It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

wsue1023 HB User
Is there any benefit to removing thyroid?

That is if it's not cancerous? Mine is very large with nodules, but isn't cancerous. I have Hashi and have been on Synthroid for about 8 years, but the goiter (lovely word) sometimes makes me uncomfortable. If one of my kids accidently touches my throat, it swells even bigger for a couple days. I always feel like someone has their thumb stuck in my neck.

I've wondered if you have Hashi and you remove the thyroid if your even more likely to develop another autoimmune disease? Is this a nutty question? Just wonder since our chances are higher than average anyway, if this could be like an invitation for our bodies to go after something else.

Sometimes I think I'd feel better just to get it out, but maybe that's too extreme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: Is there any benefit to removing thyroid?

I am 9 weeks post TT - I had a multi nodular goiter (very large) which didnt cause me a great deal of discomfort. I also had Hashi but wasnt aware of it until the Path came back from my TT. I had had enough of never knowing 100% if the symptoms I was getting were thyroid related - my labs were very odd and the Endo wouldnt commit to the thyroid being the reason. I am glad I had it removed because I am now in more control (I feel). I wasnt on meds prior to the Op and it would have been very difficult to medicate me (I believe). I had a supressed TSH (indicating Hyper) but a low/normal FT4. Now my TSH is a bit high for my liking but it is great just to see my body working in the normal way - TSH is higher but so also is FT4. I know that a small rise in Meds would put my TSH lower and my FT4 higher (which is where I believe I'd be happier). Prior to the Op I would never have had that control. I also dont have the worry of it being cancerous (you can never know 100% if it is or isnt and will always needs check ups to confirm any changes).

I dont feel any huge differences yet but like I say I believe I'm a little hypo right now so thats probably the reason for it. I'm happy (well not happy as such!) to be patient and take it very slowly.

Good luck with your decision

Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
(female)

marissamm HB User

i had a huge goiter that became uncomfortable, i had it removed 2 years ago and i feel so much better i too have hashimotos,i even lost weight and kept it off for a year,i take luvoxyl and get my levels checked often, and my scar is barely noticeable.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

I am glad to hear you lost weight after TT, i am soon to have one and my neighbor says don't you turn into a hippo after thats done, so your post has gave strenght in this area!

Love, Monkey

Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

If yours isn't working, hasn't been working and you are taking replacement meds anyway - I say you're better off with it out!

I had mine out in October amidst a plethora of hypo/hashi's symptoms. I'd been on replacement for about 11 years before. There was question of cancer, etc. so I opted to have the whole thing removed.

Easy surgery, easy recovery, except for new med level adjustments, I'm feeling better than I have in over a year. All previous symptoms are gone with the thyroid.

I had precancerous tissue and a raging case of hashimoto's. I'd do the surgery again in a heartbeat.

I've lost a few pounds since surgery. I up my meds a bit the day after tomorrow. I'm hoping I might have an easier time losing some more following that...

Lisa

Closed Thread