It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

unruly_hen HB User
Anyone else doing South Beach with

Hi everyone,
Is anyone else trying to do the South Beach Diet and manage their thyroid at the same time? I started the SBD last month and find I'm having a problem getting enough energy to get through the day. I need to lose weight and I thought that with this program it would be more practical for me. It eliminates the sugar and carbs. I'm finding that without any carbs to speak of, I get really tired. I have lost 5 lbs, but it's been tough. I know I used the carbs to get me through the day. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Robin

Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User
Re: Anyone else doing South Beach with

I eat a diet I call the South Atkins Zone, some combination of those three. I am a believer that we don't need to eat carbs or sugar (but they sure are good!!). I will admit that it is at first hard and sometimes you do run low on energy, but that all should pass. I work out seven days a week, I run an hour at a time, all without sugar and with around 20-30 carbohydrates a day. Don't get caught up in the "I need carbohydrates for energy" because all food is a source of energy. Fat is the next source of energy used when carbs are not available. Any of the above-mentioned diets are basically diabetic diets, which is truly the diet we all should be eating. I cheated this past weekend when we went out to eat and I ordered cherry crisp for dessert. I had such a full, stuffed feeling, not such a good feeling, that you typically don't have when you stick to South Beach, or Atkins, or The Zone. Are you exercising while you are on this? The Atkins book says, if you are not exercising while doing this, then you are not doing Atkins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

As so often happens with low thyroid, my daughter has it too. But she isn't in treatment for it, due to reasons of her own. She is very overweight, went on the SB diet and quickly lost at least 75 lbs even though her thyroid is 'broken'. She has a huge appetite but says that she didn't feel any more hungry than she ever has while on the diet.
Problem was, like most "diets", she couldn't stay on it long enough to reach the maintenance level. And she couldn't see herself living without a potato until that level was reached.

As Sparkie says, those carbs are truly not needed for "energy".

Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hi,

An Endocrinologist asked me to try the South Beach diet for insulin resistance. I could not drop this 30 pounds I have gained over the last few years and I craved carbs and sweets........ I tried it doubting it would work.
I am hypo thyroid and on Armour............

The first 2 weeks was hard because I could not eat what I was used too....... the first 3 weeks gets you off all the sweets and bad carbs and gets rid of those cravings........... It worked well for me and frankly I am staying on this for life...........

I now have lost 20 pounds total gone from a 16 to a 12 loose now.......
It has taken since end of September. I eat frequently and small amounts.....I know what to eat and what not to eat now.......... no more sleepy after I eat and no more sneaking some candy or sweets on a daily basis........... I have never been an over eater and I exercise every day and could not budge a pound............

I am mostly impressed with the inches that have come off my upper stomach and breasts which makes me happy............. my body is starting to look like it's old self......

It may not be right for you but it has worked great for me..........let me know if I can help.........

Oleander

Old 02-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

unruly_hen HB User

I know this will work better for me once I get on the right dosage. I do miss the sugars and other carbs, but this is what I need. I'll still struggle with it even tho I fall off once in a while. It's a lifestyle change, I know. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

UnrulyHen (love the screen name!), I am glad you are sticking with this. Don't get discouraged if you don't see the pounds melt off. One unique thing about this diet is that you tend to get a leaner look. The fat is used as energy and all that protein is making your muscles look great! You may find that you actually look better than what the scale says. I have a friend who is 6'0", obviously a big girl. I hadn't seen her in a while and noticed that she looked great! She said she saw a nutritionist, basically on a low sugar, low carb diet, but only lost 6 pounds! Now, I noticed a huge difference with only a six pound weight loss. She is also an athlete so she does get a lot of exercise. In any event, I didn't want you to get too focused on the scale when hopefully your clothes will show the proof. Good luck, I know you can do it!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anyone else doing South Beach with

I was Dx'd hypo almost 3 years ago, and was slowly putting on weight. I heard through this board that SB is good for people w/ hypo, so I started on it in mid- Oct.
I'm not sure exactly what my starting weight was (didn't have a scale yet), but my weight after the first two weeks was 289 (I'm a tall girl, 6 feet tall).
I've only lost 15 lbs so far, but I've also had foot problems and can't always exercise like i'd like to, plus I preety much just maintained for a couple of the weeks during the holidays. Plus being hypo, I have a slow metabolism as it is.

Best of luck to all of you!!!
Becky

Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User
Cool Re: Anyone else doing South Beach with

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, non- insulin dependant, 3 mos ago, I knew something was going on. I felt awful !! and I smoked about a pack every 3 days, with no excersise.

3 mos ago,

I et, Debbie cakes, 2 a day, ice cream ,1 bowl full ,any flav. and chocolate candy, usually 2 round reece cups,hostess suzy Q's, that was my menu for a day everyday for 2 years.
I was a mess!!! 20 lbs overwieght diagnosed with on the 'verge of a stroke,' yes a stroke, by my Internist,[ Ive been seeing Dr Joe almost 20 years].

the shape I was in, was killing me ((

I woke up!!!! and began to fly right))))

I started the south beach diet and I feel good, I think my doctor saved my life.

south beach is a good diet Id reccomend it !~~!

Last edited by td9997; 02-09-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User
Smile Re: Anyone else doing South Beach with

I also gave up the nasty lil cigs,

12 weeks no cig yippee!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Anyone else doing South Beach

Jan 1st I was 8 years free of cigs.......keep it up , it is worth it.......

Between stop smoking, thryroid and heading into Menopause the weight thing has been hard......... my battle has only been the last few years but it is tough.....I have a brother with diabetes which makes me a higher risk for insulin resistance....which is where you get the fat around the middle.

The South Beach is good for me. If I can just maintain and not get bigger I will be happy. I would like to get to a size 9 at least........

If I go to a Mexican resturant? I just leave off the rice and beans, any other place? leave off the bread and rolls and no baked potatoe...... I stay away from all deserts unless they are sugar free.......once a month I allow myself to have something like ice cream. Only wheat breads and limit your fruit. I am finding the sweets and junk just does not tastes as good as it once did.......... I am more of a chips an salsa person so I have to watch that and limit that kind of stuff.

Since I am living alone I can get the South Beach wraps and have those for lunch and I love the Breakfast bars.....I eat those if I get a sweet craving.
I am not crazy about the frozen dinners.........

Good luck and keep it up............ I have a goal to lose 10 pounds by May 1st.
I am going to try..........

Oleander

Closed Thread