Midewest If I could hug you I would!!! I called my gas company....and our ventless fireplace that we run ALL day long was putting of CARBON MONOXIDE at 16% after less than 5 minutes.......he said he could not imagine what it would be running all day long AND it is located right by my workout room and my business(hairsalon in my home)........I am in tears thinking what could have happened and I am on the phone with my dr as we speak to see about blood tests and what I need to do as I "THINK" it takes several days to leave your system. I will post to you after I get back from the DR.
HUGS AND SEE I AM NOT CRAZY BUT YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!
Hon, you have no idea how glad I am I mentioned it! You didn't say that anyone else in the family was sick, so I considered the possibility remote. But DH is an HVAC guy, so I'm well aware of CO and what it can do. I just thought it was the responsible thing to tell you.
Well... I truly hope this'll be the end of your problems. And it's like I always say.... BE CAREFUL OF BLAMING EVERYTHING ON YOUR THYROID!!!
Please, for anyone who may be reading this, educate yourself about carbon monoxide poisoning and what it can do.
Go to http://<font color="DarkRed"><b>http...tml</b></font> and tell your loved ones to read it, too. When the effects of CO get to you, you may not be "with it" mentally enough to recognize the symptoms and make a connection to CO toxicity. If everyone in the family knows, the chances are greater that someone will report it.
THANK YOU AGAIN!! and a question maybe you or your husband can answer...........I went to the dr...........Would the Carbon monoxide still show up in my blood or not? It showed neg............but my Co2 was elevated by 2 points..........I went to the dr about 3 hours after the gas man was here and the fireplace had been off for about 2 hours before that. I sure hope that was my issue and I feel better. Guess I was hoping the CM test would show it in my system, but I had been in open windows(yes in 12 degree weather) for a few hours and felt ok............another thing for me to study on the web.........we life in a NEW house 3 years old and this would never have crossed my mind!
I believe in fate and everything happens for a reason and there is a reason you posted what you did today!
CO is eliminated through the lungs. Half-life of CO at room air temperature is 3-4 hours. One hundred percent oxygen reduces the half-life to 30-90 minutes; hyperbaric oxygen at 2.5 atm with 100% oxygen reduces it to 15-23 minutes.
So does this mean that I could have been having symptoms of the exposure but the test was negative because of the time I was removed from the source of Carbon Monoxide??
We had a remote car starter in one of our cars, until we had an CO incident.......One night the car started down in the garage and we didn't know it. It ran for awhile. I had gone down to lay down in the bedroom because I was feeling a bit nauseus. My husband discovered that my car was running because he felt a vibration in the bathroom and went to go check it out. It's a good thing, too. My infant daughter's bedroom was just above the garage. The very next day I had that remote car starter removed and have never had or wanted one since. I hunted the internet and I found a couple of stories of that happening, but not too many. Didn't matter to us - we got rid of the starter. And, I don't know what happened. Perhaps it just malfunctioned or perhaps a neighbor had a car starter and a similar frequency.
thank you midwest! holey moley how perceptive can a person be? will you be my doctor please?
fusion i hope you are feeling better.
could everyone take a moment now to add "carbon monoxide detector" to your shopping list? PLEASE!! i bought one several years ago and it most likely saved my life at one particular apartment i had rented. the alarm went off in the middle of the night. the gas company came, confirmed there were unsafe co2 levels in the air, and the next morning the techs removed a dead squirrel from the exhaust stack. it was blocking the exhaust and redirecting the deadly fumes back into the house. yikes!! ALL my friends and family bought co2 detectors after hearing my story, and i hope fusion's experience will convince everyone to go buy at least one detector.
...So does this mean that I could have been having symptoms of the exposure but the test was negative because of the time I was removed from the source of Carbon Monoxide??
Yes, that's probably so. If your toxicity level is relatively low, it can clear pretty fast once you get into fresh air. People who pass out from it need pure oxygen to recover, such as that in a hyperbaric chamber. I only know this from what I've read over the years; DH refers to himself as a "dirty ol' furnace guy"... LOL. He isn't really up on CO poisoning treatments.
Fusion... I've been thinking about you all day. I'm just so darned happy this turned out well for you and your family, I can't get it out of my head. I'm also glad you called the gas company while waiting for me to respond to your followup post.
A ventless fireplace, eh? I'm leery of anything that creates combustion gases that aren't exhausted from the building. Just too risky for me.
I too believe things happen for a reason. I'm not a religious person, but I am a spiritual one. I appreciate all of the applause, ladies, but I can't take the credit, because I'm not sure what put the thought into my head... maybe an ?