It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

adj76 HB User
Hypo with throat probs

I was dignosed with Hashi's in November with my TSH level at 4.13 (lab values: 0.34-2.50). I started 50mcg Levothyroxin and had my levels rechecked last week. This time I am 2.98 (same lab values), so Levothyroxin was increased to 75 mcg.

My first question is just an overall opinion of how I'm responding to the meds, how my doc is handling it, etc.

I am also wondering about some swelling I have in the right side of my neck. I have noticed it for a long time, even mentioned it to my doc when I was in for my first check up. She didn't seem to find any swelling. I often have a feeling of having a lump in my throat and recently I have had things getting stuck in my throat when I swallow. One thing I've considered is that it is a goiter, but I think that the swelling seems too far over to the side of my neck for that. But since I don't know much about goiters... What do you think? Maybe it's something completely unrelated to the thyroid problems, but it would make so much sense if that was the cause.

Thanks!
Angela

Old 01-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
(male)

ThyroidShmyroid HB User
Re: Hypo with throat probs

I don't profess to be an expert, but your doctor is treating by the book as far as I can see. My TSH was originally 6.0 and I was given gradually increasing doses of T4 until TSH was 0.9.

I've been having an awful lot of strange symptoms in the last 2 years, though, and I am very frustrated with the treatment. I have had throat problems in the last 2 months or so, a feeling of pressure and soreness. Right in front and centre though, unlike yours.

So my answer to whether your throat problem could be hypo related is an unequivocal maybe. Not much help, I know. But at least you now know another hypo with throat problems, although again I feel obliged to point out that medical theory says I'm fully treated, for whatever that's worth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypo with throat probs

The term "goiter" means "enlarged thyroid gland"... usually all-over enlarged. Since yours seems to be more one-sided, my thought leans more toward a nodule... a lump upon the thyroid.

There's a right and wrong way to examine a thyroid. Did your MD palpate your throat? Make you swallow while she felt the front of your neck while standing behind you? Or did she just look at it from the front? However the swelling seems, I would want an ultrasound to see what's going on if it were my throat and my gland. Make a request for it at your next visit.

Closed Thread