It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

lillyjane HB User
daughter TSH 827-mother Hashimotos but not hypothyriod

This fall we found out that our daughter has Hashimotos and hypothyroidism. She is only 10 years old. The poor thing was so sick this summer and has had many,many symptoms that finally all clicked for me when I asked my pediatrician to test her thyroid. My husband has Hashi's and is hypo. When the results came back they were SHOCKED because her TSH was 827. After months of headaches and still feeling horrible(actually went hyper because of the high dose of synthroid) she is feeling better and levels are improving. She has and is having major emotional ups and downs. It's taken a lot out on her physically and now I can see emotionally. Can anyone relate to this? Any suggestions?

Also, it turns out that I recently had elevated levels of the thyroid antibodies -after finding out that my daughter has Hashimotos and hypo my endocrinologist diagnosed me with Hashimotos but I am not hypo yet-TSH was normal. These are some of the symptoms I have:

hair loss, carpal tunnel in wrists, difficulty swallowing(flare ups), gastro issues- this summer had H-pylori infection, bloated feeling, weight gain(not significant), irritability-not myself

Dr. tested me for other associated disorders that people with Hashimotos can have and it all came back normal.

Are there any people out there with Hashimotos who are not hypo? Does anyone have any of these same issues.

Thanks so much..this is my first time doing anything like this and I hope to find some answers or just someone who can relate....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

kwebster HB User
Re: daughter TSH 827-mother Hashimotos but not hypothyriod

Lillyanne:
You are right down the road from me. I live in Manassas. Sorry to hear about your daughter. What is your TSH level. The reason I ask is that many people on this board are more of a help when they know your lab function tests. My son is ten so I can imagine how disruptive the thyroid problem is to your daughter. Hopefully you guys have a good endo. I think with Hashi's II'm no expert had pap thyroid cancer) but I think it can swing from various points in the spectrum. Just because you are "normal" now doesn't mean you will be that way a month from now.

I really wish you the best. Keep your chin up. Take care!
Kathy

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

lillyjane HB User

I need to get out my records and look...all I know is my endo said that TSH was normal....I will take your info into consideration and get my actual test results. Thanks for your kind words..my chin is up!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos (and possibly Graves disease on top of that, but they aren't sure about the Graves). I was actually just put on treatment this week for hypERthyroid since my TSH was low (it is normally high for Hashimotos). My doc didn't want to treat because my T3 and T4 levels were in the normal range (on the high end of normal, but still normal), but I pushed for treatment and finally got it when I kept telling them about all of my symptoms. From what I understand, it can swing back and forth from hyper to hypo. From being on this board, I have also read several complaints that the labs fell in the normal range (which is a wide range) but they were still having symptoms. If you are experiencing symptoms that are bothersome, push your endo for treatment or find another one willing to treat based on symptoms. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this with your family.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

lillyjane HB User

Thank you so much for your input. I think I am going to go to another doctor who will treat my symptoms and not just the numbers. It seems like this is a common course of action for many patients...finding a good doctor is tough. Thanks again for responding..I hope your health improves.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi lilly i have also had bad probs i am hashis and was given thyroxine as my tsh did fall out of range but i couldnt tolerate the teeniest bit of it had to come off it and no i have the hypo symptoms back what is the awnaser i have flare ups also thatb feel hyper what in the world is going in guys this is weird and i have been in this crap up tomy neck for a year love from pursie or katpurs and hi i dont think we have spoke before i have witrh you j and hi to you all this is a great place to be though for people like us so we can try to unravel this mess ! lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xx
ps love to your daughter this isnt right for a child to have to go through i say dam to this disease xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 01-31-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Brings back old memories. I lived in Manassas and then Haymarket. Got kin in Leesburg.

That does appears to be an awfully high TSH. Has anyone looked into either TSH assay interference or resistance to thyroid hormone? TSH assay interference occurs when a person has antibodies to certain proteins used in certain test kits. It can appear that the TSH is a lot higher than it is. It's most often caused by mice antibodies but can be caused by other things as well.

The resistance to thyroid hormone is a genetic condition where the pituitary and sometimes other organs are resistant to the affect of the thyroid hormones. Basically, the pitutiary pumps out bunches of TSH and makes for some really odd lab readings.

Just a thought????

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Helen

Closed Thread