It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Hashimotos AND Graves AND Pregnant - HELP!

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but my situation keeps getting worse as the blood results come back, and you all have been so helpful in helping me deal with all of this.

I've been miserable dealing with hypothyroid symptoms and last night I had my first taste of hyperthyroid symptoms (I figured that was coming with the low TSH level). The endocrinolodist is very reluctant to treat me because I'm pregnant and said that my levels aren't high enough or low enough to justify treating me because I'm pregnant. They aren't taking into account that I'm having extreme symptoms. I asked them to fax the results to my OB's office and asked them to call me when they get the results to determine the risks to the baby if they don't treat me. I can't think of anything else to do medically at this point.

I'm not understanding how a person can have Hashimotos AND Graves disease at the same time. Is this common? I wish they would just balance each other out so I can feel normal. Anyone else have both while pregnant and live to tell about it with a healthy baby? I'll get a copy of the lab results and post them next week. Thanks for all of your compassion and help in answering my questions.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Hashimotos AND Graves AND Pregnant - HELP!

Hon, did they TELL you that you have both? Sometimes Hashi's has a hyper phase. I don't see why they can't give you a beta blocker. It'll help the anxiety and fast heart rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

I'm sorry I don't have any insight on this one...I just wanted to tell you I feel for you and I hope that you and your doctors can figure this out to your satisfaction.

Just remember that especially OB/GYN's (though most doctors I suppose will do this) go into cover-their-butts mode for fear of malpractice suits when there are babies involved, so you know they will do their very best to make the best decision, especially if you put it in writing that you are concerned for your baby and want them to consider treatment. If they still tell you they don't want to treat, you can probably guess that is the course of least risk for you and your baby. I guess I am an optimist that way. Have you put your concerns and requests in writing for them?

Also, I forget how many weeks along you are? Maybe some of the symptoms will be more manageable when the usual 1st/2nd trimester tiredness is gone. I know for me I didn't start feeling good until almost 5 months in. (And I was untreated for Hashi's at the time--TSH 5.8 and T's in low end of normal).

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Yes, they told me I have both and I even asked for clarification to make sure I understood her correctly, since I was under the impression that they are opposites. I assume it's possible to have both, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't tell me that I have Graves disease specifically, they would have said hyperthyroidism, right? From what I've read, Graves causes hyperthyroidism but they're not the same thing, so they wouldn't use the terms interchangably.

I have episodes here and there of hyper symptoms but mostly have hypo symptoms the majority of the time. My heart was racing last night and woke me up but it calmed down after a couple hours, then I was weak, tired, cold and felt worn down all day again like "normal." That's the longest it's been racing, it's not all the time. I am 14 weeks along in my pregnancy, so I'm barely out of the first trimester which could be contributing to how I feel, but with my other 2 pregnancies, I was never this weak and exhausted all the time after getting a good night's sleep. It seems like no matter how much sleep I get, I still wake up feeling like I haven't slept in months and got hit by a truck.

Thanks for the vote of confidence that my OB's office will seriously consider doing something. That's comforting. She's a really good OB and takes my concerns seriously about other pregnancy "complaints" so I'm hoping that she can do something if it's safe for the baby. I have talked to the nurse practitioner there several times since first finding out about the low TSH level. She is the one who told me that the episodes I am having are not normal pregnancy stuff, it sounds thyroid-related and that I should call the endo and tell them I'm having extreme symptoms to get me in ASAP. SHE knows I've been suffering, so I'm hoping that she asks my OB/GYN to do something, even though the endo says my blood levels "aren't high enough or low enough to do anything." My OB isn't in the office on Wednesdays, so we left it at she's going to talk to her tomorrow (assuming the endo's office faxed them the results like I asked them to) and get back with me. I have a normal OB appointment next week and an appointment at the endo to get my blood checked again the following week. I'm at least a little relieved to know what the problem is and I'm hoping my OB does something about my symptoms.

