It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

SRC HB User
Lugol's Solution iodine for HYPOTHYROID

Hi there. Has anyone's doctor prescribed LUGOL'S SOLUTION (IODINE) in conjuction with Synthroid? Am leary to take it so would like some feedback from people who have had some experience with this. Had RAI 4 months ago and am trying to get thryoid levels normal. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Lugol's Solution iodine for HYPOTHYROID

After RAI, it can take several months for the thyroid to calm down and stop releasing excess T4 into the bloodstream. Lugol's is a treatment for hypERthyroidism and is given in order to slow or prevent the dying-but-not-yet-dead gland from producing more hormone.

It seems like your MD is accelerating with the Synthroid and braking with the Lugol's. I don't know enough to know whether that's a good thing or bad. You should ask him about his reasoning. From what I can tell, it might work if you've been having lots of hyper/hypo cycling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Historically, (before Synthroid), Lugol's was used at low doses for hypothyroid, and at high doses for hyperthyroid.

It is rare nowadays to find a doc who will Rx Lugol's in combination w/synthesized thyroid hormone.

Lugol's is a solution of iodine and potassium iodide. Iodine/iodide is needed by the thyroid gland to produce T4, which is progressively metabolized by the body to other forms of usable thyroid hormone. How much an RAI'd gland could do is anyone's guess, Higher doses of iodine will, through feedback loops, suppress the gland.

Midwest, are you thinking that this combo is some sort of block & replace strategy? I agree with you, SRC should feel free to ask her med. consultant to explain.

Best wishes.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

SRC HB User

hi. My Dr. said the first week to take 1 drop Lugols, 2 wk--2 drops, 3rd week-3 drops, 4th week-4drops ...then stay on that. If I started to get heart Palps (assuming signs of HYPER) to cut down my Synthroid. He said every cell in our body requires iodine, not just the thyroid. I see him next week so will ask more questions before deciding whether to take it; although, seems since all this thyroid fiasco started last spring, I can't make a decision to save my soul. If I'm not crying, I'm raging, or numb emotionally. and NOW MY EYES ARE STARTING TO ITCH AND BURN. I did not have Graves so what's with that?

Thanks for your posts.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Well I dont really know too much about Lugols Iodine, but Ive heard that Iodine does help the production of t4 only if you have a thyroid.. If you had RAI Im going to assume your thyroid is destroyed and your soul base of t4 is going to come from your synthroid alone.. so I dont really see where you would benefit from the access Iodine.
I always thought Iodine was used to treat goiters back in the day or people used it in hopes of bringing a sluggish gland to life which would be bad if someone were to have hashis.
Take Care

Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I've been taking Lugol's now for almost a month. Started on 2 drops a day (in water) and add one more drop every two weeks.

Just bear in mind that there's an additional supplement protocol to take if you're taking Lugol's or any kind of iodine supplementation. This is in order to aid with the detoxification of halides (bromide, fluoride, etc) that have taken up residence in your body. Some of the symptoms of this detox can be unpleasant (zits, additional body odor, etc) but they pass once the halides have been depleted in your system. You might also want to read up on sea salt flushes to help accelerate detox.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

You might also want to read some of the work done by Drs Abraham, Brownstein and/or Flechas on iodine supplementation. Much of it can be found on line.

Closed Thread