It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

SRC HB User
low TSH, low Free T4????

Hi. Was just wondering, is it not strange that in the past my TSH would be between .38 and 1.11 (0.27-4.2 range at our lab) yet my FREE T4 has always been really low : between 8.79 and 11.52 (12.0-22.0). My doctor didn't test FREE T3 , just total T3.

So was I Hypo or Hyper??? To me the TSH would be borderline HYPER yet the FREE T4 indicates HYPO? Just curious, not that it matters now cause I've had the sucker nuked and am slowly tryiing to get things set straight.

Shelley

Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: low TSH, low Free T4????

You are VERY hypo and you need to find a doctor who understands that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC View Post
Hi. Was just wondering, is it not strange that in the past my TSH would be between .38 and 1.11 (0.27-4.2 range at our lab) yet my FREE T4 has always been really low : between 8.79 and 11.52 (12.0-22.0). My doctor didn't test FREE T3 , just total T3.

So was I Hypo or Hyper??? To me the TSH would be borderline HYPER yet the FREE T4 indicates HYPO? Just curious, not that it matters now cause I've had the sucker nuked and am slowly tryiing to get things set straight.

Shelley

HI Shelley

I had a TT 3 months ago and prior to that had similar labs to you. My TSH was always supressed (around 0.126) and my FT4 was always low/normal (not below range though). I always felt hyper and because of my TSH thought that that was probably the case but after my TT it was found that I had Hashimoto. My Pituitary gland was obviously getting the wrong signals - very odd.

This is proven in that Pre Op & Post Op my FT3 & FT4 were virtually identical - FT4 13, FT3 4.92 - the difference though is that Pre Op my TSH was 0.126 and Post Op its 4.2! (hypo!). I hi-lighted this to my Endo and he replied with 'Oh yes - there must have been something up with the Thyroid then?!!' - you gotta laugh eh?!

Have you had your anti-bodies tested?

Good luck

Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

SRC HB User

HI Rach. Had my antibodies tested when my thyroid nodules started producing excess hormone last April (pre RAI)

May 9: TSH less than .03 (0.27-4.2)
Free T4: 12.45 (12.0-22.0) HIGHER THAN IT'S EVER BEEN IF YOU CAN IMAGINE!
Total T3: 1.7 (1.3-3.1)
STOPPED DESICCATED THYROID

May 11: ANTIBODIES: 5 (0.0-34.2)

May 19:Started Tapazole (anti-thyroid) and Beta blockers

jUNE 21 ANTIBODIES: 6.8 (0.0-34.2)

Shelley

Antibodies not out of whack at this point but so they haven't done any testing since RAI in September.

Shelley

Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

SRC HB User

I thought a person just had high antibodies with GRAVES disease? The doctors said I had toxic multi-nodular goiter. Actually, 20 years ago I was put on Synthroid to suppress a thyroid cyst. After the uptake test it showed a good portion of my thryoid wasn't even working. Of course they no longer "suppress" cysts ....

I'm convinced I've been HYPO for 30 years, except for the period they were giving me such high doses of Eltroxin I thought I was going crazy. Not until I moved and found a different dr. 10 years ago did my dose get dropped down. Unfortunately, it got droppped too much, dr. wouldn't listen to me so again...HYPO for a long time.

No mention ever of Hashi's though

This is a living Hell!! (as I'm sure everyone who has some form of this disease would agree).

Thanks for your post.
Shelley

Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Shelley,

I'm wondering, have you been tracking your pulse rate since before & now on, the Tap & B blocker?

It's MD groupthink, that suppressed TSH can only mean hyper. Doesn't demonstrate a very good understanding of the TSH test & what its pitfalls are.

You indicate you feel hypo ... I'm wondering what's happened symptom-wise since late May.

You've not had any repeat testing since then? That is below par care, not even up to the established standard-of-care.

How long ago was your RAI? Reason?

If you do not feel your symptoms are being taken seriously or if you have any question about the competency of the treatment you are offered, feel free to shop around for more helpful healthcare.

Best wishes.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

SRC HB User

Elmhar

Hi, I'm so muddled these days guess I wasn't all that clear on recent history...the past is such a mess too but no point dwelling on the thyroid messup there...
Note: Just before this most recent flareup I was on 90 mcg of Desiccated thyroid (1 1/2 grains)

Dec. 05: TSH 0.30 (0.27-4.2 / Free T4 7.7 (12.0-22.0) /Total T3 2.2(1.3-3.1)
March 06: TSH 0.38 Free T4 11.52 Total T3 2.2

Under alot of stress caring for a 14 1/2 year old German Shepherd...lifting her 10 xs a day and helping her outside. Have been swimming laps and taking aqua classes 5x's week and all of a sudden my feet are getting tingly....eventually this moves over my entire body over time. Heart is pounding, out of breath,tremors, neck aches when I lie down,heat intolerance, rages, insomnia etc etc.

