It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

anah HB User
I think my husband is hyperthyroid, dr. says NO

I would like some opinions from those here that are familiar with hyperthyroid problems and reference ranges. My husband has been experiencing what I believe to be hyperthyroid symptoms for years, I finally got him to go get some tests ran. The doctor only does a TSH test, said he felt "no need" to do Free T4 or T3.........(I understand that is suppose to be important tests to do, but he did not do them.) My husbands TSH came back at .825. He only told my husband what the number was, did not give him reference ranges. I know that "normal" is considered to be between .03 and 3., I believe. The doctor told my husband his thyroid level is normal and he is fine.

My husband gets tremors, shakiness in his hands at times (alot), has alot of anxiety and much irritiablily, hot temper flare ups, and the most physically noticeable symptom he has is PROFUSE sweating upon the slightest exertion. He is hot all the time, never is cold........he sweats when he does anything physical to the point of it running down his foreheas and dripping off his nose, has to change clothes at least twice a day when he home working (we live on a ranch). Every stitch is soaked. Many times he gets very pale with red splotches all over his body when he is excerted himself and sweating like this. It worries me. The doctor shrugged at this, didnt' seem concerned. He has frequent loose bowels, always saying "must have been something I ate" but the rest of the family has no problems and we ate the same thing..........and he gets this rash, red, small bumps on the back of his neck and bend of his elbows that is itchy, and he only seems to get them when he is very stressed out, which often as he gets upset and irritated very easily. He is moody, negative and seems depressed because he gripes so much and has every reason to be in a good mood. His cholesterol stays a little too high much of the time, he has heart palpitations. At times he has very irrational opinions coupled with bursts of anger, out of no where.........And his eyes don't have that severe "wide eyed look", but they are more prominent than most, and at the outside corners, above his eye lid, he has these thick "pockets" that bulge a little beside each eye. I am concerned.

Does anyone think he can still be hyper with his .825 tsh, and that he should go to another doctor, or is he likely "normal" and the mood swings, hands trembling, sweating and constant irritiablily just "him" and not a thyroid problem??????? I know his outlook on his daily life could be so much more positive, and I really thin its something physical. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
Re: I think my husband is hyperthyroid, dr. says NO

Hi...I am sorry for your husband...i am hypothyroid and thyroid does run in my family both sides...a good thyroid book for you to get and read is Could It Be My Thyroid by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...your library can get them for you or Barnes and Noble or Borders...lots of info for you to read...can you print out a list of symptoms for hyperthyroid and bring it to your doctor...please let us know what happens

Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

He needs to see another doctor that will do a free T3 and free T4. I am hyperthyroid with a normal TSH. My first TSH test was 0.9. I also have high cholesterol which is not normal for regular hypers. Most hypers have low cholesterol.

My eyes only get that wide eyed looked when I'm very very hyper. I have had thyroid storm. In fact I have a very similar symptom list to your husband's.

I should have a firm diagnosis of secondary hyperthyroidism due to inappropriate tsh secretion (most likely PRTH) in March after I see the endo. It's taken 25 years to get this far.

Please encourage him to see someone who will look a little closer at the situation.

Good luck.

Helen

Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I'd also have his blood sugar checked. He has many symptoms of blood sugar problems as well. Hot all the time, anger outbursts, profuse sweating, irritability, heart palps, etc etc can all be associated with blood sugar problems.
I've been hypoglycemic for 10 years and many of those symptoms you described I've experienced and this was long before my thyroid problems even started.
Request a 5 hour glucose test. 3 hour tests don't always catch a problem.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

yes he definitely needs another doctor who will take this seriously and more testing! I don't get the tsh number, my math sucks, is this HIGH or LOW? Wouldn't it need a 0 in front of it to be low? His symptoms are very hyper sounding!

Closed Thread