It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

disti HB User
How to decide to change to Armour if all is "well"?

I've been hypothyroid since 2001...I am 36 now. So I've only taken Levoxyl until this year and decided to add Cytomel. I feel fine on it (also felt ok on just the Lev. but doc said we could try to 'shake things up'). I did start losing weight more easily (have about 30 lbs to lose but have always been athletic and worked out, just not so strict on diet in the past few years, doing infertility treatments).

My question is how do you decide to try Armour instead? I go to the Endo. tomorrow and see the results of my latest TSH and free T's but was going to ask about Armour just to ask. I know people have a lot of issues and decide to change b/c of that, but I basically feel 'fine'......my only symptoms would be the infertility (been trying almost 7 yrs, "unexplained" diagnosis), weight and sometimes have joint stiffness/tingling in hands/feet.

Just been reading so much about Armour lately and didn't know if it was worth a try.
THanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: How to decide to change to Armour if all is "well"?

I wanted to tell you GIFT works great for unexplained infertility.....I am limited to what I can say on the boards here...... but I have 19 year old twins to prove it.............. best of luck to you.......................

If you are in the Houston area I recommend Dr John Buster Reproductive Endocrinologist or you can write him.......... He is very knowledgable...

Sincerely, Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm an Armour user... it's done well by me and I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't doing well with synthetics.
But I would not recommend you change anything if you've found success with what you're using. The goal with any thyroid med is to achieve health and well-being; if you have that now, you'll risk losing it by changing med just for the sake of change. Just my two cents.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Desti, Midwest's "two-cents worth" is worth a million!!! Many, many people do very well on Armour, you may or may not do well on it. I am not one of those who is successful with Armour, but I have found a pretty good balance in synthroid/cytomel. Midwest is right--if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If and when you are not feeling well, labs are out of balance, or some other reason, that may be the time to try alternatives to what you have now. But if you feel good, count your blessings!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
(female)

disti HB User

Thanks...and congrats on the twins!! I know they're 19 but hey, still congrats!!!

Well, yeah, we changed my Lev. to add Cytomel just b/c I had read so much about it online basically and b/c I had been on the Lev. for 5 yrs and wasn't really losing weight despite all my exercise. So it did bump up the metabolism some. I just met w/ an acupuncturist (haven't decided on doing it yet...) and she went on and on about Armour, so I figured maybe it's worth a try..but I also get the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part too b/c I basically feel fine. I'm energetic, hair seems ok, no brain fog, etc...just sometimes hands/feet fall asleep or I feel joint pain in the AM but it doesn't last long.

I'll discuss things w/ the doc tomorrow but just wanted some opinions. THX!

Closed Thread