals when you take thyroid meds, esp. those w/a T3 component, like Armour.

Are you getting adequate carbs? If I recall correctly, were you the person who a while back was cutting out gluten? Many people do this by removing the gluten sources without replacing adequate carbs. Doing so stresses the adrenals -- when blood sugar takes a dip, an emergency cortisol response helps to prop the blood sugar back up. Over time, the adrenals get stressed out, and the weak/shaky feeling arises.

Any sort of blood sugar abnormality can cause the shaky, weak feeling. Have you had an HbA1c test done recently?

You might also check your pulse rate during these episodes. Resting pulse over 90 bpm on a regular basis suggests overmedication. It's not uncommon for people to occasionally need a reduction in meds. Dietary changes, supplements, changes in amount of exercise & exposure to cold, viruses, assertion by an autonomous nodule, -- all sorts of things can result in a touch of hyperT.

If you are experiencing vertigo along with your weak & shaky feeling, I would suspect a flare of the vestibular problem to be contributing. Or, if you are on meds for the same, is it possibly a side effect from the meds?

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to elmhar For This Useful Post:
mjgierten (06-19-2011)
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Elm

Thank you so much for the wealth of information, I have to run out to work right now but I will respond this evening.

Thanks
Scott

Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Elm

Okay, so in regards to the turkey. Sometimes i do eat it alone, like for breakfast sometimes I'll just have turkey or a piece of chicken breast and if anything, maybe some fish oil. (I also read somewhere people can feel shaky weak after ingesting fat? is that true?) Then maybe I'll have chicken or something for lunch or dinner with some vegetables. But normally the protein is by itself. And I've always been a thin guy. I'm 6'3 170-174. I use to be 180 to 185 before i cut out the gluten but since then its hard to get that many carbs.

and whenever i increase the armour, i seem to drop a few lbs. It's like my metabolism kicks up another notch when i add more. so here's what i've been doing.

I eat chicken or turkey everyday. I have 2 salads everyday with normally nuts/bell peppers/tomotoes on it. then i'll have a vegetable with dinner, either zuchini or broccoli or something like that. Now every 2 days i have grains (buckwheat or quinoa) something with no gluten in it. then i just have meat/nuts/veges/fruit for the next 2 days then have a grain. (I do this because of food allergies and i read too many grains are not good for you.)

but here's my question, if i'm getting a lot of carbs every couple days and only carbs from veges in between those days, will that negatively affect my blood sugar, thus giving me the feeling of such shaky, weak, lightheaded? And is it possible to have hypoglacemia or its symptoms without testing positive on a blood test i had over a year ago? it was one of those generic blood tests where they test a little of everything to see if your okay. It wasn't an in depth 4hr. blood sugar check or anything.

also, on my last thyroid test here were my results, i had this Dec. 16, 2006.

TSH: 2.07 .40-4.00
T3-Free: 3.6 1.8 - 4.2
T4-Free: 1.7 .8 - 2.1
T3-Total: 94 84 - 172
Thyrglob antibodies: 20 0-59
TPO antibodies: 37 0-59

Anything look off? is the T3 total too low?

and i have no idea what a HbA1c test is... don't even know if i ever had one. I just got over a cold about a week ago so maybe that affected something. i'm going to see my doc tomorrow so i'll see what she says.

anyways, sorry for the long post.

thanks for the help
scott

Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
regards to the turkey. Sometimes i do eat it alone, like for breakfast sometimes I'll just have turkey or a piece of chicken breast ... normally the protein is by itself ... I've always been a thin guy. I'm 6'3 170-174. I use to be 180 to 185 before i cut out the gluten but since then its hard to get that many carbs. ... whenever i increase the armour, i seem to drop a few lbs. It's like my metabolism kicks up another notch when i add more.
Hi Scott,

Yes, your metabolism does kick up a notch w/increased Armour. You've lost 10+ lbs. on your current regimen, starting out pretty skinny. I would wonder whether your combo of diet & meds are sustainable over the long run.

The main foods you are eating: poultry, veg, whole grains -- they are great foods. Keep them. But your diet is obviously deficient in carbs. To maintain weight & muscle mass, the average male needs around 2500 cal. per day. An active male, or one who works out regularly, may need more. Around 50 percent (range 40 to 70%) of those calories need to be carbs. Fast metabolizers need a higher proportion of carbs in the diet. Carbs are the primary fuel for the brain & many body processes. Without adequate carbs, a good portion of the protein & fat ingested is turned into glucose in the body, an energy-intensive process.

So ... 1250 calories worth of carbs per day. That's about 312 grams of carbs.
Have you stopped to figure out how many carbs per day you are getting at present?