Thank you for the encouragement! This has been a lot to swallow, especially being pregnant and not fully understanding the effects on the baby from all of this. I stopped reading books because they're scaring me and am waiting to talk to my OB about MY actual blood tests to get her opinion on the possible effects on MY baby. That is more comforting than all of the "possibilities" they write about in books. No more reading about pregnancy effects, only general info on Graves so I can understand what it is (I haven't read much about that one yet, only the Hashi's). I'm not going to panic unless my OB tells me there's a problem. I haven't actually gotten to talk to either doctor about it since I've been diagnosed, I've only talked to their nurses. I'm looking forward to talking to my OB, or at least hearing what she has to say, either tomorrow or at my appointment next week when I can pin her down.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Graves and hyper are interchangeable. I was told I was hyper but not that I had Graves until about 2 weeks ago, I was told I had t-3 toxicosis before that..hyper too.if they find antibodies-tsi..you're considered hyper-Graves being the cause.I know..it's confusing aint it?? Especially when you're pregnant too!Don't forget to ask about beta blockers. I can't take them but I heard they help the anxiety and fast heart beat.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

i cant beleive your post i have suspected this for along time that i also have this as i could not tolerate thyroxine atall despite having hashis antibodies low tsh in the beggining and kept getting lower how did they get this clarification i also feel hypo most of the time but the speacialst said this was impossible and had never heard of it post here what your hashis antibodies and post your tsi antibodies??? please i am in an awfull mess and this is not been a usual case for me did you say they put you on thyroxine at any time please dont worry i had temporary hyper while pregant they suspect and they are fine babys as long as its controlled try to keep your chin up and just keep getting monthly bloods done so you can keep it as even as poss i have had all your symptoms i could have cried when i saw your post that i can now say look here proof a hole ! sending you big hugs from the uk lots of love from pursie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhope you can talk to me furtherxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

jm what is your weight like cos my labs were just a tiny bit out of range and i really feel hypo and hyper at the same time
but still felt extreemly ill is this familiar please post your tests and what ones you had try not to worry you sound like you are really on the situation sweetheart and its great you have great medical backing love from pursie ps all of my docs at the surgery have been great and trhe endos have been awfull i have to say they do try but i cant expect miricles as they arnt endos but they are better than the endos ive seen love from pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Pursie - Thanks for the support and I'm soooooo sorry you're going through the same thing. This is really aweful! I wish I could be of more help to you, but I'm still trying to figure all of this out myself and, although the Hashi's AND Graves seems to fit my hypo symptoms and hyper bloodwork, I'm really starting to think that my endo doesn't know what she's doing. The Hashi's alone fits too, though, because there is a hyper phase to that, so it makes sense that I could have hypo symptoms, some occasional hyper symptoms and hyper bloodwork. But, the nurse admitted today that they really don't know what's wrong with me and it can change from week to week because I'm pregnant. So, I'm not sure why she called me last week to tell me I have Hashimotos, then yesterday, she called to say I have Graves too, then today she said they don't know for sure and it could just be the pregnancy messing with my thyroid. She clarified the Graves diagnosis, though and said that my antibodies, TSH, T3 and T4 that came back last week suggested Hashimotos and the TSI that came back yesterday would indicate possible Graves and it's possible to start out one way and go the other, according to them. When they said they weren't going to treat me because I'm pregnant and my numbers arent high enough or low enough, I had them fax the results to my OB for her opinion. She thinks I need treatment and that I should find a new endo. So, I have an appointment with a new one tomorrow. After I schedule that, the other endo's nurse called back to say they reconsidered treatment (for hyper, which scares me based on my hypo symptoms) and wrote me a prescription. Thank God I called my OB because it's not safe during pregnancy!

This has been so frustrating being told one thing, then another and then that they could have been wrong all along and don't really know what my problem is. This board has been a sanity-saver! I'm so thankful for the people here who keep responding to my posts with patience and encouragement.

Bran's, I will ask about a beta blocker tomorrow with the new endo. Thanks for the advice!

My labs are as follows:
T4 Free 1.03 (0.73-1.79)
T3 Free 2.8 (2.3-4.2)
TSH 0.124 (0.350-5.500) LOW
Anti-Thyroid Microsom Weakly positive (neg-1:20)
Anti-thyroglobulin Negative
(those were the results that came back last week when they diagnosed the Hashimotos - they still say they think I have Hashimotos)
TSI 3.7 (1.1-1.3) HIGH
(that came back yesterday when they called me with the Graves disease diagnosis)

Closed Thread