It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Too much T3?

what are the symptoms of too much T3? I'm on armour, and I dont feel overmedicated in the sense of hyper symptoms, (racing heart, sweating, etc.) but I feel pins and needles, in my feet and so forth. Was wondering if too much T3 could cause that? Or not.

Thanks
scott

Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

SRC HB User
Re: Too much T3?

Hi Scott

I switched to desiccated thyroid in 2002 and last spring I started to get tingling in my feet which gradually has moved into legs, arms, hands, nose and lips. Around the same time I had quit smoking and my thyroid went HYPER (toxic multi-nodular goitre). Long story short...had RAI in September and am still not quite at the right dose of medication yet (Internist does not want me to use natural thyroid so am trying Synthroid for now). Have no idea if it is my thyroid causing this (cause HYPO can apparently cause neurological symptoms) but maybe it was the quitting smoking that caused some weird dopamine shift or something. In anycase, I still have it. Am seeing dr. on Monday about results of brain/spine MRI I just had last week.

Sorry am of no help but keep in touch and maybe we can figure this out eventually. Good luck with sleuthing!

Shelley

p.s. hope yours doesn't progress and is a B12 deficiency or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

How long have you been on Armour and what is your dosage? Can you post your last blood tests..........I am new to Armour and know there is an adjustment time for some of "us." Hopefully Midewest will jump in here with her input!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Scott, I am unsuccessful on Armour. My doctor feels the ratio of T4 to T3 is too much for me. I had a really bad episode on Armour a while back (just over a year ago now). I did have the hyper symptoms of heart racing, pounding, jitters, sweating etc. Along with that, I also had something similar to your pins and needles symptom. Mine however was more of a "numbing" (I didn't feel a tingling, just nothing at all) in my feet and hands, and slowly it crept up my arms and legs. It really scared me combined with all the other symptoms I was having on Armour. I don't know if yours is similar, but wanted to share what happened to me in case the info. can benefit you.

My doctor switched me back to synthroid, at a lower dose than I was on previously, then had me build up slowly again. This fall he added cytomel in a very small dose and we are trying to build up the T3 in a different ratio to what is found in Armour. Who knows, maybe if I build up my T3 tolerance slowly enough, maybe I could tolerate switching to Armour again in the future. For now though, I am doing pretty good on 100mcg Synthroid and 10 mcg cytomel.

Good luck to you and hope you find just that right dosage for you to feel great!

Last edited by Red Maple; 01-26-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Yeah, I think this started when she upped me to 90mg of Armour, from 75mg. I know that on the test my TSH was 1.83 and my Free T4 was really low, but my Free T3 was really high, upper normal range. But she still wanted me to try going up to 90 because of how I was feeling.

So I think tomorrow I might try going back down to 75 to see how I feel. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Scott

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
(female)

SRC HB User

Hi Scott.
I've read somewhere on this forum where because Armour has T3 and it is 4x's stronger than the T4 that some people drop their dosage down and then add synthetic T4 (synthroid,eltroxin etc.) I'm no expert so don't quote me...hopefully some of the veterans will jump in and help.

Good luck
Shelley

Closed Thread