It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

JC in CA HB User
heel/foot problems and Hashis

I have read that excess dry skin / calluses on the feet are a symptom of Hashimoto's. I recently had severe foot pain, swelling, redness and the area was hot to the touch- so I went to a podiatrist. Through x-rays he found that I have bursitis in my foot. We were talking about what caused it- and he said that I had 2 pin point calluses under the troubled area that may have aggravated the problem- he removed both. I then asked him about hashi's and dry skin - he told me that people with hashi's produce more dry skin and calluses then those without. I told him that I need to use a pumice on my feet a couple times a week and that barely keeps up with the problem. He recommended that I try Heel Balm by Flexitol. I have been using it now for about 2 weeks- one time a day- and can not believe the difference. I haven't had to use the pumice at all.

I wish I knew about this before I developed the calluses - perhaps the bursitis would not have developed.

I have learned so much from this board and hope that this might help someone else.
-JC in CA

Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

unruly_hen HB User
Re: heel/foot problems and Hashis

Hi JC
I have foot and heel problems too. I had found out I have Plantar Fascitis before I found out I have Hashi's. I later found out the plantars is one of the symptoms of being hypo. I also have rough, dry skin on my feel. I'm always using the pumice stone. I'll look for some of the lotion you mentioned. I'm always amazed how much the thyroid affects the body. It's an ongoing learning process. The hardest part is getting meds regulated.
This board is great support.
Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

bookishmomma HB User

Thanks for the tip! I am going to try it. Did you get it at a regular drugstore, or online?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

JC in CA HB User

I found it at the Drug store by the foot products- where they have corn/callus pads and such. The package says use 2x a day- I found that once made a huge difference- I put it on before bed.
I hope it helps you as much as it has me.
-JC in CA

Old 02-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

JC in CA HB User

Robin-
My husband has plantar fascitis as well. I did not realize there was a connection to hashi's with that as well. It is amazing how much your thyroid impacts everything! It took us a long time to concieve our 2nd child- (first one was when we were trying not to!)- so now- in hindsight- my guess is that my thyroid problems started about 15-16 years ago rather than the 2 years since I was diagnosed.
-JC in CA

Closed Thread