It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
(female)

kennett HB User
Unhappy Thyroid Help Needed. Please Help!

I'm new to this site. I'll try to keep my story short and to the point. I recently had a total thyroidectomy done just a few weeks ago. Prior to this I didn't have any real symptoms that I can think of. Last march I was having some chest discomfort. Went to the hospital and they said I had a heart attack. Then again in May same symptoms found myself back in the hospital. Once again they said I had a heart attact. I'm 36 years old and never had any heart problems. They ran all the necessary testing and could not find a reason for the attacks. None of my arteries were cloged, no hypertension nothing. Everything came out clean. They stuck me on all of these medications and sent me home. While at one of the hospitals one of the doctors came into my room and told me it would be in my best interest to find another cardiologist to look into some things to find out why this was happening. She told me that it appeard that the doctors there weren't looking in to the "why" this was all happening. She gave me the name and number of a doctor in Philadelphia Pa. I saw him and one of the first things he did was notice my neck. He said that he wanted my primary to order an unltrsound of my thryoid. The labs on the thyroid were fine. My doctor ordered the test and I got a call from him a few days later telling me that I have a nodule on the right side of my thyroid and I needed to get a biopsy. He also referred me to a hematologist. To make a long story short after the biopsy I got a call telling me I needed to see this surgeon because they thought the gland needed to come out as soon as possible. After some time I had my entire thyroid gland removed. Everything appears to be going well. There is still some slight pain and discomfort. I'm extreemly tired. No get up and go and slightly depressed. I went for my follow up to see the surgeon and he tells me that there was some cancer cells there. He also said that he removed 11 lymph nodes which none had any signs of cancer cells in them. He told me that when I see the endo guy they would put me on a one time dosage of the radiation pill. This is were I'm at now. It's been 2 weeks since my operation. I go to see this thyroid guy next week. I don't know what to expect, what to look out for. They did put me on synthroid and calcium pills when they discharged me from the hospital. I've looked all over for info on this problem and can't seem to find clear cut answers. This is driving me mad. What exactly are the side effects of the radiation pill? How will I feel durring and after? When will I feel like myself again? Can the thyroid cancer actually affect your heart?? Someone please help me. I need some info before I go to see this guy. To me the more information I have the better I am to make an informed decision about my treatment. I would appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks,
Kennett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid Help Needed. Please Help!

You might feel yucky from the surgery, as well as not having the right thyroid hormones in your body. In terms of the heart attack, it may or may not be related, the endo. and cardiologist will have to explore that, if your nodule was spilling extra hormone, it should have shown in bloodwork, and that could possibly affect the heart, but I wouldn't give up on finding the reason for your heart issues if I were you.

You might not need to take an RAI pill to ablate thyroid tissue, if indeed you just had a few cancer cells. If you do, in the US they usually make you go "hypo" without thyroid hormone for several weeks (which makes you feel terrible) and then have the pill and start medication a couple of days afterward. Every nuclear med. facility seems to do it a bit differently, and have a different philosophy.

Once you get back on thryoid hormone, they will try to keep your "TSH" level "suppressed" --- you might be a bit on the hyperthyroid side, and this prevents thryoid cancer from growing back. Columbia Presbytarian hospital has a website that describes the process pretty well, as does the thyroid ca associations site.

Some pp. feel normal pretty quickly. I went thru. this 2 years ago, it took about 6 months after surgery to get my meds right, and start feeling back to my old self. But now, everything is fine, and especially because you only had a few cells, you should do great!

Last edited by Reece; 01-28-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User

Sorry for your troubles.

Did they associate your thyroid with your heart attacks?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

kennett HB User

Reece,

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

kennett HB User

Tamsin,

As of yet no. One of my cardiologists and my primary feel that this was the reason for the attacks. From a cardiac stand point I've been stable since the last attack.

Closed Thread