It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

Sashaa HB User
Hyperthyroidism...trying to concieve...help!!!

Hi All..

I am new to this board. I was diagnosed with mild hyperthyroidism a year ago. I have been taking homeopathic medicines since then. 3 months back my TSH was within the normal range and so my GYN adviced me to go ahead with my concieving plans.
But my periods are very long and irregular. They are either heavy or very light. So its tough to know when i am ovulating. I bought myself a BBT to chart down my basal body temp yesterday .
I am really depressed with all this health complications and not able to concieve. If anyone has gone through this stage and become pregnant ...please do give me your suggestions.It'll be of a great help for me !!
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Waiting for your suggestions.
Sashaa

Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

jobeth12 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism...trying to concieve...help!!!

Hi Sashaa.

I am not quite in your situation as I could not get pregnant (blocked fallopian tubes) but found out I have Grave's disease after getting tests done by my reproductive endo which led me to a regular endo.

I will be doing in-vitro fertilization and all my drs' told me (my endo, reproductive endo & gyno) that my throid levels need to be in a good place in order to conceive as having the hyperthyroidism increases my chances of a miscarriage. I'm sure part of their concern was also the $ I would be spending on IVF so they want me to be in the best possible health.

I have been on a very low dose of PTU (50 mg a day). I just had my levels tested after being on the drug for 6 weeks and my levels are now normal. I am hoping I can move ahead with IVF, but still need t ochek with my drs.

You may want to get your thyroid levels checked again, especially if your periods are irregular.

Good luck to you. Jody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

Sashaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeth12
Hi Sashaa.

I am not quite in your situation as I could not get pregnant (blocked fallopian tubes) but found out I have Grave's disease after getting tests done by my reproductive endo which led me to a regular endo.

I will be doing in-vitro fertilization and all my drs' told me (my endo, reproductive endo & gyno) that my throid levels need to be in a good place in order to conceive as having the hyperthyroidism increases my chances of a miscarriage. I'm sure part of their concern was also the $ I would be spending on IVF so they want me to be in the best possible health.

I have been on a very low dose of PTU (50 mg a day). I just had my levels tested after being on the drug for 6 weeks and my levels are now normal. I am hoping I can move ahead with IVF, but still need t ochek with my drs.

You may want to get your thyroid levels checked again, especially if your periods are irregular.

Good luck to you. Jody
Hi Jody...

Thanks a ton for your reply. Nice to know that your thyroid levels are normal now. My best wishes for your IVF....hope evrything goes well with you . I am yet to get an appointment with my GYN.

I have gained 5 lbs in the past 4 months ...which is a reverse condition for a person suffering from hyper. How is your weight now? Is it normal?
I am suffering every minute and need someone who can tell me that i can surely get pregnant !!!! I getting nervous !!

Good luck to you...lots of baby dust to you !!
Sashaa

Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
(female)

Sashaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashaa
Hi Jody...

Thanks a ton for your reply. Nice to know that your thyroid levels are normal now. My best wishes for your IVF....hope evrything goes well with you . I am yet to get an appointment with my GYN.

I have gained 5 lbs in the past 4 months ...which is a reverse condition for a person suffering from hyper. How is your weight now? Is it normal?
I am suffering every minute and need someone who can tell me that i can surely get pregnant !!!! I getting nervous !!

Good luck to you...lots of baby dust to you !!
Sashaa

Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

jobeth12 HB User

Hi Sashaa.

I actually never had any symptoms of hyper. I am a thin person, but I have always tried to watch what I eat and I exercise at least 4-5x/wk. I do think I might have a quicker metabolism though as after being on the PTU drug for 6 weeks I did gain 7lbs (although I went on vacation & it was Dec so I ate a lot more than usual due to the holidays and did not exercise as much during that time but 7lbs is a lot for 6wks).

Have you been TTC for a few month as they do say a year of trying is normal? It is not actually easy to get pregnant. And stress plays a big role in TTC. I have many friends who actually got pregnant while on vacation or when the stress in their lives was at a minimal.

Definitely talk to your gyno about your concerns.

Good luck and I hope we are both mommies to be in 2007!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

Sashaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeth12
Hi Sashaa.

I actually never had any symptoms of hyper. I am a thin person, but I have always tried to watch what I eat and I exercise at least 4-5x/wk. I do think I might have a quicker metabolism though as after being on the PTU drug for 6 weeks I did gain 7lbs (although I went on vacation & it was Dec so I ate a lot more than usual due to the holidays and did not exercise as much during that time but 7lbs is a lot for 6wks).

Have you been TTC for a few month as they do say a year of trying is normal? It is not actually easy to get pregnant. And stress plays a big role in TTC. I have many friends who actually got pregnant while on vacation or when the stress in their lives was at a minimal.

Definitely talk to your gyno about your concerns.

Good luck and I hope we are both mommies to be in 2007!

Hi Jody,

Nice to see your reply. I too have gained weight during the last 4 months because of lack of exercise and over eating. Need to get back to my normal weight soon. But since i have started taking my homeopathic medicines i have noticed that i am gaining atleast 1lb every month...so on the whole i have gained atleast 9 lbs extra
Yes, i have been TTC from past 6 months. Its not an easy task since i dont know when i ovulate and my periods are crazy even though i am on medication. So i have strated charting down my BBT now...may be it is of some help !!!

I hope everything goes well with you !! Take care...good luck !!

Closed Thread