It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
Hey ErinBeth

ErinBeth, haven't seen you around for a while. I hope that's because you have been gone on a terrific vacation, cruise, etc. and haven't had time to drop by. Hope you are doing well!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: Hey ErinBeth

Hiya Deb!

No cruises, but had a wonderful visit from my brother in December, great family time during the Christmas season. Somewhere in there the winter storms and a four-day power outage provided less happy excitement.

I stop by now and then, scan the thread titles, click a few, but haven't had time for much more than that.

I have little help to offer since I am one who has pretty much begun feeling much better the boring way: lab, increase in Levothroid, feel miserable and then a little better, lab, increase in Levothroid, feel miserable and then a little better, lab ... So far, I don't think my doctor is stupid and no heroics or even med switching has been required.

I am now just a week or so past eight months into my leveling process and due for another lab. I actually would have gone in today except today is a holiday. Not so sure about tomorrow since the forecast is for more snow.

I am interested in this next result and expecting there won't be a dose increase this time. Most of my symptoms are a vague memory now, only some occasional CTS symptoms, some fibro-like pain here and there and some puzzling hair issues which will probably resolve themselves now that I'm on the Levothroid and healing.

Actually, I would probably resist a dose increase right now because that usually means the return of many symptoms for several weeks and I'm rather liking feeling so well.

Last I read of you, your doctor wanted you to start adding Cytomel. I haven't managed to catch your updates. How is that going?

Hope you had a happy holiday season and that the winter storms aren't causing you any grief.

~Erin

Last edited by ErinBeth; 01-15-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the message, and I'm so glad you are feeling well!!! Hopefully you have leveled out on your meds and can stay at your current dosage for a while. I am doing pretty well. Yes, the doc did add cytomel. I had the devil of a time adjusting to it but after about 8 weeks the heart pounding etc mellowed out and just before Christmas I started feeling pretty good. The best thing about it is that I sleep so very well, where as prior to the cytomel I usually had restless nights unless I took something for sleep. I don't like to do sleeping pills, and now I sleep for a full 7-8 hours of very restful natural sleep, usually waking refreshed in the morning. I didn't know cytomel would do that for me. I obviously have no medical proof that it actually is the cytomel, but the wonderful rest certainly coinsides with the addition of the medication. My endo and I did just a phone consultation the beginning Jan. to report to him how I was doing after 8 weeks on the cytomel. He then suggested we up the dosage to 10 mcg from 5. I haven't had so much trouble adjusting to that dosage, just some minor jitters at first. I do labs. the middle of Feb. with an office visit. I do think overall I am feeling better with the addition of the cytomel. Hopefully we are on the right track. If not, I'm going to enjoy feeling better for the time being anyway!

Glad to hear your holiday season was a good one. And yes, the snow and winter storms are getting to us too. I am in Salt Lake City and we are in the middle of an "arctic blast". It was -3 degrees last night in my area. One of our pipes froze up (didn't break thank heavens) but we had to put a heating pad on it for a few hours to melt the ice inside to un-clog it. Of course my hubby is out of town on business... so my 16 yr. old son and I took care of it. It's amazing what a woman and a kid can do when we have to!

Stay warm wherever you are, and take care. See you around the boards!

Deb

Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

It is good to hear adding some T3 is helping you this much. As I recall you stuck with just T4 for a long time. I had the sense you really weren't feeling well enough, but that you were hesitant to complain, maybe didn't want to be a whiner.

Anyway, I think you gave your body plenty of time to get back into converting to T3 if it could and it looks like it just couldn't do that well enough, so adding Cytomel was the right thing to do for you.

I'm not 100 percent certain it won't be a consideration for me at some point, but I will probably wait at least six more months, assess symptoms, before asking my doctor to look at any alternatives. I want to give time for healing to take place if still needed. In the meantime, I'm watching you to see how this goes because I do still have some aches/pains and think my sleep could be more restful than it is, have the same distaste for taking drugs for that.

One of my yet unresolved symptoms is body hair loss (legs, armpits). It is, of course, ok with me not to need to shave, but it is troublesome to me in that it isn't normal. I thought that would be resolving by now since TSH was 1.9 three months ago and I've had a dose increase from 88mcg to 100mcg since then. There is simply no sign of hair there at all.

In contrast, I really hadn't realized I had lost hair on my head. I do realize it now because I see new hair about an inch to two inches long coming in in front of what I thought was my hairline! There is enough of it I think I am going to have a very different hairline considerably further forward than I realized! This must have happened so gradually over time I wasn't even aware of it. I have a lot of hair naturally, so I guess I just didn't miss that which fell out.

Anyway, my point is that the hair is coming back in on top of my head, but still no sign of the lost body hair. Weird.

Oh! The really, really, really best thing of all this ... I nearly forgot!!! I don't remember ever being able to eat like a normal human being my entire adult life, have always needed to keep the calories waaaay down and, sometimes enviously, watch most other people eat wonderful things I knew I could never have more than just a tiny amount of once in a blue moon.

Well, Deb! I've probably been eating 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day the past month (just a guess, I haven't counted) and tasting all sorts of wonderful things and have actually lost a little weight. I can get into jeans that, when I started this, were about three inches too small around my hypo-belly and they now fasten with ease! Imagine if I were to actually cut to 1500 or 1700 (both a high calorie number to me) and, maybe, even start a walking program or something like that!!

Previously, cutting to 800 or fewer calories a day and one hour of heavy aerobics every day was necessary for even a very, very, slow weight loss.

I think I'm liking my life a whole lot more. I really wasn't expecting this part and I know it doesn't happen for everyone.

That should help explain why I'm content to let things be for now. If I don't eventually do better with the pain and the sleep, however, and you continue to have such good fortune with your Cytomel, I'll consider talking to my doc about that. So, please don't go away and keep me posted. Did I mention I'm really glad this is helping you?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great changes for you too! You go girl with the weight loss! We'll keep in touch and I'll let you know what happens at my next doc visit in Feb. for an update on cytomel.

Deb

Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

February update sounds good. Let me know the date and I'll set up a reminder to check for news from you then, wouldn't want to miss it.

I'll let you know if/when I decide to get serious about weight loss. I suppose I will eventually be ready to do that. For now, it's just so fun to be able to try some formerly forbidden foods.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seeing my doc February 13 in the AM. I don't know if he will change anything or leave it status quo for a while longer. But I'll update you when I know more.!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

I set a reminder. I'll be watching.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Well, Deb, I finally did go in for the TSH lab yesterday. Received the results around 6pm last night and that last increase (88mcg to 100mcg) didn't do it, apparently. We were aiming for 1 and the new result was 1.7, down only .2 since three months ago. Received a message from Dr. Kaschko this morning telling me he has sent in a new prescription for 125mcg.

Since he is offering, I'm going to try it. I would like to think, this time, I will just feel better instead of going under for weeks. Seems like, if it is enough med, I should feel better after it starts to build up the T4, not worse.

Last edited by ErinBeth; 01-18-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: To add the new lab result

Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good Luck at the new dosage. Hopefully going up just .25 won't cause too much yuckiness in the way you feel. I am hoping for you that it's just the ticket for you to feel TERRIFIC!

Closed Thread