It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
Rollercoaster!!!! Midwest..Question

Well, I had been feeling better but now I seem to be failing again. Normal, I know, when adjusting meds but jeepers!!!
Hair loss is almost non-existent but my shortness of breath has gotten worse in the last few days. Really bad Sunday, better yesterday, bad again today.

Midwest, I saw in another thread that you had experienced shortness of breath before reaching your optimal dose of Armour.
Were you constantly suffering from this symptom or would it come and go before it finally stopped?

Again, I know it's "normal" to ride the thyroid med rollercoaster like this but I'd really appreciate your (and anybody's elses) experience with having this symptom diminish and then vanish entirely. I'm about a month away from my next blood tests, but may ask for them sooner if this continues this way..it's scaring me a bit.
btw, I had this symptom before my TT in September and had cardio tests - all came out fine.

thanks, thyroid buddies - this ain't no rollercoaster of love, let me tell ya...
b

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
Re: Rollercoaster!!!! Midwest..Question

ill ride tht roller coaster with you birchie hello !!!! katpurs do you remember me?????
im sorry to hear about your nightmare juorney , i relate as i have also had hell for nearly a year, diaged with hashis given thyroxine we didnt get on !!! now hyper levels despite not even getting to a starting dose and i hope thisd has all been a horrible dream and i will wake up like a rising swan! lol not going to happen i know i dont know what to think anymore , anyway sorry i was drifting i do that alot , yes i had shortness of breath on the synthetic before it started to do the job it happens when they first give it you really ! well it does with me helen midwest almhr brans anyone around with more info for birchie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtake care and i hope you are going to feel well try not to freak out like me it magnifies it love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hey kat!
thanks for your response - good to hear others go through the same thing at first...thanks for making me feel better!
wishing you better health
b

Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDayGore
Hi there,
I had a total thyroidectomy and it took at least seven months for the rollercoaster to stop. But in the meantime it grew easier to deal with anyway--so that by the time it stopped I had my "sea legs" and was getting along ok. It seems scary and eternal when you're first caught up in the ride but it DOES get better!
Regards,
Richard Day Gore

Thats good to hear Richard!

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi b...
I had rather uncommon breathing trouble while hypo. I had no trouble until I would exercise vigorously. Then I could take air in with no trouble at all, but I couldn't expel it all. Because exercise caused the need to take in air faster than I could expel the used air, it led to hyperventilation symptoms. For me, that meant my face would get all tingly. Never gave that a thought, really. Would never have sought medical advice for it on its own. It wasn't until I started adding things up that it finally dawned on me it could be from hypo.

Sure enough, about a year after starting successful treatment, the problem went away. When I'm on the treadmill, I sometimes amuse myself by inhaling a chestful of air and exhaling it fast and hard in one big 'whoosh' ... and it actually is gone! LOL

Have I told you that it took a year for my symptoms to completely leave? Yeah... ya hafta be a patient patient.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

You're right on Midwest..you have to be patient, even though I have the opposite, there were times that I felt short of breath or unable to catch my breath when I first had this, it was like I had to THINK about breathing normal! I've only been on meds for about 4 months, but already feel better(altho not great) compared to what I was when I thought I was having some sort of breakdown or heart attack! Nothing with the thyroid is fast,someone said. HEY NIKKI WHERE ARE YOU??? You were going to see another doctor last time we heard from you I think, you were getting hypo, how are you now?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Hi b...
Have I told you that it took a year for my symptoms to completely leave? Yeah... ya hafta be a patient patient.
Midwest, I think we have similar starting points with TSH and symptoms from reading your other posts, so I guess I will have to be patient, too. I have been wondering why I don't feel better after just 2 months. I guess I thought when I read that 6-8 weeks to get the full effects of a dosage meant I would FEEL the effects completely. Were you on the same dose for that year?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hang on a min if you have the thyoid taken out how do you end up like this i thought you ahd to take a lot of meds to stop you being really hypo yet alot say how hyper they seem to be for a long while after this tt, please explain to me how it works i know it takes time for your iown thyroid hormones to get out of your bodei how long can this hyper period go on for??? and can it be permenent or will it slowly die down and then you ahve to get the dose right????? i was asking as i get pain in my thyrod and ive had alot of trouble with the silly thing love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmomma
I guess I thought when I read that 6-8 weeks to get the full effects of a dosage meant I would FEEL the effects completely. Were you on the same dose for that year?
No, I wasn't on the same dose for a year. Because I couldn't take Synthroid without becoming overmedicated, my new Armour-prescriber started me on a lower-than-normal beginning dose, only 30 mgs. He increased it very slowly, by 15-30 mgs at a time over the course of the next 9 months. At 9 months, I felt pretty well... just one or two things lingered. By one year, I felt my old self again.

The thing about thyroid treatment for most people is that after a dose increase, they will start feeling a difference in perhaps 2 weeks; then they start feeling a return or worsening of symptoms - or even the onset of new ones - within the next 4 weeks. This is an indication that the body has gotten a taste of the hormone increase, liked it, so it starts screaming for even more. In other words, it's a sign that the optimal dose hasn't yet been reached.

When that optimal dose has been found, from that point onward, the healing begins. It takes the body's cells time to recover from the lack of enough hormone. It's only when they start receiving the same amount that your own gland would have provided when it was healthy that the healing begins and things completely return to normal. For myself, I think my optimal dose was found at 9 months; complete healing took another 3.
Make sense?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
The thing about thyroid treatment for most people is that after a dose increase, they will start feeling a difference in perhaps 2 weeks; then they start feeling a return or worsening of symptoms - or even the onset of new ones - within the next 4 weeks. This is an indication that the body has gotten a taste of the hormone increase, liked it, so it starts screaming for even more. In other words, it's a sign that the optimal dose hasn't yet been reached.

When that optimal dose has been found, from that point onward, the healing begins. It takes the body's cells time to recover from the lack of enough hormone. It's only when they start receiving the same amount that your own gland would have provided when it was healthy that the healing begins and things completely return to normal. For myself, I think my optimal dose was found at 9 months; complete healing took another 3.
Make sense?
Thank you...that makes perfect sense. That also pretty well describes how I have been feeling. Now I guess we will see how far my doctor is willing to go. He has said he will use the new .3-3.0 scale, but I don't know if he's one who gets me to the top end of normal and then stops.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Midwest and all,
As always thanks for the common sense reminders and support. I'm just bumping this up to remind everybody that we do, we truly do, get great advice here that doctors just can't and/or won't offer.

Very, very cool.

I'm happy to report that I've been breathing easier for about a week now and hoping that it will last at least until my next dose increase.

cheers and BEST wishes to all,
b

Closed Thread