One cup of uncooked quinoa = 110 grams of carbs (cooks up to a boatload)
One cup of broccoli/peppers/tomatoes/zucchini, etc. = 5 grams of carbs

So, one boatload of quinoa per day plus 20 cups of light veg per day will give you around 200 grams of carbs. Where to find another 100 + grams of carbs ... perhaps the starchy veg, like oh, say 4 large potatoes or yams? Or maybe a plate full of fruit?

I'm not trying to be facetious here. I know very well what you are up against. I & my teens have multiple food intolerances including gluten. This is not an easy lifestyle at first. But avoiding learning the necessary accommodations will only increase your pain. As a long-time member of a gluten intolerance support group, I must tell you that people who do not make the adjustments, to add in the necessary GF carbs, do not succeed in the long term. The people who stick around for 7 years -- as I have, are the ones who perservere with the investment of time & energy in shopping & cooking. Some people have found it helpful to get a dietician's advice. Others live by the support group. There are many good books out there to teach you how to make the necessary dietary additions. Gluten-Free Living for Dummies, by Dana Korn, is one that I would heartily recommened.

Whole grain rice is a very low-protein grain & an extremely infrequent allergen. However, if you are still concerned, sprouting the whole grain degrades the lectins & renders the grain even more digestible & less allergenic.

Frankly, if you have an extreme tendency to food allergy, I would be careful with quinoa & amaranth & any of the other novel high-protein gluten-free grains. If you are truly celiac, it may not be an issue, but if you mainly suffer food allergies, ck with your allergist. It is the proteins that provoke the allergic response. That's why the high-protein grains like wheat, corn, and soy (actually a legume) are among the most common allergens.

Cavemen ate a lot of FAT along with their protein, to assist their survival. Not that they lived long. People who are overweight can do Atkins/South Beach/low carb diets for a while. But they are generally in the end not sustainable diets. When faced with a blood glucose deficit, the body will burn fat, along with some protein. When both fat & glucose fuels are unavailable, the body will cannabalize its own muscle tissue to make glucose for the brain.

Unfortunately, the longer a low-carb diet is sustained, the messier the HPA axis interventions become. A good set of adrenal glands can prop up low blood sugar for a while, but inevitably, the adrenals get worn down from constant crisis intervention. Furthermore, a low-carb diet automatically slows conversion of T4 to T3. It's the body's protective mechanism: survival at the expense of slowing down & symptoms. We can all learn something from the wisdom of the body.

When your cortisol is used up (from everyday life, fighting inflam/allergies, responding to stress, & propping up blood sugar), you get to experience the delightful sensation of adrenaline, unbuffered by the cortisol, zinging into your T3-primed brain cells, now deficient of glucose. That makes for weak, shaky, sometimes even sick-feeling. I'm surprised you're not passing out all over the place. To make the nasty circle complete, a worn-out set of adrenals is going to predispose you to even more allergies of all sorts.

My daughter went through a similar phase & adjustment when she went off to college & had to start preparing her own food. It became easier just to skip the carbs. But soon she was into hypoG land. However, within 10 days of restoring adequate carbs to her diet, the weak & shaky episodes disappeared.

[QUOTE]And is it possible to have hypoglacemia or its symptoms without testing positive on a blood test i had over a year ago? [QUOTE] Absolutely. What I'm talking about here is hypoglycemia that results from dietary inadequacy, rather than from pancreatic insufficiency. If your adrenals were propping up your blood glucose level adequately on your chem panel, you would have likely fallen into the normal range. And the docs/labs are more concerned about hyperglycemia these days.

HbA1c is a test used to determine whether one has 'good glucose control ' -- a diabetes or prediabetes test.

Best wishes.

Last edited by elmhar; 01-09-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Elm

I'll respond in more full later, but I wanted to ask you if it would be wise for me to get a protein enzyme to help with digestion? especially if i'm eating carbs with protein in them?

Scott

Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Digestive enzymes are sometimes recommended when people suffer from slow digestion. Some docs think adequate digestive enzymes help reduce incidence of food allergies over the long run.

But I'm betting on increasing your carbs as part of the solution for your weak/shaky episodes.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Elm

sounds good.

one last thing i'd like to ask you. that is about the Human Herpes Virus 6 (HHV-6). I have that, and was wondering what you knew about this virus. When my thyroid and inner ear problems began i had this same shaky, weak, lightheaded feeling. And one doctor hypothesized that the HHV-6 virus activated itself to cause the inner ear thing, etc.

Now I thought since I had a cold for about a weak before all these symptoms cropped back up again, could the cold have triggered the HHV-6 to reactivate thus causing this weird symptoms again?

Any info would be great and thanks for the help.

Scott

Closed Thread