]May 9th: TSH is less than .03/Free T4 28/Total T3 3.7 *****HYPER Stopped Desiccated
Started on Tapazole and BB in May to stabilize before RAI. Actually, spoke with the surgeon who did my MASTECTOMY twice before opting for RAI.

June 21: TSH still less than .03/ Free T4 12.45 /Total T3 1.7
June 29: TSH still less than .03/Free T4 13.89/Total T3 1.6
July 25: TSH 0.46 /Free T4 10.14/Total T3 1.2
Stopped Tapazole Aug 21st (3 weeks prior RAI)
Sept 6: TSH 1.42/Free T4 11.40/Total T31.8
SEPT 12.....RAI
Oct 12: TSH 9.27/Free T4 8.40/ Total T3 1.1
Started on 50 mcg Synthroid
Nov 29: TSH 6.70/Free T4 12.94/Total t3 1.1
Upped to 100 mcg Synthroid
Jan 16: TSH 2.32/Free T4 12.90/Total T3 1.3
Jan 19: upped to 150 mcg Synthroid
Sorry about all the #'s. just trying to give a clearer picture.

Hyper symptoms disappeared during the summer but the buzzing,tingling,vibrating is still happening so not sure if that's connected although understand from some that Neuropathy is a symptom of HYPO. Have been very depressed, hair falling out, anxiety, heart palps...all signs of HYPO
My Doctor said I'm "in the range now" and was hesitant to increase the Synthroid. He has agreed, however, to send away for a Free T3 test so hopefully that'll give me a little more insight as to what's going on.The saga goes on and on. My chest actually feels tight and having headaches since the increase here but could just be "stress". Not sure if I should cut back to 125mcg for a week or so and then up to 150.....actually, think I will split the difference starting tomorrow. YOUR THOUGHTS ? Constant dilemmas!

Thank you

p.s. I hope I'm not the only person who starts to think they're neurotic???? I've had years of Doctors not listening to me, even being hospitalized because of ANXIETY...duh...perhaps in the late '70s if the Dr. would have twigged that my tests indicated HYPO back then and actually treated it, I might have avoided alot of pain and misery and my family might not have had to witness the ups and downs of thyroid disease ...thinking I was crazy!!!! Oh well, can do nothing about yesterday, only this momen

oops...forgot to answer your question about pulse....when Hyper it was in the 80's at rest....now it's like low 60's.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I'm glad they're doing a free T3. With the low fT4 & bargain basement total T3, I'd be surprised if you had a great fT3.

This can & does happen even when TSH is "in range." The TSH test has pitfalls in interpretation, via certain assumptions that are made. Not generally recognized by MDs.

IME, increasing by 50 mcg all at once can trigger the symptoms you mention.

It can be hard to trim a 150 mcg down to 125 ... if you have leftover 100's, it might be reasonable to take 1/2 of each tab (50 + 75 = 125), or to take 100 one day, 150 the next, averaging 125.

With a resting pulse in the low '60s, I doubt you are anywhere near overmedicated at present, unless you are a dedicated athlete, in training -- they usually have those low heartrates.

Best wishes.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

SRC HB User

Elmar....thanks for your quick response.

Dedicated athelete --not. Just turned 51 (used to be an athelete, back in the old days). Actually was just starting to get into shape with the swimming, had lost 30 lbs was starting to finally come around I thought...then bam. I've had to work hard my entire life to lose weight. Seems only low carb diets would work and they're very hard to maintain (and not all that healthy). Now I'm back up very heavy (won't even get on the scale)...I know, foolish, but true.

After my Breast Cancer surgery in 2002 I saw a Traditional Chinese Medicine Dr. and had acupuncture and herbs. She said to not eat sugar, white flour products or dairy. I felt really well following that regime so think I'll get back at it. It's just finding the will to give it one more shot when my entire body is tingling and aches so much sometimes I could cry...actually, I do cry, quite a bit.

Had an MRI on Wednesday but don't see the neurologist until the end of February. So will see if it has shown anything.

Thank you for your posts. I welcome any input from you.
Shelley

p.s. just took my pulse right now sitting here and it's 58..that's pretty darn low and my body temp is running around 36.4-36.6 (except for a few bleeps into the 36.6-.8 range)

Closed Thread